Centrepin reel for left hander??

philc

Reaction score
Good Afternoon
Can anyone suggest a centrepin reel suitable for use by a left-hander? preferably an inexpensive one.

trotter2

Reaction score
A lot of the old pins are set up for a left hander.

robtherake

Reaction score
Quite a few pins have a reversible line guard which is held on by a couple of screws and it's only a minute's work to swap them over from left to right. The Grice and Youngs reels that I've owned had this facility and so does the current TFG Classic.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
And lots of the cheap modern pins come as RHwind, if not it usually an easy job to turn the pawn mechanism round to make it RHwind.

Bob

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I have an Advanta IKON just 2 small screws to change the line guard over nothing else to do .i use mine the opposite side to most people i can only wind with the right hand most people seem to wind with the left hand .

PG ...

mikench

Reaction score
I am right handed but have all my reels with the handle on the left as I rewind with my left hand and hold the rod with my right! Is this normal?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I am right handed but have all my reels with the handle on the left as I rewind with my left hand and hold the rod with my right! Is this normal?

Mikench

It's normal for right handed people, but a mate of mine who is left handed does exactly the same as yourself !!

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score
Left handers are rarely specifically catered for with modern pins. However, most can be used by left hookers with minor issues. These issues include ratchets not being as strong going the "wrong" way and ratchet knobs/levers being less than ideally placed. The only centrepin I've encountered that is utterly useless for a left hander is the Okuma Trent (Sirata/Sheffield DRII).

The modern Hardy Conquest catered for left hookers by having two ratchet pawls. Unfortunately, the way the ratchet lever works meant that such an accommodation was a little pointless. :eek:mg:

Barring a slightly weaker ratchet, I can't see a left hooker having any issues with Okuma pins, bar the discontinued (in the UK) Trent.

The bad one

Reaction score
Mike it's normal and I grew up the FIRST time using pins as you do.I also use fixed spool reels the same way and have done since I archived the centre pins in the late 1960s.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Oh good I'm normal; well, at least in this respect so there!

Mike

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score

Yes your a very normal person.

philc

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers. very helpful.
kind of wish i started fishing as a right hander and just gotten used to it.
i think i may try the Waterline Ikonix range as they look okay for a centrepin virgin who doesn't want to spend a fortune.
Just out of interest, am i the only left hander who finds trotting with a fixed spool reel awkward? the line comes off the spool in the wrong direction and it seems to snag on my finger (it may be me being a bit of an eejit i guess)

greenie62

Reaction score
... am i the only left hander who finds trotting with a fixed spool reel awkward? the line comes off the spool in the wrong direction and it seems to snag on my finger ....

Alan Tyler has made several comments and posts on this - in the past - and has identified the odd few reels which wind the line in a manner suitable for left-hand trotters. I don't think any are currently in production - but I dare say he'll chip-in to this thread - if he's not out fishing!:rolleyes:

Tight Lines:thumbs:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Alan Tyler has made several comments and posts on this - in the past - and has identified the odd few reels which wind the line in a manner suitable for left-hand trotters. I don't think any are currently in production - but I dare say he'll chip-in to this thread - if he's not out fishing!:rolleyes:

Tight Lines:thumbs:

I suspect that it'll be the old Mitchells (410A, 300 etc) that'll be brought up. The rotors on them turn the "wrong" way for normal people.;):D

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Dead right.
There is a system for striking onto the wrong side of the finger, lifting that finger out of the way of the closing bail-arm and transferring the line; someone posted on here and I'm blessed if I can remember which saint it was!
The smaller Mitchells went the right way round - look out for the 315, 207 and 209 (the latter has better quality gears), 309 and 409.
Abu laid a bit of an egg with their 663,664,665 series, which had the line lay correct for southpaws; they and the simpler Dragmaster DM2, DM3 etc. series often turn up on ebay.

As for centre-pins, its only really the placing of the check lever/button that can be a small annoyance, unless some goon has irreversibly fixed a line-guide on the side you don't want it.

A decent Trudex, with its line guard (which can be removed for calm days and Wallis casting BUT store it and the screws somewhere VERY safe) is hard to beat for the money - about £40-50 on ebay (risky) or £60-80 for a safe one from a known dealer - Jim Hudson at the Vintage Tackle Company springs to mind.

barbelboi

Reaction score
kind of wish i started fishing as a right hander and just gotten used to it.

Why don't you start. I'm a left hooker and have now been happily 'fishing as a right hander' for over 60 years. Makes things so much easier...........