Finding new waters

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
A couple of yeas back I was out walking with my dogs when I found a water new to me that is only a few miles away but very secluded and hidden
I've fished it a couple of times

What surprises have you found

theartist

Reaction score
Lots of free waters full of grayling, day ticket waters that hardly get fished, massive shoals of uncaught roach, rivers that i'd never even heard of that are better than their more illustrious counterparts down the road, Urban streams full of pristine trout among the trollies, hidden ponds amongst the trees, tiny reed lined drains a foot wide. I'm on a quest to fish as many waters as I can and it beats fishing a commercial every day. As Mulder used to say - They're out there

Most of all i've found a sense of adventure i'd not since had since I was a kid

steve2

Reaction score
When I was still at school I read a book called the Exploring Angler by Tag Barnes, I still have a 1st edition of it on my shelf. Along side a 1st edition of Small Stream Fishing by David Carl Forbes. These books took me done the road of hunting done those out of the way places. Found many unfished farm ponds and small streams that at the time held a few fish. Got chased off a few even got caught fishing someone’s overgrown garden pond. Mind you when I say garden pond it was bigger than some of the small overstocked ponds we now fish.

With the passing of time most if not all of these have dried up as the water table dropped through over abstraction. They still show their selves after high rainfall but soon dry up again.

Last edited:

maurice walsh

Reaction score
here in the land of eternal rain there's ALOT of seldom if ever fished lakes and streams/small rivers, i have on occasion gone the extra and indiana jonesed some of them with sometimes nothing for my effort but mostly got something, some nice tench, 20lb plus pike, cracking bream/roach/hybrids, from farm ponds to brush/tree ringed unsighted lakes and small rivers/streams most within 20min drive from home, still have a few in the dwindling memory that i must go back to and give a proper go at, i have gone on www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk when i was living there and OSI.ie to see whats about, you would be surprised what you might find even close to home

rayner

Reaction score
I'm not saying for one minute that I only fish one water but new waters are not a concern for me. I have no ambition to change waters at the moment.
When I fished rivers I spent most of my time on the tidal Trent.
These days I spend most of my time on the same commercial.
The particular venue I fish has 6 ponds, the one pond I generally find myself is over 10 foot deep, it's a pond I fished as a lad. Of course the stocking has changed. When I was a lad it held the usual fish types, it seems like Carp and Ide. The old stock is still there or at least their offspring are, the bigger roach show occasionally but they rarely get the chance now. As for Perch it seems only wasps are in the pegs I fish.
When this water bores me I will change.