Silstar 12' Heavy Feeder rod

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have been given a Silstar "Traverse X" Heavy Feeder Rod. A search on the Internet has found a few mentions of it being an ideal barbel river rod.

I have not done any river fishing yet and so far (I have only been fishing less than two years) my fishing has been mainly on commercials, with a bit of canal fishing - dropshotting - thrown in.

I was wondering if this rod would be suitable for feeder/ledger fishing larger still waters for bigger fish?

Also what size/type of reel would you suggest would make a good pairing with it?

Ralph.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's a pretty old "match type" feeder rod. No doubt that it will cope with the odd barbel, but don't get to thinking that it's directly comparable to a modern barbel rod.

It should be fine for larger than average fish on a stillwaters. It might be a bit long for smaller waters and tighter pegs though.

fishplate42

Reaction score
It's a pretty old "match type" feeder rod. No doubt that it will cope with the odd barbel, but don't get to thinking that it's directly comparable to a modern barbel rod.

It should be fine for larger than average fish on a stillwaters. It might be a bit long for smaller waters and tighter pegs though.

Hi Sam, I realise it will not compare with a modern rod but thank you for confirming my thoughts that it might be suitable to use on a larger water. I think I may take it with me next time I visit Bridges Lake at Monk Lakes. That lake covers over 16 acres, so the length will be useful.

Ralph.