October

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The last good month for fishing before winter?

If it's a mild October is it a good time to get so fed good sessions in when the fish are feeding up for winter before the cold weather hits

B

binka

It's a variable one, I remember going well into the December last year before things really started to cool down.

Be nice if we do get a mild autumn, anything to shorten winter :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
On stillwaters, maybe, give or take a month or so. On rivers, this time of year generally sees improving fishing, definitely better fishing than June, July and August.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Barbel catches on the float dry up to next to non once the temp's drop off. Chub and grayling are my main target during the colder months, although I might target some roach now and again this coming winter.

robtherake

Reaction score
Time to go huntin' perchy at the roach pool.:) I didn't manage many sessions last back end, with pain halting play as I began to get to grips with it. Hopefully this autumn/winter will be more fruitful.

john step

Reaction score
Strange how things have changed. At one time the frosts were common in October and for many it was the time for piking to start.

There was that year of 87 when the great wind blew in October and it was exceptional that the leaves were still on the trees, causing them to catch the wind and uproot in large numbers.
Now just about 30 yrs on and the leaves are mostly not gone in October.

At one time I wouldn't have believed it worthwhile fishing for carp in October and all the other competitors were amazed when I won a match with 3 of them during this month.
Now they are caught year round.

Autumn seems to get later year on year and October can be a great fishing month.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The start of roach fishing for, and catching, (hopefully) much larger specimens, both on still and moving waters. Between now and Christmas is a period I really enjoy (really bad weather permitting) as the banks empty of summer fishermen, but it would take snow to stop me going....
The downside is facing early morning traffic which means sitting in queues but nothing too serious. Either that or sitting in the car at the venue waiting for it to get light enough to tackle up.
I also have a new stretch of the Thames to look forward to so apart from roach I expect other species to grace the net..............We live in hope !!

Fortunately, the cold has never bothered me as I always carry plenty of hot drinks etc. plus good clothing to keep out the chill. Get's harder as I get older but while I have the desire I will always venture out..........................

Just had a thought; I'll be abroad at something close to Jerry o'clock so I look forward to that - it'll make a change...........................................

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I will have a few more carp session until the weather drops then I'm on the roach and maybe this tear a decent perch

Also a club I've joined has some good pike I'm told so I'll be after the pike in winter

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Crucians can be good in October, they can have a last surge before they close down for the winter, I have had some good crucian catches in October.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, but very difficult to find them in any numbers - at least that's the case on my waters !
I suppose as much as anything it's a case of determining what they fancy to eat for a 'last supper' as so many baits seemingly lose effectiveness as the water cools. Having said that I know some on here catch them occasionally through the winter if it stays reasonably mild.

............and this is probably going too far off thread, so I won't push on with it.

'Baits for still water fishing at this time of year'...needs another thread doesn't it ??

mikench

Reaction score
I hope all your comments and aspirations prove fruitful and come to pass. I will be going out as often as possible and may try a little predator fishing! I will check out a few of the guys I meet at my favourite venues to see where is best and if someone is prepared to give some guidance.

One of these days I am going to try the canals armed with just my chair, rod, reel and some bait. A barrow is the very last thing I want to buy;)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Autumn for me is synonymous with Pike, Perch, Chub and Zander, the veritable cream of the season which will extend into Winter.

And whilst on the subject of Winter why do so many dread the prospect of the colder months given the range of clothing now available. It seems we have a number of ''Daisy boys'' in our midst, lol.

flightliner

Reaction score
I,ll be torn between twotarget species in october, hopefully I,ll be able to accomadate the both of them. I,ve largely ignored the barbel so far this season with only some two or three visits to the Trent but october is the time when the bigger fish respond to float tactics so it may come down to the toss of a coin, hope not.
From november I reckon I will be having some more zander trips coupled with some short lure sessions for a perch or two.

mikench

Reaction score
Will try some float fishing on a local river for some chub! I am a bit of a Daisy and clumsy enough without big coats, gloves and welly boots!:)

Velcro fastening is commendable except for fishing!!:wh:rolleyes:

Keith M

Reaction score
September and October have always been good to me; with the barbel packing on weight to help see them through the leaner months ahead, the Chub and Roach too are doing the same; plus the banks are starting to empty as more anglers are staying at home as the days get shorter and the temperatures begin to drop.

I always look forward to this time of year and most of my largest barbel have been caught at this time of year; the only problem is that it doesn't last long enough before the really cold and wet weather arrives and then frost and snow takes over and the long wait till early spring arrives and Spring can seem such a long long way off Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It does slow down but some great days are to be had for barbel in the winter.

In the rivers I fish float fishing for barbel becomes a total waste of time during the winter months, especially the larger rivers. You do still catch them quite often on the leger rods but i'm a bit of an obsessive float angler and so I either carry on after the barbel and have numerous biteless trips out (appart from chub) or I target some other species for a change. I do like my grayling fishing and luckily the closed game fishing season co-insides with the slowing down of the barbel (on the float) and opens up some normally taboo rivers to course anglers during this period.

rayner

Reaction score
No plans to change what I do through the warmer months for now.
I will fish paste until the frosts start; bomb and bread, meat, corn. And can't resist caster or punch for roach.
I've also had a yearning to fish a dead bait for perch. That will mean learning something new, may be interesting.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
One of the nice things at this time of year is it puts either the early morning dawn or the later evening dusk at closer reach... so if you want to catch those times, its just a bit easier to do so.

Of course, once winter is here proper, the day just isn't long enough!!