close season on rivers

flossy

Reaction score
What are your thought,s on this ,many i speak too would like too see it dropped .

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
flossy

I reckon a lot of the debate depends on where you live and I know where you live.

The river you fish successfully, are raped by many different factors in the closed season.

Cormorants, Otters, and EEs are deterred in the fishing season, when there are plenty of eyes about to monitor these things.

Of course if you live in an area where these things don't happen, then you can live with rose coloured glasses on and advocate the retention of the traditional closed season.

On the other hand, you like me have seen wonderful fishing rivers virtually destroyed by the above actions and devoid of fish as we once knew them.

Bob

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
flossy

I reckon a lot of the debate depends on where you live and I know where you live.

The river you fish successfully, are raped by many different factors in the closed season.

Cormorants, Otters, and EEs are deterred in the fishing season, when there are plenty of eyes about to monitor these things.

Of course if you live in an area where these things don't happen, then you can live with rose coloured glasses on and advocate the retention of the traditional closed season.

On the other hand, you like me have seen wonderful fishing rivers virtually destroyed by the above actions and devoid of fish as we once knew them.

Bob

"One more time around Piccadilly Circus":eek:mg::rolleyes:

theartist

Reaction score
Nice early start to the cs debate though so does this mean we can talk about something else in late between March and June ;)

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Does it matter how many times the Close Season it discussed, if the older poster don't like it, too bad, it will still be discussed ?

Bob

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'll just echo my opinion from "all" the other discussions/arguments on the subject.....

.......abolish the closed season, it's a daft rule that serves no purpose other than allow the fly anglers the rivers for themselves and also allow easy pickings for invasive human fish eating types !

rayner

Reaction score
Does it matter how many times the Close Season it discussed, if the older poster don't like it, too bad, it will still be discussed ?

Bob

I agree Bob the close season my well have been covered on numerous occasions.
The thing is unless a ruling is made to prevent rehashes then it will be covered again and again.
For my take on it it should stay as it is. If a fisheries expert like Bruno Broughton was to call for a ban then I most likely would listen to what he had to say, otherwise my opinion is as valid as everyone else.
I believe those calling for the close season to be dropped are only calling for it to prevent them having a few weeks offI've heard all the excuses why it should be abolished but I'm afraid it doesn't wash.
Especially the EE argument.
As far as I'm concerned fish will always be taken unless there is a change to the by laws.
I'm sure not many anglers are aware of the rules regarding the taking of fish, if they are they choose to ignore them.
I personally am as close to eating fresh water fishes as walking on a high wire, it will never happen.
So long as people abide by the rules regarding numbers and size limits there's no problem.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree Bob the close season my well have been covered on numerous occasions.
The thing is unless a ruling is made to prevent rehashes then it will be covered again and again.
For my take on it it should stay as it is. If a fisheries expert like Bruno Broughton was to call for a ban then I most likely would listen to what he had to say, otherwise my opinion is as valid as everyone else.
I believe those calling for the close season to be dropped are only calling for it to prevent them having a few weeks offI've heard all the excuses why it should be abolished but I'm afraid it doesn't wash.
Especially the EE argument.
As far as I'm concerned fish will always be taken unless there is a change to the by laws.
I'm sure not many anglers are aware of the rules regarding the taking of fish, if they are they choose to ignore them.
I personally am as close to eating fresh water fishes as walking on a high wire, it will never happen.
So long as people abide by the rules regarding numbers and size limits there's no problem.

Err, if you argument is that the fish need to be left alone whilst spawning then why where lots of fish still spawning just two or three weeks back and we were allowed to fish for them?
Also there's the argument that canoeists, paddlers etc still use the rivers and paddle, scrape their boats over reds, bail out and push their boats disturbing the gravel and exposing the eggs etc etc. Game anglers walk over the spawning grounds and often catch the very coarse fish that we are stopped from fishing for. Same applies for the closed game angling season, coarse anglers catch lots of out of season trout and even salmon, probably many more than the game anglers do during their season ....so WTF is the point of it?....it's just daft!

thecrow

Reaction score
I was a few years back in the "keepit" camp however I have changed my mind having been persuaded by many good arguments on here and other forums.

The biggest persuader (other than the one the wife uses :D ) for me is the fact that it is in its current form not fit for purpose, Pike and Perch spawn early but its ok to fish for them, others species spawn on temps which are variable both because of weather conditions and geography, plenty of fish have not spawned by the time the season opens although it was never brought in to protect spawning fish this is the reason most often given, it just doesn't hold water when scrutinised.

Other none fee paying river users are not stopped from doing what they want, walkers paddlers, swimmers dog walkers, all disturb the environment more than an angler but its only us anglers that are stopped.

To think that the presence of other anglers on the bank is not a deterrent to our feathered or EE friends is imo very naïve, its open season for them to fish where and how they wish taking whatever they please.

There is imo no reason to retain the current closed season other than sentiment.

theartist

Reaction score
A lot of times the argument of disturbing breeding is raised as is the predation issues but what if those breeding grounds are opened up all year round with a nice little path you could walk down, dogs could walk down, paddlers can walk down and of course undesirables could walk down?

I know a heck of a lot of rivers that are nicely overgrown in spring offering a lot of protection. I think the smaller rivers, streams and brooks will be affected by the lifting of the cs more than the bigger rivers. Some may benefit from the cs going whereas some could be damaged. Notice the 'may' and 'could' folks, as there seems a lot who know exactly how it's going to turn out because canals and commercials are open. How any comparison can be drawn between these and our rivers is beyond me

I'd like to see some rivers opened up but on other rivers I couldn't think what could be worse. Therefore maybe it should stay the same? Or maybe it should go? The ideal scenario would be a trial for a decade but that's not going to happen. There are arguments for both camps and anyone who says otherwise is totally blinkered.

flossy

Reaction score
Rivers round where i live get fished too death during the close season by ee,s absolutely makes me sick,know one gives a monkey,s .It,s only when were back on them that we all do our bit to help bailiffs prevent it.More time on the bank =less fish taken for the table.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Exactly flossy, Ivory towers and all that.

The EEs are decimating rivers in the close season when anglers are thin on the ground around London and I'm sure other areas, but some angler would rather maintain an outdated bylaw that has little or no reference to todays situation.

Bob

flossy

Reaction score
Exactly flossy, Ivory towers and all that.

The EEs are decimating rivers in the close season when anglers are thin on the ground around London and I'm sure other areas, but some angler would rather maintain an outdated bylaw that has little or no reference to todays situation.

Bob
Could,nt agree more Bob.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can just about cope with the closed season. However, as it amounts to just a couple of days that I can't be on the river trotting, perfectly legally, perhaps that's no surprise. The reality is that our local byelaws render the coarse closed season to be largely irrelevant.

thecrow

Reaction score
I can just about cope with the closed season. However, as it amounts to just a couple of days that I can't be on the river trotting, perfectly legally, perhaps that's no surprise. The reality is that our local byelaws render the coarse closed season to be largely irrelevant.

Which only goes to show how ridiculous the CS in its current form is.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
The CS became redundant once fishing on canals and pools suddenly became allowed. If spawning was the reason why river fishing in the close season was considered unacceptable why was fishing still waters OK? I'll abide by the rules but TBF, they're a load of boll@cks

flossy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input lads on this debate ,can see that it really does need looking at .