Method feeders

yorkieman

Reaction score
Sorry for all my questions relating to fishing but I'm a new starter and still confused.

Fancy having a go with a Method Feeder and seen the "Preston" and "Band-it" types.

The Band-it with 4 feeders and 1 mould for £5.99 seems good value but the Preston make does seem better quality but more exspensive.

What would be your choice and what weights ?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I used the Preston Method Feeders for a long time and my view is that they are well worth the money.

That said, I recently have tried out the new-ish Guru Hybrid method feeder and have been very impressed with them.
The they come in different sizes of: 24g, 28g, 35g and 45g so cover the full spectrum of possible needs.

They cast, and as importantly, retrieve very well, and have a very safe elastic system.

Guru Hybrid Feeder

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I too am a novice and found all the various baits, tactics, feeders and other tackle confusing. To save money buy just one of the feeders you like. I bought a preston one with a mould and tried that. Sometimes my pellet mix wouldn't stick and other times it wouldn't come out but you adapt and just squeeze a dollop in your hand onto the feeder.

I then bought some Drennen ones and some Guru ones. I have enjoyed experimenting with them all with varying degrees of success. On balance I like the elasticated feeders and have caught more fish with them.

You will lose some and have to buy more so try different ones. The venues will have an influence so weedy, snaggy waters may not be suitable for the method.

I hope my advice is not an example of "the blind leading the blind";)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've been using the Drennan ones for the last couples of year

if you find the mix won't come out of the moult you have not got the mix consistencey right

try soaking the pellets (if that is what you are using) a shorter time

I use 2mm pellets - in a bait box - cover with water and then drain off and leave - sprinkle a little ground bait just to add a "cloud" to the water - get an atomiser to spray a little water on the pellets as they dry

mikench

Reaction score
That is what I do M'Lud or at least try to. Sometimes they are perfect and sometimes not; it depends if i am distracted! They usually become so however!

rayner

Reaction score
Well I use skretting pellets because they are easy for me to get hold of.
Micros are my choice for method. cover pellets with water and immediately drain of all the water. This works perfectly every time.
The mould I use is the small Guru mould with a soft bottom, this mould fits almost all small feeders. I've used Guru, Preston and Drennan with the same mould.
One thing with method feeders is when you squeeze your bait in the mould give it an extra squeeze to really firm it up so no feed comes off till it gets to the bottom.

mikench

Reaction score
Do you buy the micro pellets (2.3mm) in 25kilo bags? They would last me forever! I cannot see them available in smaller quantities!

laguna

Reaction score
An obvious bias opinion, but actually the >SLED's (inline lead/method/bolt) is a safer option and a significant improvement on traditional lead systems like elastic feeders, fixed leads and lead clips. Its all I use now on stillwater due to the anti-fall-back safety feature. I like to fish inline method with very short hook-links using paste. 12g, 15g, 18g

SLED_Method_In-line_lead(w.600).jpg

Do you buy the micro pellets (2.3mm) in 25kilo bags? They would last me forever! I cannot see them available in smaller quantities!
Smaller quantities cost too much, I don't think people want to pay £2.50 per Kg + £3 P&P. Not too bad if you buy other items together but then you spend more. A lot of tackle shops and pet shops have them in.

Chefster

Reaction score
An obvious bias opinion, but actually the >SLED's (inline lead/method/bolt) is a safer option and a significant improvement on traditional lead systems like elastic feeders, fixed leads and lead clips. Its all I use now on stillwater due to the anti-fall-back safety feature. I like to fish inline method with very short hook-links using paste. 12g, 15g, 18g

Smaller quantities cost too much, I don't think people want to pay £2.50 per Kg + £3 P&P. Not too bad if you buy other items together but then you spend more. A lot of tackle shops and pet shops have them in.
2 Things ,what are the benefits of that type of feeder over all others available?,and whats wrong with popping into your local tackle shop and buying a bag of pellets,also fisheries sell them,why on earth would anyone think of ordering a 1k bag mail order??

laguna

Reaction score
2 Things ,what are the benefits of that type of feeder over all others available?,and whats wrong with popping into your local tackle shop and buying a bag of pellets,also fisheries sell them,why on earth would anyone think of ordering a 1k bag mail order??

Whenever you lift into a fish using normal inline leads, it will fall back towards the fish into the 'danger zone' so a lot of anglers tend to use longer hook links or use fixed or elastic feeders. When a fish bolts it send the >SLED up the mainline out of harms way, and helps prevent it falling back so you can you use very short hook-links and will come off if the mainline breaks. Great for my tench fishing :w

We sell a shed full online but most tend to combine a bag or two with other products to save on postage. I guess he was asking where he might buy just small bags of pellets? Its not really worth the cost buying just 1 bag online when a lot already sell in tackle shops and pet shops. I'm sure there's one local to him.

