Chick Peas - Soaked 24hrs

magicone

Reaction score
Having soaked the dried Chick Peas for some 24hrs placed in container with boiled water.

Do I still need to boil them for any length of time, I don't want them to be soft like the Tinned peas.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Chick peas are a great bait, not used by many. I hair rig them but have found that no matter if they are soft or a little harder, keeping them on can be a problem.

I hair rig mine and also use a pellet band, seems to solve the problem.

good luck.

magicone

Reaction score
Thanks,

But do I still need to boil them, either to neutralize them from growth or to soften them.
Read most boil them for some 20mins, wouldn't a flash boil of 5/10mins be sufficient to neutralize or soften them enough whether they are hair rigged via a bait band or drilled and hair rigged with a stop.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Lots of seeds put out nasty substances to protect themselves when they're at their most vulnerable stage - when they have taken in water and softened up to germinate, but have not yey got their first leaves up into the light to feed themselves.
So, to play it safe, soak any seed , to start germination; chuck away the soaking water, boil hard for ten minutes to break down any Lectins (as per red kidney beans)and to stop germination, then fish one out and bite it/attempt to hook it. If hookable/biteable, drain and cool; if not, turn down to a simmer and test at ten-minute intervals.

My own preference with chickpeas and wheat is to soak for twenty-four hours, drain, then cover with a damp J-cloth and leave them to carry on germinating for another whole day, to continue turning all the indigestible "fartogenic" starches into sweet sugars. Then boil, then simmer.