Hair Rigs

yorkieman

Reaction score
Sorry another question !!

I shall shortly be buying some Hair Rigs to Nylon for when I have a chosen a Method Feeder.

Now the problem is the breaking strain of the Hair Rigs like -

"Size 14 and BS 7.6lb" and cannot seem to purchase with any less BS for my 8lb main line.

Thought the idea was to have a reasonable differential of maybe 2 to 3lb in case of breakage.

Thanks again

Please keep your PC booted as more questions may be following...lol.

greenie62

Reaction score
I can understand your dilemna - the problem is that with a standard short (4") method hook-length the breaking strain of the hook-link isn't the same as the normal rating for the line thickness - in that there's no stretch in such a short length - IMO I reckon about 75% at best - so a 8lb hook-link will break at about 6lb tops. Factor this into your buying/tying.:eek:

sagalout

Reaction score
If the hook link is a modern hi tec co polymer then it's breaking strain is true, but your average cheap as chips mono filament mainline has a breaking strain higher than stated.

The short hook link has a two weak points (knots) in a short length.

For method fishing I use 8lb (daiwa sensor) mainline and 9lb (guru n-gage) hook link. I

laguna

Reaction score
Please keep your PC booted as more questions may be following...lol.

Keep on asking mate, just remember there is no such thing as a daft question and we were all beginners once - even after 50 years angling we still keep learning!

I can understand your dilemna - the problem is that with a standard short (4") method hook-length the breaking strain of the hook-link isn't the same as the normal rating for the line thickness - in that there's no stretch in such a short length - IMO I reckon about 75% at best - so a 8lb hook-link will break at about 6lb tops. Factor this into your buying/tying.:eek:
Good answer! What about my 2" hooklink?
Its why I use braid rated 22lb bs :p

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It's always easy to say to someone ' tie your own, it is SO simple ' but in this case it is true, as tying a simple hair rig with a knotless knot can be mastered very, very quickly and you can then use whatever line strength you want for best presentation.

I'm not too good at loading stuff for you to consider so I suggest you just Google ' hair rigs ' and you will have all you need to get you going, and it is cheaper too !!

Someone on here might just load some decent vids for you, and I'm sure that in an hour you will have just what you need. I sit and tie mine in the evenings ( in front of the television ) using all sorts of braid & nylon and of a strength that will be dead right for my fishing on the day !!

Give it a go !

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
It's always easy to say to someone ' tie your own, it is SO simple ' but in this case it is true, as tying a simple hair rig with a knotless knot can be mastered very, very quickly and you can then use whatever line strength you want for best presentation.

I'm not too good at loading stuff for you to consider so I suggest you just Google ' hair rigs ' and you will have all you need to get you going, and it is cheaper too !!

Someone on here might just load some decent vids for you, and I'm sure that in an hour you will have just what you need. I sit and tie mine in the evenings ( in front of the television ) using all sorts of braid & nylon and of a strength that will be dead right for my fishing on the day !!

Give it a go !

the Korum quick stop can be tied on with a simple over hand knot - then the knotless knot with the hair the length you want - you can vary the length to suit your bait size