centrepin

bullet

Reaction score
I'm,looking to get a centrepin after years of using a fixed spool.
It will be used mainly on my matchpro ultralight for trotting.
Wondering what people would recommend, I don't mind spending a bit if I have to.
Ben

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think your gonn'a receive plenty differing opinions on that question.
There are quite a few to think about but to cut the list down to a few good ones i'd recommend you look at the okumas and the youngs reels and pick out one you like the look of, they all perform pretty much as good as one another so it might be down to aesthetics....aerial types etc.

I forgot to mention that you will also have the choice of a bush and pin or a bearing reel, the ones i've mentioned are all bearing types.

mikench

Reaction score
Can they be sensibly used on a still water and is so what are their advantages if any? I plan to go river fishing soon and will be interested in the responses!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm,looking to get a centrepin after years of using a fixed spool.
It will be used mainly on my matchpro ultralight for trotting.
Wondering what people would recommend, I don't mind spending a bit if I have to.
Ben

To start with, until you decide what's what, an Okuma is hard to overlook. Barring the Trent (Sirata), they are all basically the same reel in different clothing. Buying second hand isn't a bad idea to keep costs down. You are also likely to get your money back if you decide to sell.

Can they be sensibly used on a still water and is so what are their advantages if any? I plan to go river fishing soon and will be interested in the responses!

Yes, provided you don't wish to cast to the horizon. Different casting techniques can extend maximum casting ranges, but you are unlikely to outcast a fixed spool reel, especially in the short term.

greenie62

Reaction score
Can they be sensibly used on a still water and is so what are their advantages if any?....

I use my cheapo centrepin for fishing margins on the local bowl-shaped commercial. The scream of the ratchet echoing round the amphitheatre stops all conversation!:eek::D

trotter2

Reaction score
You cant go wrong with an okuma for your first pin, good smooth bulletproof reel. Aventa pro is a nice reel
OKUMA AVENTA VT-1002 CENTERPIN | eBay

The Okuma is a bearing reel, after you get the hang off it you may want to try a true pin reel.
Not essential but nice to try both types and decide which direction you want to go.

greenie62

Reaction score
...The Okuma is a bearing reel, after you get the hang off it you may want to try a true pin reel....

For someone new to them - could you please explain the difference, in-use, between the two? :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
For someone new to them - could you please explain the difference, in-use, between the two? :)

I use both, I don't much care which I use. There are differences in feel, the way they give line etc. However, an absolute beginner is unlikely to care or notice. You've got enough to worry about learning how to use your new toy from scratch.

trotter2

Reaction score
We have had this topic before LOL
Its a slight difference in the way it casts and pays line off the spool.
As Sam said don't worry about it learn the basics for now

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a centrepin to simply drop my float in the margins, you may as well make do with a fixed spool for that. Again if the reel is only for very occasional trotting sessions i'd make do with a fixed spool...jmo .

If I was limited to one centrepin it would be a bush and pin.

robertroach

Reaction score
I have 2 bearing pins and 2 true pins. I would recommend a bearing pin for a beginner for trotting because they run a bit more easily (mine do anyway), so the float pulls the line off more easily.
I have a TFG Classic centre pin which is pretty cheap and also performs really well.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Possibly the main difference to a beginner between a true pin and a bearing pin would be that the true pin responds better to being held horizontally whilst trotting and a bearing pin is pretty much the same horizontally or vertically.. ..

mikench

Reaction score
Do you reel in and play the fish in the same way as a FS?

Would I like one? If someone said would I like a curry, a Porsche, an Hd/4K telly or a Harley the answer would be a resounding yes; so what about a centre pin?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Do you reel in and play the fish in the same way as a FS?

Essentially, yes. However, you don't have a drag system and gears. If you want a slipping clutch it's your thumb, otherwise you are going to have to backwind. Another alternative is to engage the ratchet when playing a fish. Not something I do, but it works for others.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Sam ! In argun terms is it like just using a PCP such as a Steyr or Daystate and then trying a springer!!!

For no air rifle fans a PCP is a rifle using compressed air to fire the pellet as opposed to a spring. Smoother, quieter and no recoil!

---------- Post added at 06:47 ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 ----------

Thanks Sam ! In argun terms is it like just using a PCP such as a Steyr or Daystate and then trying a springer!!!

For non
air rifle fans a PCP is a rifle using compressed air to fire the pellet as opposed to a spring. Smoother, quieter and no recoil!

A different beast all together!

sam vimes

Reaction score

A reasonable analogy, PCPs being far easier to use than springers. If you want an easy life, stick with a fixed spool. If you fancy a bit of a challenge, want something that's essentially very simple, something that requires practice, but gives a certain satisfaction when you get it right, try a pin.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score

For no air rifle fans a PCP is a rifle using compressed air to fire the pellet as opposed to a spring. Smoother, quieter and no recoil!

---------- Post added at 06:47 ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 ----------

A different beast all together!

mikench

I have no idea what you are taking about ?

Although I do have a lot of centrepins, they require a degree of skill to use properly and the one to one playing of fish has to be experienced to be appreciated.

You can do exactly the same with a FS, but it will not give you the feel and often overlooked, you cannot play the fish as quickly on a pin, which is an advantage in some circumstances.

Bob

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have 2 bearing pins and 2 true pins. I would recommend a bearing pin for a beginner for trotting because they run a bit more easily (mine do anyway), so the float pulls the line off more easily.
I have a TFG Classic centre pin which is pretty cheap and also performs really well.

Err, not quite true, I have bush and pin reels that will turn with the merest breath of air.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Got just one, pin not bearing and it's by far the easiest way to run a float down a river. Would have to say, as one novice to another, a decent fish on a fixed spool can be dealt with relatively easily if the drag is set correctly, for a novice, the pin takes some getting used to unless you're happy losing fish when you apply too much pressure. Thought I had it right last week until a Carp just "took off", handle hit thumb, grabbed pin, line parted, fish lost:rolleyes:

More practise required!