Which Umbrella ?

yorkieman

Reaction score
Must buy a umbrella after getting caught out last week.
Looking online I'm overwhelmed with choice and prices.

What size 45-50 ?
Decent make without been ripped off ?
Material ?

Thanks

mikench

Reaction score
I have no doubt that you get what you pay for. I bought a Michigan 70 brolly from Amazon and I think it cost £12. I would never use it in windy weather but then I wouldn't go fishing! I took the view that it would be a good starter brolly until I found my feet, decided I liked the hobby and whether I would fish in the rain! I can always buy a better one in due course and use this one to protect my kit etc.

It works fine when there is a little shelter in the form of overhead trees, no wind and vertical rain. I can even fish after a fashion from beneath it. At the price you cannot go far wrong!:)

B

binka

This question comes up frequently and the general consensus is the 50" Korum.

Go for the fibreglass version if you can, it's lighter and more forgiving as the spokes have better memory if it turns inside out on you and they will bend back to their original straight profile.

I've destroyed the steel spoked version but the fibreglass one has got me baffled so far despite turning inside out on several occasions.

B

binka

Any brolly in high winds will get wrecked

It will.

Some will go further than others though and we fished on the end of an insane wind the weekend before last, there was a Met office warning in place but yours truly still thought he could get his brolly up :rolleyes:

It ended up with the two pegging points being ripped out the ground and two 48" banksticks, which were being improvised as storm poles, getting ripped out too with one of them beyond repair.

A similar set of circumstances which killed my steel spoked Korum but the fibreglass one is still going strong, I'm pleased to say :)

I think a lot depends on how well you can get the brolly up and secured before high winds sweep in as it's nigh on impossible trying to do it in the middle of them, I managed it last winter (before the winds started) and it held firm all day.

robertroach

Reaction score
I bought a cheap brolly about £15 I think from memory (rapidly failing memory) but it was about 15 years ago, so it has lasted well. I have been thinking I should replace it for the last couple of years because it really needs to go to umbrella graveyard, but not sure it can be recycled.

I think I will treat myself to this Korum job. I notice it weighs 3 kilos which compares with 4.5 kg for my old one, so that is in its favour. I seem to carry my gear for miles along river banks, so the weight is important.

B

binka

Whichever brolly anybody buys I would definitely say that a solid power spike will be a 100% improvement over the hollow, tubular ones that brollies generally tend to come with.

For the sake of an extra tenner it's well worthwhile but factor in the extra weight if you're carting it for long distances or just swap back to the tubular one on those occasions.

I think my power spike is a Gardner but others are a plenty.

Edited to add: Links to a couple of power spikes...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dinsmores...ca5f25:m:mXTgsiIdXS8zdVvfZC9c5wQ#ht_874wt_956

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATERLINE...em2ed536802a:g:q8wAAOSwDk5T42Y8#ht_1458wt_956

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I still have my heavy wavelock brolly which is around 30 years old and it has refused to turn inside out in several winter gale force winds. It wraps around the user a lot more than most brollies which may be why it has always refused to blow inside out (so far).

I don't know whether they still sell them these days but it's certainly the brolly to have on a windy wintery day; as long as you have arms like cranes because it isn't light LOL.

NB: I also have a lightweight version for normal rainy conditions but being retired I rarely go fishing on rainy days so it rarely gets used any more.

Keith

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Whichever brolly anybody buys I would definitely say that a solid power spike will be a 100% improvement over the hollow, tubular ones that brollies generally tend to come with.

For the sake of an extra tenner it's well worthwhile but factor in the extra weight if you're carting it for long distances or just swap back to the tubular one on those occasions.

I think my power spike is a Gardner but others are a plenty.

Edited to add: Links to a couple of power spikes...

Dinsmores Power Drive Umbrella/Brolly Ground Spike Pole | eBay

WATERLINE SOLID ALUMINIUM POWER DRIVE FISHING UMBRELLA POLE SHELTER GROUND SPIKE | eBay

Absolutely agree. A solid spike is a must or in any kind of wind you'll end up with a banana shaped alloy pole. I have a Korum 50" and its a good bit of gear....been inside out a few times and [so far] not permanently Binka'd.