Bait Bands - the answer.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
If like me you often have to use two bait bands because they always seem to break, especially when barbel fishing pellets, I think I have the answer.

I've just invested 3.95 in a half metre length of LATEX 5mm tubing from ebay.

You can cut off thicker bands, probably about 500.

When you tie these into your loop they last forever and work out much cheaper and top quality.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Sounds a good idea.
The other way I have used is those Enterprise hollow fake corn shapes that you can ram a 8mm hard pellet in. The fake corn can be haired with mono and a bait needle.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi Graham

Thanks for this, nice bit of "out of the box...."

Just curious - I tend to hair rig pre-drilled pellets. Typically, I think they're either having it (14mm, maybe 2 x 14mm) or they're not (8mm, single).

So what advantage would I get by using a band rather than a predrilled pellet?

cheers
Jim

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Apologies. I meant latex not silicone!!!!

Generally used for medical purposes.

Jim. No advantages really, unless you believe some non drilled pellets are far better than others. As I do. Also melt level of 6mm is quicker if just hair rigged especially as water through the hole expands the hole too quickly in warmer climes.

Its easy with a bait bander to use them even in the dark. I just needed them to stay more secure. Hence cutting my own width rather than the very thin poor quality ones that abound.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nice one Graham, one to remember. I've never had a problem with Gardner latex bands breaking though, as long as you keep them out of the sunlight..........

laguna

Reaction score
I've done the same when short of a bigger band. Got all different kinds and sizes now. Never had a problem with breaking unless forcing too big a pellet into a small band.

The biggest trouble I used to have was slippage when the pellet got wet recasting, but if you nick a groove into a pellet with a sharp knife the band holds firm.

I sometimes had similar problems with banded trout pellets turning on a hook shank, so I nick those too - longways so that the shank sits inside the pellet and doesn't roll.

flightliner

Reaction score
I' ve been experimenting with the micro bands to hold a big redworm, they work a treat, just open the band with the band expanding gizmo , pop the worm head inside and close to hold.

bracket

Reaction score
Seems like a good solution for those who prefer the band. When I fish with hard pellet I always use a lasso hair rig. The only time I use a band is if I am fishing with a baited hook and want to see if they will take the hard pellet, then I slip and band on. If I get a response I'm straight on the lasso hair rig, which I find far more efficient and inconspicous, compared to a band. Pete.