Fight for your Pits!

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_events/headlines/18431-the-ticking-time-bomb.html
thumbnail.php

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:22 ----------

Look at what I've just seen...

Parents who believed their son, 7, was killed by cyanide gas from a landfill during severe floods are slammed for ‘inaccurate evidence’ as coroner rules he died from toxic fumes from a petrol pump at their home | Daily Mail Online

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Editor

Certainly is a problem, one that's going to become ever more common, with a government who is hell bent on building on every available spare bit of land is the name of low cost housing.

The people who are living in crowded accommodation, small flats or bedsits will jump at the chance of a new property even if it is built on a refuge dump.

And with the decline in anglers on the bank to stand up for fishing, I think the filling of gravel pits will become ever prevenient.

Bob

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I'm surprised this subject has only attracted the one comment - from Bob Hornegold - so far. Back-filling has profoundly affected thousands of anglers' lives and wiped out countless areas of (un)natural beauty. Is this silence due to our resignation of what is seen as the inevitable? Does anyone here know of a successful campaign against back-filling? If so, what were the tactics? Would viewers be prepared to participate in 'direct action' where and when necessary?

sam vimes

Reaction score
If large swathes of the rest of the country have more in common with my locale than the South East, I'm not surprised that there's little comment. Having travelled to the Wraysbury area, and been based in Oxfordshire for a time, I was always staggered by the sheer number of gravel pits available to anglers and other recreational users. Companies such as Cemex were once very keen on angling and the income source it brought.

Cemex, and others, operate in my area too. There are large numbers of gravel pits within a mile or two of my front door. Currently, only two are available to angling, with just one more slated to become available. The pits vary from very mature (30 years plus since working) to still in operation. In most cases, operations are due to be completed in the next year or two. Cemex, in their angling heydey, never showed any inclination to extend their angling operation beyond the South East and Notts/Lincs. I know because I pestered them often enough and was largely ignored. When I did get answers, they were always negative. Just a single Cemex Angling gravel pit, filled with what would have been considered tiddlers in their southern waters, would have become an instant Mecca for huge numbers of North East anglers.

A couple of the local workings have never been used for anything other than landfill. I suspect that use will have been a condition of planning permission.
Those lakes that could support angling, or other recreational activities, remain largely inaccessible. The landowners simply do not want public access of any kind. I know that clubs and syndicates have been proposed to several different owners and been refused. I've knocked on doors of landowners myself, some of whom I've actually known, to no avail, even for just me.

Whilst having good waters turned into landfill is hardly desirable, for anyone, the realities of living in a densely populated part of a small island mean that rubbish has to go somewhere. The pragmatic view will remain that utilising former gravel workings is better than many other options. In a way, based on my experiences, I'm inclined to suggest that South East anglers should be rather grateful that so many gravel pits ever became available to anglers in the first place. Whilst they may exist in other locations, it doesn't automatically follow that angling sees any benefit.

thecrow

Reaction score
I only know of one place that was due to be used as a refuse tip in my area, it was an old clay hole that was saved because anglers reported finding white cray fish in it, the council then banned angling and turned it into a park for dog sh!! and junkies needles, brilliant!

flightliner

Reaction score
I was in a notts carp syndicate with two intertwined gravel pits ,one year it was announced that they were to be backfilled by powergen, a working party by the members helped remove the resident carp, the following year it had sheep grazing on the new field, a great shame but who could take on such a big company as was then?.