Is fishing being banned?

steve2

Reaction score
Is fishing being banned on waters near you?
I have noticed on waters I use to fish years ago and still try to fish more and more now have restrictions on them in the name of conservation. Some have fishing banned altogether on others fishing banned in areas of the lakes or rivers.
On the rivers I have been fishing the list is getting longer, no fishing near moored boats, no fishing near locks, no fishing near bridges and the latest one I came across no fishing opposite the cottages. Other bans I come across are no barbed hooks no treble hooks no live bait no ground bait the list is getting endless.
Is there a movement to get fishing banned by the back door.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If I were you Steve then I would be questioning the veracity of many of these "signs" which may, or may not actually have any binding strength or authorisation behind them.

Anyone can erect a sign but only those with official backing are enforceable.

So, check with your local council, local clubs and associations and with the Angling Trust particularly those concerning no fishing around moored boats or bridges etc.

I have heard of some less than honest paddlers (and boat owners) who have been erecting signs without any form of authorisation.

rayner

Reaction score
The marinas on the Sheffield canal have restrictions where boats are.
Has for banning angling by any door it will never happen. I have only heard of antis with regard to banning angling from other anglers. I believe some anglers are frightened to death by something that will never happen. They are suffering a sort of bogey man syndrome, the bogey man is not there neither are the antis.
If they are where are they.
Where boat owners are resident I can understand they don't want disturbing when they are in bed. The only other places I see where fishing is banned are places that are deemed unsafe, power lines for instance.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I believe the EA have a rule no fishing within 500 yards of a structure or something along those lines. Which structures I am not sure but my local lock gates they built a 500 yard fence along it with the signs no fishing, close season etc a couple of years back, it hadn't been a problem for 2000 years.
I think its more a case of the love of making rules and banning people from anything they can think of most of the time to justify a useless meaningless existence with a poor attempt of using what passes as an excuse for a brain or just to satisfy some feeble egotistical feeling that they would not be able to analyze if you asked them, it would overload their brains..

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Here's another one, 5 miles of river all fishing banned, swimming and locals walking their dogs, why? To encourage otters to come back. The whole world has to stop for an otter, one bloke told me had never seen an otter there in 20 years.
Imbeciles the lot of them.
That was the Devon Wildlife Trust or something and if you disobeyed you got severely fined big big time. All the villages hated them, they call them the Devon Nazi Trust. 1000's of years of traditional river usage down the Swanee.
But they are powerful these people, you cannot disobey them, the magistrates - all the powerful people, they have it all wrapped up for there own ends.
Rules are good when all balances and reasons have been considered, the best outcome is arrived at. But I think they take about 5 min's for some of these, we don't like it, ban it, fine it and sod the folks..next.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I believe the EA have a rule no fishing within 500 yards of a structure or something along those lines..

Got a link for that rule Mark or anyone else?

Most public stretches of water are owned by the local council thus any official signs should include the words ' By order of the council'. These days I'm seeing a lot of signs erected by the Canal and rivers trust as well which I would adhere to.
Otherwise the rules are included in local bye laws. I've scoured the net this morning and can't find any reference to fishing restrictions apart from locks and weirs where a permit is required or on Private land?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Got a link for that rule Mark or anyone else?

Most public stretches of water are owned by the local council thus any official signs should include the words ' By order of the council'. These days I'm seeing a lot of signs erected by the Canal and rivers trust as well which I would adhere to.
Otherwise the rules are included in local bye laws. I've scoured the net this morning and can't find any reference to fishing restrictions apart from locks and weirs where a permit is required or on Private land?

Ok Peter, I wasn't sure, just something I read somewhere, maybe we should all be aware of it. In my cases they were by local councils or some authority or other. It does make angry sometimes, sorry about my rant, a long standing bugbear.
Still sea fishing tomorrow hopefully ; so nothing to worry about.:) for the time being!!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Of course one way to keep the riff-raff off your secret swim is to knock up your own Private Fishing sign or similar suggesting that the fishing is owned by a syndicate/club. It isn't of course....its pure decoy.

It doesn't deter everybody but it does frighten a few off and make others think twice which, of course, is the desired effect. Back it up with a bailiff type approach and ere long you can relax & fish for your pet re-captures without being disturbed.

