hooks for perch

flossy

Reaction score
Would like too find out, what hook pattern have you found best, for specimen perch fishing ,mostly useing small live baits and lobworms,been suffering hook pulls.

john step

Reaction score
Just a thought! Hook pulls with perch? Are you sure they are perch? If so are you using tiny hooks?

ian g

Reaction score
I generally use circle hooks , not many hook pulls and help to avoid deep hooking.

Sakuma 440 Circle Hooks

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
flossy

This is a difficult one, I have tried numerous hooks for Perch and I don't believe there is a perfect hook.

The Perch mouth is bony and they do like to shake their head about when hooked, often throwing the bait.

I thought I had more or less sussed the hooking problem with a running rig, but last year I dropped a number of very big Perch at the net.

I have always believed that the less resistance the better with Perch rigs, but a friend of mine had plenty of Big Perch last year using rigs that incorporated heavy leads and were semi fixed ?

So maybe I was wrong all these years, I have used circle hooks and found them no better that a curved hook.

I think a lot of it is down to the striking with live baits, how long do you wait after the bait is taken, I don't want deep hooked Perch, so I tend to strike fairly quickly after the take on livebaits.

This often leads to light hooking and the Perch shaking the hook out, for Lobworms I use normal curved hooks and strike as quickly as possible.

Bob

B

binka

Hook pulls have been the curse of my life with my perch fishing.

I bought some Mustad circles with the intention of trying them for perch with livebaits but I haven't taken one on them yet although the pike and zander have seen them perform will.

As Bob says the combination of that bony mouth and strong head shaking can really give them the upper hand and I've somehow had normal hooks opened up on hooklinks that you would have thought would go first and so I only ever use heavier "X" versions now when I'm fishing maggot, prawn or worm.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been using Kamasan crab hooks size 1/0 with reasonable success. Already completed two perch sessions in the last two weeks without a fish yet although I did lose a good perch in a snag which I had completely forgotten about:eek:mg:.

Had a few screaming takes though, wasn't sure whether they might be carp or not (had an eleven pounder on a livey just recently), having said that I reeled in a livebait with part of its tail bitten off so I guess I'm striking too early before the perch has devoured the bait?

greenie62

Reaction score
In years gone by, when worm-fishing for trout and grayling, I used the Mustad Beak Bait-Holder hooks (10s & 12s) - mainly to keep the worms on, but also because they were strong hooks and didn't (un)bend too readily! They seemed to disappear from tackle-shops in anything smaller than a 6 - eventually only appearing as sea-hooks.

When I started using barbless hooks 30-odd years ago - I squashed the point-barb of these hooks - but also fished the free-line worm a lot less. Dug one out of the tackle box last year when after perch on big lob-worm - Perfick!

john step

Reaction score
My answer above was because I had several stone bonking runs with no result.
This was on my hair rigged perch baits. When I dispensed with the hair and hooked directly I hooked and landed EELS.
I think the eels were just grabbing the bait and running. I got the initial feeling of a fish on the line then nothing.

I think it was a couple of years ago Binka tried the hair for perch at my suggestion and it improved hooking for him.
I think what happens is the bait masks the bend enough to inhibit proper penetration/ hooking in those bony mouths.

This was mostly on rudd tail deadbaits, but I would add that I have had carp and eels on live perch bait along with the perch catches.

Big hooks work for me. Wide gape the best.

flossy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feed back ,suffered the same thing thismorning ,driving me insane ,think whats happening is ,as Bob said i tend too strike very early as not too deep hook the fish which is resulting in getting poor hook holds ,the aggressive nature of their head shaking is what is causing the hook too be thrown.I will continue too try other patterns ,and will let you all know if things improve ,thanks again.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I tend to use wide gape size 6 for both lives and prawns.

Watching perch taking fish they almost always devour the fish head first. Grab or suck and turn it in one go.

I strike immediately and most fish are hooked beautifully in the corner of the mouth in the thin skin between the hard bone and lip.

Rarely down the throat ( strangely piking with two trebles and 4-6oz roach hooking very deeply 3 x 3lb+ fish!!!)

I believe the key is keeping a tight line when playing the fish and a hook big enough to extend the point further past the bone/lip axis.

laguna

Reaction score
I generally use circle hooks , not many hook pulls and help to avoid deep hooking.

Sakuma 440 Circle Hooks
Good call.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Just a thought! Hook pulls with perch? Are you sure they are perch? If so are you using tiny hooks?
He probably means lip pull John :confused:

B

binka

Watching perch taking fish they almost always devour the fish head first.

That's always been my experience Graham.

I know you don't use perch livebaits but when I do they tend not to have much choice but to take them head first because if that dorsal goes up the wrong way in they're gonna have one hell of a sore throat :)