Cheap tackle

mikench

Reaction score
Am on holiday in France at the moment and have been fishing a few times with little success ie one fish!

I have a couple of small and light travel travel spinning rods and a 4.20m Beachcaster here in France which are fine but I felt I wanted something in between which I could float fish with and use for light ledgering, something with a bit of feel and with a sensitive tip so I could detect bites better. Falling asleep in the sun doesn't help!:)

I paid a visit to my local decathlon to have a look. They appeared to stock what I wanted and at 39€ for a rod reel and line they sounded too good to be true. They were! They just looked and felt cheap so I declined to buy. They were selling Diawa Sweepfire reels loaded with line for €9.99 but these looked and felt horrible even if they were not. This gear is clearly made to a price and must sell but I would derive little enjoyment from using it.

I concluded that well made tackle was important for ones enjoyment levels in just holding, feeling and using it regardless of the ultimate proof of quality in the catching of fish. Am I odd in this regard. I enjoy just setting up with good tackle!

My experience reminded of when I first bought some sea tackle last September to take to France. I was offered a Grandeslam rod, reel and line for less than 20 quid, and adjudged, probably unfairly that it couldn't t be any good and bought more expensive gear which I still use and enjoy. I do look after stuff though.

It must sell but I cannot see how it can be made for such low cost! I really like a bargain( Rob's rod for £3.99) is a great example)but when something feels cheap some of the enjoyment of buying is lost.

New rod arrives tomorrow from Amazon. I convinced the wife we should try Amazon for delivery here in France to see it it works a while ago and often it is cheaper to buy from Amazon uk and ship here than from Amazon France. We have had some stuff go astray when no attempt has been made to deliver. I will wait with bated breath for the comment" left in mail box" . A 12 ft rod in a mail box 12inches square!!!! That will be something:rolleyes:

A bientôt

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
They're maybe a little short for float fishing, but the 4-piece 9 foot spinning rods made by NGT have been lauded here and elsewhere as good tools for general coarse work and they're only about 20 notes.

There are a few multi-section float rods that may appeal - Youngs do a 5-piece trotter for lines up to 4lb, which I'm pretty sure has been well-received by at least one member of this forum. Shakespeare do (or did) a 13ft Agility travel match. They also did a Mach 1 XT travel rod, an example of which sits in my tackle room, barely used. The action's fine, but it's too top-heavy for me - I bought it at my son's behest, so that he doesn't have to worry about smashing one of mine when he joins me for the odd session on his visits home from Oz.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Rob. I have two 4 piece travel rods, a Shakepeare ugly stick and a Savage Gear something or other; 6.5 ft and 8 ft respectively.

I have ordered an 11.5 ft Shakespeare sea tipster rod to complement the two extremes I mentioned and this should be delivered tomorrow. A couple of French fishermen had them and like them as they gave good bite detection.

I always like to buy something new on my hols. Hope you are well and enjoying your fishing .

I am going to try some lure fishing later off a breakwater.

mikench

Reaction score
I am tempted by the prospect of coarse fishing and when we come to live here permanently I will bring all the gear from the UK and have a go.

There are loads of rivers and lakes not far away Maurice and I could give them a try. I will need a licence but have enough rods, lures and reels to have a go!

We come out every 5 weeks or so and will look into it! There is even a magazine here dedicated to Pike fishing! The French eat pike!

Mike

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
But no one really fishes in France for anything they cant eat on the rivers - there is some spectacular sport to be had with the normal species ( no one I ever met apart from Thomas (see Thomas Fishing on Facebook or Maggotdrowners) fishes for Barbel).

Pike, Catfish and Zander seem to be taken for the pot but Carp, Tench, Bream, Chub etc - no one seems to go for - fill your boots!