That said we all know a few serial sign ignorers do we not ? More than a few being former FM members.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Sorry Peter, I think I misread your post, no I have not a link to the rule, I think I was told it or read it somewhere when I complained about this fence being built 500 yards from a lock gate I used to fish and I believe I have been told it or heard it when I tried to fish a boat marina once which was in a salt water inlet.
So I am not sure but I think there is something written to that effect.
Probably an inquiry to the EA might clarify it.

ciprinus

Reaction score
Ok Peter, I wasn't sure, just something I read somewhere, maybe we should all be aware of it. In my cases they were by local councils or some authority or other. It does make angry sometimes, sorry about my rant, a long standing bugbear.
Still sea fishing tomorrow hopefully ; so nothing to worry about.:) for the time being!!!

i wouldnt be so sure about that mark, the EA have free license up to and including the 3 mile mark, be prepared for the no fishing sign to appear on a buoy somewhere near you :eek: :wh

no-one in particular

Reaction score
i wouldnt be so sure about that mark, the EA have free license up to and including the 3 mile mark, be prepared for the no fishing sign to appear on a buoy somewhere near you :eek: :wh

I am sure your right Ciprinus, a license and the banning of fishing from all structures very likely. They are there to make rules and rules they will make.

Keith M

Reaction score

Be careful Mark, I think that there is a one bag limit on sea bass in uk waters.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Here's another one, 5 miles of river all fishing banned, swimming and locals walking their dogs, why? To encourage otters to come back. The whole world has to stop for an otter, one bloke told me had never seen an otter there in 20 years.

I recon the license fee should be reduced by a % for every water lost to angling like this. How about a 0.001% reduction for every mile of water lost ?

The otter trust or rare newt society can make up the difference and pay for its upkeep instead.

Fairs fair.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I believe the EA have a rule no fishing within 500 yards of a structure or something along those lines. Which structures I am not sure but my local lock gates they built a 500 yard fence along it with the signs no fishing, close season etc a couple of years back, it hadn't been a problem for 2000 years.
I think its more a case of the love of making rules and banning people from anything they can think of most of the time to justify a useless meaningless existence with a poor attempt of using what passes as an excuse for a brain or just to satisfy some feeble egotistical feeling that they would not be able to analyze if you asked them, it would overload their brains..

500 yards seems a bit extreme i know they say not within 20 meters of a lock and not outside certain buildings but 500 yards seems somewhat excessive seems to me someone has snucked an extra zero on the end is the likely truth .

PG ...

B

binka

I know it's only one instance but who in their right mind would fish on a lock landing knowing that a boat could come along at any moment and moor up right in front of them? :confused:

The local council signs annoy me though, we have the River Maun running right through the town here and there are some nice little parts which hold chub, roach and gudgeon but everywhere you seem to go there is a sign prohibiting fishing "by order of the local council".

Just what harm they think it will do is completely beyond me :confused:

Philip

Reaction score
Is there a movement to get fishing banned by the back door.

Going back to the orginal question ...given have more restriction today on the waters and ways we can fish than 100 years ago I would say yes, its slowly but surely getting banned via the back door and I don’t see the slide stopping.

I am waiting for the day where all anglers have left are artificial moon craters of water strategically located in proximity to urban conglomerations and easily accessible by public transport where after a obligatory health and safety video (in case we fall in) we can attempt to catch artificial fish made in a Chinese factory with hook free magnets & funded by the governments new "safe angling tax".

Can't wait.

Me I got my plans already lined up …in about 25 years I will buy a camo tent and disappear with my rod and reel into the remote Australian wilderness and hopefully live out my remaining days doing what the hell I like before the fun police administrate to death the last centimeter of planet earth. :thumbs:

laguna

Reaction score
Apologies jumping on the back of this thread... there is a local park lake where fishing is NOT allowed (nobody has ever being allowed to fish it, assume legally), yet just two miles away is another park where fishing has always been allowed and is managed/leased by Bradford No.1. In fact there's also a much smaller ornamental fishing pond in this park where I first started fishing almost 50 years ago and kids still fish it today for free.

Question for anyone who might know; why is it only one park is allowed to be fished even though its under the same council?

I once attempted to contact the named area warden responsible for some answers, but he didn't reply to emails. Later I learned his post had been taken up by another and he too didn't respond so god knows who is responsible for rule enforcements.