Shiney Hooks

peterjg

Reaction score
Your advice and ideas would be most appreciated. Is there a simple way to take the shine (dull down) off of shiney hooks? I quite like the look of the Kamansan Animal hooks but I am put off by their shiney surface. Would soaking them in vinegar or lemon work or would it make them worse? I've dabbing them with a permanent marker but that did not work, any ideas?

robtherake

Reaction score
You could try mounting them (just nick the point in) on a piece of foam/cardboard/polystyrene then giving them a quick flash over with some aerosol paint. I've painted shiny carp hooks with modeller's matt acrylic paint, but TBH there was no appreciable difference in catch rate.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Do you actually have good reason to be wary of shiny hooks? I appreciate that current trends are going down the matt finish road, but how many people really had a problem that required the matt solution? I have found it interesting that I first noticed the matt finish trend in out and out carp gear. Most of the crossover into the general coarse market seems to have been through "sister" companies that serve each market.

Unless I'm hair rigging, I really couldn't care less what the finish of a hook was. I'm far more concerned with sharpness, durability and pattern.

john step

Reaction score
I have not had problems with animals. I think line dia./ flexibility matters more.
Have you looked at Kamasan B911 which are dull?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Bare metal hooks DO have a negative effect. Metal has a taste which is best masked when angling - put a coin into your mouth! Coated hooks are superior, no question about it. Maybe less so in trotting situations or when the fish have less chance to inspect a bait, but coated hooks win hands down on stillwaters for sure.

laguna

Reaction score
I have not had problems with animals. I think line dia./ flexibility matters more.
Animals are one of the better sellers and they are really shiny. I have no problem with shine but I do (did) have a problem with metals in water repelling fish.

Bare metal hooks DO have a negative effect. Metal has a taste which is best masked when angling - put a coin into your mouth! Coated hooks are superior, no question about it. Maybe less so in trotting situations or when the fish have less chance to inspect a bait, but coated hooks win hands down on stillwaters for sure.
Absolutely right Geoff!
I'm experimenting with dandelion juice.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Shiny, bronze or black I couldn't care less, if one worked better than others I would stick with it but to me if they are sharp enough and strong enough they are good enough.

barbelboi

Reaction score

Or for a stronger hook the B911X - I've been using them for years in preference to the Animals. Just a personal preference.

robtherake

Reaction score
Or for a stronger hook the B911X - I've been using them for years in preference to the Animals. Just a personal preference.

Tried them recently (size 10) and really rate them. Prior to that, the rather excellent Mustad Stillwater Extra Power have been my go-to small hook where strength is needed. I like the bigger than usual eye, which makes hair-rigging and Palomar knots a sight easier.

MUSTAD STILLWATER EXTRA POWER (Barbless - Spade End)

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been using Kamasan animal hooks for years in both still and running waters and as far as i'm aware they've never reduced my catches. I've even used them with hair rigged baits and again had no reduction in catches, if anything my catches have been improved. I have no idea if the animal hooks are bare metal or if they're coated with something but either way they catch as good as any other hooks i've used and will continue to be one of my favourite and mostly used hooks.

Rob, mustad do do a lot of excellent hooks!

stevejay

Reaction score

If the fish has enough time to sense the taste of a metal hook I suggest you should be striking sooner :)

For me over the years I have used nickel, bronze, red and even blue (Lion d'Or) hooks as have my mates and none of us have found any difference.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've been using Kamasan animal hooks for years in both still and running waters and as far as i'm aware they've never reduced my catches.

The fish are probably laughing so much at your line that they forget about the hook.........................;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The fish are probably laughing so much at your line that they forget about the hook.........................;)

LOL, that did make me laugh bb :D...and i'm still laughing posting this :D

steve2

Reaction score
I the distant past I used shiny Sealy Speed Barbs for all my fishing never stopped me catching fish. Also never found a reason dull shiny split shot , put matt varnish on rods or paint everything camo.

laguna

Reaction score
A bare hook puts fish off NOT because of what it sees, its down to the electro-negativity of metal conducting in a soup of dirty water that fish can detect.

scenario; a size 18 with single maggot covers more hook compared to a single maggot on a 14.

Bigger size hooks means more metal exposed to the electrolyte (dirty water), and is especially evident (to fish) when the bare metal is used in conjunction with leads, swivels and tungsten putty etc. in close proximity.

Dissimilar metals rank due to their nobilities.
You can electroplate iron/steel nails in a solution of copper sulphate - without electricity just by dipping it.

A coated hook is better than a bare hook, coated with 'something' or coated with bait...

stevejay

Reaction score
A bare hook puts fish off NOT because of what it sees, its down to the electro-negativity of metal conducting in a soup of dirty water that fish can detect.

A coated hook is better than a bare hook, coated with 'something' or coated with bait...

And your source of this insight is.............?
Find it odd that I have caught on a bare hook at times, and not just mackerel fishing!

laguna

Reaction score
And your source of this insight is.............?
Find it odd that I have caught on a bare hook at times, and not just mackerel fishing!

Yep some fish slip up now and then, it doesn't mean it makes no difference. Your just as likely to foul hook as you are catching with no bait on.

Source? a hell of a lot of shared evidence between academics the world over. Also our own findings (Laguna is the research arm of our business) suggests there's good reason why previously caught fish seldom approach from the bare side of a hair rigged hook... hardly a revelation of sorts.

I'm sure you've heard the saying; match hook size to the bait? You don't catch more fish due to hunger putting bigger baits on, you catch more because the hook is better shielded.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wonder why spinners have bright silver/metal flashy bits as well as shiny metal trebles. Even set ups for sea fishing have bright shiny add-ons for attraction.
If silver hooks put fish how is it that I catch lots of various species of fish when using them? Are kamasan animals bare metal or are they coated with silver to make them more attractive to fish?