Ah, that moment!

B

binka

The baits all sorted, the sarnies are made and it's time to put the feet up and enjoy a couple of cold beers before that highly charged, night before anticipation transforms into disappointment after tomorrows session.

Well that's how it seems to work out quite often of late!

But tomorrow will be different ;)

To be fair I think I've had it too good for several months as nothing bad is happening, I think I'm just going through a reality check.

Anyone else been through the angling doldrums recently?

B

binka

Safety in numbers eh fellas?

At least I know I'm in good company, I feel better already :)

terry m

Reaction score
Yes, me too.

Was reflecting earlier that this summer has been the worst for actual results, in a very long time.

Here's hoping for a better autumn!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Anyone else been through the angling doldrums recently?

Yes, struggling to even drum up enough enthusiasm to get out of the front door with any gear. I've prepped all my kit on several occasions only to put it all away without loading the car.

As for general angling results, stillwaters seem to have been ok, but little more. My regular deep water gravel pit has been all over the shop. We know from weight drops of fish caught that some fish spawned (late June/early July), but there was no other evidence of it happening. In the last week or so, there has been plenty of evidence of the carp spawning. Very, very late, even for a second spawning, by any reckoning.

When it comes to rivers, most people I speak to have had a fairly poor summer. Fishing seems to have been patchy and inconsistent. Probably no surprise when both temperatures and river levels have been up and down so regularly.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, struggling to even drum up enough enthusiasm to get out of the front door with any gear. I've prepped all my kit on several occasions only to put it all away without loading the car.

Don't take so much, it makes it a lot easier ;).

Uttings just sent me a new one of those slings :D.

peterjg

Reaction score
Ok, ok enough moaning chaps. Finally I have decided to reveal my secret for getting a bite - every time I go fishing I take a piece of Sainsburys fruit cake - every time I start to eat it I get disturbed by a fish - simples!!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
After missing the best part of three months of fishing, and probably the best of any season, I then found myself trying to get back into it during the worst period, this being August.
It took time to even begin to enjoy it again and many times I found myself sitting on the bank asking, why am I here ? On the plus side I'm pleased that I did get to fish every time I set off whereas in the past I've either failed to get out the door or I've turned back, sometimes having reached the water. However, it will always be one week at a time.....

The past week or so, results wise, has been pretty good and in the main I've gone home well pleased with my catch, BUT those missing months still rankle as I missed the chance of real quality roach, something that I'd planned for over many months. I certainly cannot complain as many would be over the moon with such catches, but it still seems like a personal loss................Perhaps I ask too much of myself and, likely as not lose the plot round just enjoying whilst I can - who knows, eh ?
This past week or so has also seen an improvement in fish size ( roach ) with perhaps just the start of better conditioned fish as well. Also, the actual fight has been little better. The odd lovely crucian has also shown up in perfect nick - an absolute joy to behold.

No, it doesn't do to be too hard on yourself, so if the desire or the ' can't wait ' feeling leaves you then perhaps it's time to just let it be for a while and do something else, all of which is rich coming from me !!!

Looking forward to late autumn and then winter fishing when I'm planning to roach fish the Thames, but as I say, one eek at a time.......

ps Off subject, but the elderberry experiment, if I can call it that, has given mixed results. Some very nice roach but long spells of nothing between fish. The reason for this escapes me.....................................Scenario ; A dip of the float, then a sail away bite with a good roach the result, followed by another even bigger. Then more than an hour of ziltch followed by 2 /3 fish some 7" long...........Mmmmm.

pps Binka's ' that moment '....Ah, what would we do without it, eh ?

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Ok, ok enough moaning chaps. Finally I have decided to reveal my secret for getting a bite - every time I go fishing I take a piece of Sainsburys fruit cake - every time I start to eat it I get disturbed by a fish - simples!!!

Hey Peter - enough of the product placement!
Are you getting free samples from S'bury's?

The magic 'bite-attractor' also works with almost any food item - particularly if it's the sort that will fall apart without full 2-handed attention! It happens with a Ham Salad butty too!:eek:
That mayonnaise dripped down your fly can take some explaining away, too! :eek::eek:mg:
Tight Lines!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Smell the roses along the way.

I think it was a Golfer who said that and for my part it's true.

The anticipation is as important as the going fishing, I don't really expect to catch much these days, but I go in the hope of catching.

I was set up to go for a couple of hours yesterday evening, but in the end I felt to rough and watched the tele ( Para Olympics ).

I use to think the " Being There " was rubbish, now I have a totally different perspective on life and indeed " Being There " is as important !!

I'm doing my first Perch Trip next week of this year and I cannot wait, I know I'm unlikely to have success, but I will be at the water side and that's what counts for me now.

Bob

mikench

Reaction score
I envy many of you expert and experienced fishermen who have enjoyed this hobby for many years! However I, and many like me who come to it late have an advantage over you! We are still in the flush of inexperience and derive enjoyment from just getting to the peg, setting up, threading line on your rod without missing an eye, falling in or having a tangle , and creating a simple rig . I can still express pleasure about catching because it is still new and exciting ; a tench whoa:)

There is so much to learn and I for one love the process of learning and the pleasure it gives. I hope my skills are improving and that this results in good fish care. I too can be put off by the weather, a water fully occupied and a blank. However we are alive, free to do it and happy to do so most of the time. Many are less fortunate!

I feel a new rod purchase coming on:rolleyes:

rayner

Reaction score
I proper struggled from last September to get any motivation to even tie hooks, a thing I normally do when I can't fish.
Joining this forum gave me the kick start I needed. I suddenly got the urge in February this year and got straight back to it as if I never had a lay off.
Having my cataract done next week and will have an enforced two week lay off.
That will be a litmus test.

mikench

Reaction score
I hope all goes well Rayner! You will be able to see a float at 50 metres afterwards:)

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
August generally means I'm spending more time in Wales where fishing is limited to pools and although I caught a PB Carp from a venue where it's rare to land anything but Roach, it's felt a little flat, probably because the redfins have only reached the pound mark. A Chub on the Salwarpe has been my best river fish and Barbel and decent Tench continue to elude me.

Still, one good session tomorrow can easily change that:) I think I might try the "Fruit Cake approach:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully this one will meet expectations.

Yeah, hopefully it will as I really like it, it's the best method ive found for carrying my trotting gear comfortably.

I'm thinking of a quick trip to the local stream and try the sling out but my achilles tendon is putting me off....seriously hurts when I walk!

rayner

Reaction score
I hope all goes well Rayner! You will be able to see a float at 50 metres afterwards:)

Thanks Mike but I'll settle for seeing it at ten metres at the moment.
Getting back to being able to dot a float down has been an ambition for a good few months.

PS.
I've been a fruit cake for a fair few years and my catch rate is still on a downward turn.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
I knew I should have kept quiet - now you'll all be eating fruit cake. I should have shares also in Warburtons bread, the roach love it.