Close face reels Abu 507.

dicky123

Reaction score
Just wondered how you play a fish on these reels. The clutch seems very weak, just wondered? Does anyone use this reel?

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers.

ribblemeister

Reaction score
I had one of these reels and used it for all of 1 and a half hours it was a total disaster due to line going around the black line release button to such an extent that I had to cut the line on numerous occasions .
Took it back to the shop and swapped it for a 506 of which I have not had any problems.
Regarding the clutch I never use it to be honest as I prefer to backwind the clutch I believe is not a very smooth one especially for lighter lines.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Just wondered how you play a fish on these reels. The clutch seems very weak, just wondered? Does anyone use this reel?

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers.

If you go for the 507 make sure it is the MKII BUT check the amount of play in the gearing and the spool carrier also make sure you can actually fully locate the spool .

I have a 507MKII that i have solved the problems with and it is a great reel now but it was dire never had the line do anything it was not meant to .

PG ...

trotter2

Reaction score
Go for a 506 mk2 or an older 706 , those new 507 reels weight a ton and just look massive on a modern rod.
On top of that everyone I know who bought a new 507 has had problems with it.

Most people backwind with a closed face reel TBH the clutches are not up to much.

ribblemeister

Reaction score
As trotter says the 507 is a disaster so much so that I actually got in touch with Abu which is now pure angling and made an official complaint because there were so many disgruntled 507 owners with the same problem.
In my opinion there has only ever been one other closed face reel that could better the abus and that was the green edition of the ryobi cf1 unfortunately not available anymore and this reel did not have a drag it was backwind only.
If they reproduced this model ryobi would make a fortune.

trotter2

Reaction score
I agree the Ryobi green techno was the best closed face reel ever made.
Big spool light as a feather and build like a brick s---t house.

Abu has tried to correct the drag problem associated with closed face reels and created a total disaster. People who use closed face reel have no problem with back winding its something we have done for years. All you need on a closed face reel is a forward and reverse, keep the size and the weight down and your on a winner.

Lets face it there is no competition get it right and you will sell a shed load

bracket

Reaction score
I fished a centre pin almost from birth, from the late 1940's to the 1960's. During the 1970's and 1980's, I fished nothing but ABU 506/507's. After extensive modifications these reels fished a dream. In the 1980's I bought a Diawa 125 close face reel and since that time it is the only close face reel I ever use. I can only describe it as faultless. Never needed to alter it in any way, shape, or form. When I do some trotting on the River, I use both centre pin and close face reels. But when I really mean business I put on the Diawa. Not wanting to upset any of the centre pin purists here, and I can use one as good as any, but a good close face reel has the beating of a centre pin in any situation, in the right hands. Pete.

greenie62

Reaction score
After having initial problems with my 506mkII - most of which have been pointed out here already - I've gotten used to it and much prefer it when trotting, or speedfishing on still-water - using it one-handed casting is simple and the absence of a bale-arm to have to flip-over means fewer bumped fish.

The only real disadvantage of the reel is in fighting a fish in deep moving water - the reel just won't allow you to reel-in - even with backwind deployed the clutch seems to slip far too easily and you have to 'pump' the line in - hauling the fish up against the current and then winding down towards it! - repeat until you can get the fish above the net and then drop it back in.

I thought that this was just a simple matter of the reel just not being 'man-enough' for the job - so looked forward to the announcement of the 507mkII. When the local shop got them in stock, went and had a look - not for me! - just felt clunky and over-heavy - disappointed!:eek:mg:

After reading other's comments on the 507mkII - I'm glad I saved my money - might get a Daiwa next time - there doesn't seem to be much choice in other brands in this country :eek:

trotter2

Reaction score
I have been using a CF reel since the late 70s the early models 506mk1 and 501 were indeed built better, but the newer 706 and 506 mk2 have more winding power.
I have got rid of my early abus and kept the newer models that may come as a shock to some but I believe the newer reels are better after long term testing.
I had a daiwa 125m at one point but got rid the drag system was very good, better than the abu but it was wasted on me as I only backwind the downside to the daiwa is gears were prone to stripping. Maybe I have used the abu reels to long for change :(
All closed face reel do not have the winding power of say a shimano fs there plus points are simplicity in use, less tangles and speed fishing.
You can handle bigger fish just take your time . They really excel used for dace and roach on running water. Great reels :)

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
This is such a personalised topic as every closed face reel anorak (fanatic, etc :)) has their own weapon of choice. I own a number of Abu's and Daiwa 120s, 123s and 125s but my personal favourite is the DAM "coffee grinder".

None of them are geared for big fish (some early Abu's notwithstanding) but decent fish can be landed if played carefully. They are small fish match reels for trotting and if the quarry is anything bigger than medium chub then I change up.

That said, I love them to bits - I just don't know why, really, but I do suspect Trotter does as well? :)

robertroach

Reaction score
My experience is the same as Brackets - after all sorts of problems with my Abu 706 which I bought about 5 years ago, I finally gave up and bought a Daiwa 125.

That was the best thing I ever did, it has been faultless, never even a tangle. The drag works much better than the Abu and it's a real pleasure to use.

Obviously you have to bear in mind it's not a reel for carp or the best choice for really heavy duty trotting, but it suits most of my float fishing situations.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Yep, fair play to you. The 125 is a workhorse and I fully agree regarding the drag but, personally speaking, backwinding with the DAM puts a huge smile on my ugly mug.

As I said, it's a very personal thing. Glad you found the 125 and are happy with it.

The other thing about closed faces is that, for a modest outlay via fleabay, one can build up an interesting and varied collection pretty quickly.

I'm back in work now but I wish I were trotting......:)

trotter2

Reaction score
This is such a personalised topic as every closed face reel anorak (fanatic, etc :)) has their own weapon of choice. I own a number of Abu's and Daiwa 120s, 123s and 125s but my personal favourite is the DAM "coffee grinder".

None of them are geared for big fish (some early Abu's notwithstanding) but decent fish can be landed if played carefully. They are small fish match reels for trotting and if the quarry is anything bigger than medium chub then I change up.

That said, I love them to bits - I just don't know why, really, but I do suspect Trotter does as well? :)

I do very much so.:)

dicky123

Reaction score
As I've not used the 507 mk 11 I cannot comment on the old one, but on my 15' trotting rod its balance is perfect. It also goes nice on my much lighter Daiwa team 13'.

Il try back winding again, thanks.

I will say it sounds like a bag of bones when you wind in, but for trotting I prefer it to my very expensive centre pin.

Thanks all.