Trout, Zander, Chub, Bream, Carp, Barbel, Perch...what a river the Thames is!

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_events/18439-what-a-river.html

files.php

See front pages for Martin Salter's acclamation of the River Thames.

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

Thanks, Martin, for a great article and for your dedication to the welfare of the Thames; I'm sure I speak for many others. The Thames is, indeed, an enchanting river, especially from a small cabin cruiser moored way upstream on a still and misty Autumn morn...perfect.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Much like the author I too began my fishing career on the River Thames as a lad in short trousers in fact.

A steam train to Wimbledon and then change for Hampton Court being my venue of choice back then.

A short walk from the station and over the bridge and you came to the weir on the left and a run down to the confluence of the Mole and Thames if you turned right.

To the left were the larger roach, chub, perch and the very rare babel, whereas to the right meant a day on the roach, dace, perch and bleak, with the occasional bream from the Mole as it slowed before joining the main river.

I am pretty sure that it has been well over 50 years since I last fished the Thames, but it is still high on my list of places to fish before I finally hang up my rods for good . . . . .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice article Martin, captured the essence of it nicely, lots of variety over a long river some of which I have fished and things look promising. Of course with the city of London and 10 million people; always going to be a challenge but one worth keeping on with.

Keith M

Reaction score
Great article.

I've fished father Thames on and off since the late 50s and I have some wonderful fishing memories from there over the years; it has so many different faces along its length.

However I am seriously worried about these potentially fish guzzling hydro-electric turbines that are being installed in various Thames weirs for power generation. I realise that we need power but are these really fish friendly?

Keith

Last edited: