Items not designed for fishing

steve2

Reaction score
What do you use in fishing that wasn’t designed for fishing.
Some of things I use tablet tubes to store baiting needles and weights, makeup bags for catapults, beads and trace wire from hobby shops. I never buy bait stops I find bits grass or reed just as good. Have in the past used nuts and bolts when fishing snaggy areas.
What do you use that could save us money.

robtherake

Reaction score
Rigid tubing from cotton buds; men's toiletry bags for reels; padded baby bottle bags for the same purpose; Stork embroidery scissors, which are sharper than any of the "braid blades" on offer; pipe lagging for rod protection and rod rests (it grips the edge of platforms, making a brilliant low rest for float fishing.)

There must be many others...I'll have a think on it.:)

Keith M

Reaction score
When I was younger and had to count my pennies I used to use old spark plugs for fishing at range when I was fishing for Pike.

And like thousands of others I used Yellow Fairy Liquid washing-up liquid tops for line bobbins.

And if I had a rod which had loose reel fittings which meant that the reel would occasionally fall off I would roll a short section of bicycle innertube over the rod handle so the reel would fix a lot firmer.

And I also used to use the odd waggler float made from plastic straws.

Keith

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
My much used apple corer; All the natural elements used for float making such as feathers, cane etc. and endless list of baits from bread, sweetcorn onwards, but I suppose we are not including this sort of thing ?

Like robtherake I also use all sorts of bags to store reels like those found with expensive ladies shoes at time of puchase...I'm usually offered this type of thing before they are binned..

ps I suppose it's just possible that some think sweetcorn was only ever a fishing bait...............................................Nah..

( The Pringle boxes are top notch for floats with a bit of foam top and bottom to protect the ends )

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Like many from my generation - women's curlers as feeders during the late 50's/60's.................

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
A toothbrush holder for small floats and disgorgers.
Thin plectrum for stubborn shot.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Small ' lip salve" applicator for dabbing on float bristles to aid buoyancy...

Also handy for chapped lips in winter...

john step

Reaction score
As a kid I lived right next to the Chase at Dagenham. We used to find wonderful little flat hinged tins to store hooks in.
One of the older and worldly wiser boys saw me picking them up from the long grass and laughed, telling me they were dunky tins.

Only when I got older did I realise what a dunky actually was.:eek:

B

binka

Like many from my generation - women's curlers as feeders during the late 50's/60's.................

Now come on Jerry I've seen those old photos, who's curlers were they really? :eek: ;) :D

My nomination for an item is Superglue, I've never glued a pellet in my life but it has come in handy on a few dozen float stems and a host of other things over the years.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In years gone by I used many Old Holdorn tins for storing all sorts of small items including leger weights etc.

My tackle box looked lore like a tobacconists store to be honest . . . . a friend's Dad used to smoke the stiff so I had a ready supply from him.

wagglechance

Reaction score
I always have some micropore in my box. It's that sticky tape for bandages. Brilliant stuff. Cheap as chips too. Waterproof and can be moulded round things without leaving catch corners and tabs like electrician's tape. You can tape a glow stick onto a waggler and it will last all night. Plus you can see the light through it.