So far this season.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Is the fishing living up to your expectations, or have weather conditions had a negative effect on your efforts?

In my own case, on the few occasions I have managed to get out weather conditions have conspired to screw it all up. I'd resolved to fish surface lures on a nearby water, but was stymied by high winds.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have yet to have a full day coarse fishing this season but have been out a fair few times with the fly rods.

So far the season has been pretty good with a fair few over-wintered fish from the river and lots of heavies from the local lakes.

This one is just 3 minutes in the car from my house . . . .

Club Lake

I am looking forward now to the Grayling tickets on the river commencing end of this month.

Avon Springs Fly Fishing

john step

Reaction score
Not so good this year so far. The tench have been fewer. The cold spring seemed to hold things back then the recent hot weather seems to have made things dour.
The carp have been as cooperative as ever but the barbel:( Just realised this thread was under lakes but the river barbel lack is a similar thing for me.
I am hoping things change in the autumn.

I have just thought of a "by thread" on this Derek which I shall post so as not to divert this one.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Distinctly average since June, but I have done a lot of messing around on unfamiliar waters, that probably don't merit the attention. However, I've rarely found July and August to be particularly productive months, regardless of the venue. Though I'll miss the warmth, I'm quite looking forward to the slightly colder weather and the grayling.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've always had my best barbel and chub fishing from July to the end of September (contrary to most other peoples experiences, mid-day in bright sunshine) although this year has been less productive than usual. Saying that I don't think it's helped my catches by only doing short'ish sessions and not going as often as usual. I'm hoping this tear in my tendon and my back start to improve so I can get out asap and put a bend in my rod. I am looking forward to some grayling fishing later in the year but still have my eyes set firmly on my favourite pastime which is trotting for barbel and chub.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is my third year since returning to fishing and have to say this has been the worst Summer yet. The weather has had a dramatic effect on conditions down here in the SouthEast, the wind seemed to blow incessantly for months on end earlier this year and then in he past few months we have had next to no rain, hopefully it will come good this Autumn for some stripey hunting.

robtherake

Reaction score
Since -for various reasons - I'm unable to fish running water, my fishing has been largely unaffected by the weather. Add in the fact that the stillwaters I've haunted can hardly be called challenging and you'd expect reasonable results, and I'd say that has been true, within the limits of my abilities.

What has been pleasing is that the species that were targeted have been coming to net more often and it's inspired confidence that I'm on the right track. It's been a long road - it's difficult to build up a head of steam as an occasional angler - but it seems I'm over the hump and taking the first shaky steps towards being a thinking angler once more.

Last edited:

flossy

Reaction score
Rivers near are next too dry almost ,been very poor with only a few limited swims too fish which hold a drop of water ,think the fish then feel pressured ,looking forward too mid autumn and winter now.

thecrow

Reaction score
Not been to good on the river front but that's down to a combination of things the biggest of which was/is me, but the other side if the coin is getting back onto still waters joining the club that has the water where it all started for me some 60 years ago, I had forgotten how magical it can be seeing a float disappear and then the flash of a decent roach.

So for me it has been a good season so far partly for reasons other than fish.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm having a mare ! Started well with some good days on the Bury Hill crucians and tench plus some excellent trout fishing but since about June I've hardly caught a thing. The crucians went right off andd my assault on the Wey barbel is , as you all know, turning into a disaster of quite epic proportions. It will soon be time to get me zander rods out but I'm not done with these bloody barbel yet. I've unfinished business on both the Wey and the Wye.

All in all though....the worst season I've had for a long time but on the plus side it can only get better and I prefer winter fishing to summer any day. I'd like to think that this is all building up to something a bit special but that doesn't normally happen to me.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had some good days on Bury Hill earlier in the year and had some nice roach from Milton lake. My efforts since have followed Skippy's efforts and been distinctly poor. Other trips have been a bit hit and miss as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk