Lifting fish in the landing net

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
A bloke fishing yesterday broke his landing net pole buy lifting a decent carp out by lifting using the handle

I list by holding the rim of the net

How do others lift big decent carp out of the water

robtherake

Reaction score
Anything over a couple of pounds and I grab the spreader block of the spoon net and lift vertically. My usual net's quite deep, however (30" Korum barbel spoon) and I can see this maybe causing problems with a shallow one.

If it's a more traditional triangular carp net with net cord I pull back and then lift by gathering the net above the fish.

Chefster

Reaction score
If its a big fish,Hold the spreader block and lift the net vertically with the handle in the air,if not that big just slide net handle back over my legs and grab net,hold between legs unhook fish,rebait hook,drop fish in net,and reposition net,on keepnets..Gazza

B

binka

I purposely don't use overly deep landing nets for a certain reason.

I netted a barbel on one occasion and despite the fish being in (or on) the net, half of the mesh was hanging inside out over the spreader arms.

An easy fix I thought, just wobble the handle until the weight of the fish drew the overhanging mesh back down into the net.

Crunch!

Third section of a four piece Hardy Marksman landing net handle in splinters :eek:mg:

Since then I've strictly been a draw, spreader block and lift advocate.

robtherake

Reaction score
I bet he doesn't do that again!

Not with that pole he won't.:)

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

I purposely don't use overly deep landing nets for a certain reason.

I netted a barbel on one occasion and despite the fish being in (or on) the net, half of the mesh was hanging inside out over the spreader arms.

An easy fix I thought, just wobble the handle until the weight of the fish drew the overhanging mesh back down into the net.

Crunch!

Third section of a four piece Hardy Marksman landing net handle in splinters :eek:mg:

Since then I've strictly been a draw, spreader block and lift advocate.

I bet you told Hardy it was a dud. ;):wh

flightliner

Reaction score
He should have done a quick "bending moments" calculation then factor in a margin of safety of two---- once the equilibrium of forces required for structural stability are disturbed then it's obvious the pole will break--- even a five year old knows that !!