Chefster

Reaction score
Whenever you lift into a fish using normal inline leads, it will fall back towards the fish into the 'danger zone' so a lot of anglers tend to use longer hook links or use fixed or elastic feeders. When a fish bolts it send the >SLED up the mainline out of harms way, and helps prevent it falling back so you can you use very short hook-links and will come off if the mainline breaks. Great for my tench fishing :w

We sell a shed full online but most tend to combine a bag or two with other products to save on postage. I guess he was asking where he might buy just small bags of pellets? Its not really worth the cost buying just 1 bag online when a lot already sell in tackle shops and pet shops. I'm sure there's one local to him.
What stops it coming back down the line,is it bent or kinked,and stays put on a tight line?,a bit like the Maver c-lock feeder/in-line system..Gazza

tom_moran

Reaction score
I tend to use micro pellets on the method too. Skrettings usually and I buy them when ever they are on sale at sd for 75p a kg. I have used hinders little gemz aswell and I definitely caught more fish but ****** me are they expensive

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

robtherake

Reaction score

At last! Someone mentioned these on the "How'd you get on..." thread but deigned to elucidate when I professed my ignorance. Nice product.:thumbs:

laguna

Reaction score
What stops it coming back down the line,is it bent or kinked,and stays put on a tight line?,a bit like the Maver c-lock feeder/in-line system..Gazza
No not bent or kinked line Gazza.
Its a comparable system using one of the free universal inserts that adjusts and conforms to the line itself and stays put. Accepts line diameters of 0.2 - 0.5mm
(reusable inserts can also be used independently on the mainline to transform any in-line lead into a sliding bolt rig)

SPLITSTOP-sliding_bolt_rig.png

The >SLED is brand new, small ones available so far (12-18g) with larger sizes and different designs planned for the future. Even the small ones like these mice don't take much to move (a little shake) and will move up the line staying in position when the rod is raised after the fish has bolted.

I like the anti-fall-back safety feature, but I also like knowing what's happening at the business end of the rig. This helps me to distinguish between a dropped bite or simple liner. Example, if the bait is still on after reeling in I wouldn't know if it had been picked up and dropped and might assume the rig is working correctly. But the position of the >SLED up the line tells me exactly what's happened (even if the bait is still on or not) - useful for making any critical adjustments to the rig for better hookup's.

IMGP3902(SLEDw.600).jpg

mikench

Reaction score
God knows where your looking ,everywhere sells them in small bags

I was looking at Skrettings pellets on their website and others. If you know where smaller quantities can be obtained pray tell:)

robtherake

Reaction score
God knows where your looking ,everywhere sells them in small bags

I was looking at Skrettings pellets on their website and others. If you know where smaller quantities can be obtained pray tell:)

You'll find that many shops buy in bulk and split them down into smaller quantities and sell them in plain packaging, Mike. It's fairly common knowledge, but as you're only just reigniting your interest it's not something you'd be expected to know.

mikench

Reaction score
I thought that was the case. I will continue to buy them in 1 and 2 kilo quantities! I foolishly bought some bulk charcoal a few years back and if I had a Bbq every day , they would last me a lifetime.

I keep them in a garden shed and mice are not interested but big bags of pellets on the other hand............!

Cheers Rob.

yorkieman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I decided to go for the Preston, but my local shop didn't stock them only the cheap unbranded version so I bought those.
Bad mistake as the mould was made of silicon and simply too soft to act as a proper mould

So going to another tackle shop to find a Preston.

Another question related to Method Feeders -

Looking on YouTube it shows various baits been loaded to method feeders, one was pellets but my pellets ( bought for bands ) are very hard and couldn't possibly be moulded so are there special pellets for feeders ?

I seem to buy everything twice -

If Madonna had triplets I'd be the one on the bloody bottle !

Thanks again.

rayner

Reaction score
Looking on YouTube it shows various baits been loaded to method feeders, one was pellets but my pellets ( bought for bands ) are very hard and couldn't possibly be moulded so are there special pellets for feeders ?
QUOTE]

The pellets you mention are hard pellets that have just been softened with water to make them sticky.

---------- Post added at 05:48 ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 ----------

Most pet food merchants sell pellets in smaller quantities. Where I go they range from £1.99 to £2. 60 per kilo depending on the type of pellet.
Tackle shops always have pellets a little dearer or fisheries sell the same pellets at a more inflated price.