Flitting about.

john step

Reaction score
Dereks post on this year so far prompted me to wonder if my poorer than usual results this year are due to my flitting about.

The trouble is I have several clubs and waters paid for like most anglers.
I tend to fish them all if I can, but in retrospect perhaps it would be better to concentrate on one or two like the specimen boys seem to do? I don't think I have done them justice time wise.

This year due to family commitments I have managed at most twice a week.
To those who are at work and have children this may seem a lot but to me retired, I just can't seem to get a grip on it this year. Two days just doesn't seem enough.

Autumn and the perch, zander and pike will be calling and it feels like the year has raced by far too quickly.

How do you get on time wise in regard to everything angling wise that you would like to do? Do you just bite the bullet and concentrate on less?

flossy

Reaction score
Exactly that John ,over the last few season,s ,have stopped the temptation of buying different clubs permits and just concentrated my effort,s on a few close too home ,found that i,m being rewarded more, where i,m spending more time learning these waters more,my effort,s this autumn and winter will be my perch fishing ,good luck with yours.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I like flitting about between venues and, to an extent, fishing methods. However, my preference is undoubtedly to fish the float. I know full well that flitting between venues is not exactly conducive to good results. Far better to concentrate on a smaller number of venues and get to know them really well. Unfortunately, though I have done exactly that in the past, I tend to get bored with it and the amount of time and leg work it entails. I've no doubt I'll have another phase of being single minded in the future, and results will be commensurate with the effort I put in. However, for the moment, I'm content to flit about for more meagre results. I like fishing new venues and the challenge that presents. Once it comes down to the effort required to really crack a new venue, I'm not that interested.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I get an annual BAA ticket which gives access to a lot of river in the midlands.
However. I'm often tempted to fish a private stretch of the Salwarpe though, purely because I just enjoy it and have a little knowledge of the swims. I suspect it would take more years than I'm likely to be around to actually be as knowledgeable about the Severn
To date I've struggled on the Teme and am now contemplating trying the Trent on the BAA stretch. So much river, so little time:rolleyes:

I'll "Flitt" around for a while :)

B

binka

I suppose that first and foremost we go wherever to fulfil the urge which is the greatest at any one particular point in time.

For me, variety is the spice of life and if that means ticking the box which seeks it at the cost of better results by concentrating on a particular water then so be it, I will have enjoyed my fishing and that matters more to me than mastering one particular venue.

rayner

Reaction score
I was forced down the route of local venues by circumstance rather than design in 98.
Though there are a large number of venues in and around Sheffield, with the help of friends I have fished most.
One is quite tricky to me and that's the one I favour. Unfortunately friends that I did fish with hate the place, I on the other hand have been seduced by it and feel compelled to fish there. fishing alone has always appealed to me more, I suppose that makes it easier.
So flitting around has been dropped in favour of just the one at the moment.
It's the largest locally, deepest and the most challenging for me.
Results go from very poor to average with the rare occasional day a year that are really exceptional.
More fish and bigger weights can be caught from other venues and friends prefer that.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To my mind it all depends on what you want (or are able) to get out of you fishing.

It is undisputable that by concentrating on just one or two venues then you will get to learn the different nuances of the place during the entire gambit of conditions, and thereby your catches should improve.

This is even more true of the match situations where by flitting around from venue to venue turns you into just pools fodder. Even some of the match "greats" only got that way by concentrating on one or two venues.

If however it is the challenge that attracts more than the results then, of course, there is a greater challenge in switching between venue to venue at whim.