Bobbins

mikench

Reaction score
Who uses them on the line( without bite detectors) and which ones are best for general fishing?

Keith M

Reaction score
I have a couple of very small bobbins which I occasionally use without alarms when I am ledgering for smaller species; which also have small chain links attached to my rod rests; however who makes them escapes me but lots of tackle shops sell them.

NB: These mini hangers on eBay look like they are fairly small and should be ok. They look fairly similar to the ones I use:
Bite Indicators Mini Bobbins Hangers Drop Off Swingers Carp Fishing Set Of 3 | eBay

If you can't find any mini bobbins in your tackle shop; then why not just use a cork with a simple hair clip pushed through the centre; attached to the front rod rest with a thin piece of cord (which is what I used to use many years ago).

Keith

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I like the Gardner Bugs...especially the Nano Bugs which are very lightweight.

I've also made a few, the best of which are essentially pilot floats with a clip for attaching to the line. The problem I found was sourcing a suitable cord as I like a long drop ....I ended up using some old leadcore leaders with the lead removed. Not ideal but best I could do.

mikench

Reaction score
Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are multitudes of different types of bobbin out there. They are every conceivable size and weight. How exactly the line clips on them work also vary significantly. The choice you make should be down to the method employed, the distance cast and the weather conditions. For example, there's not much point using an ultra light bobbin in a howling gale and a heavy bobbin when slack lining defeats the object somewhat.

mikench

Reaction score
So many methods, so many techniques, so many bits of kit, so many styles; I will not live long enough!;)

All the wine I buy have corks which is useful! Not many screw top wines in France!

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I like the Gardner Bugs...especially the Nano Bugs which are very lightweight.

I've also made a few, the best of which are essentially pilot floats with a clip for attaching to the line. The problem I found was sourcing a suitable cord as I like a long drop ....I ended up using some old leadcore leaders with the lead removed. Not ideal but best I could do.

Skippy,

Johnson Ross do an Aero Cord in their Matrix range.

Like you i like to have a long drop on a Bobbin, I use Braid, have tried many other things, but none of them seem to work.

With the Braid I Plait it until i have the length i need.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Exactly what it sounds like - heavier braid used for hooklinks for catfish.:)

Might have to look that up. Whenever I've found a suitable material it seems to be prohibitively expensive. I'll be damned if I'll fork out £15-£20 for a spool of stuff when I only want about 6 foot. I did blag a bit from my local dealer but it was far too stiff.

mikench

Reaction score
Arrived home and have received my Gardner bug. I can see how the bug bit will fit onto the line but the other end with the circle of plastic is too small a diameter to fit onto the rod rest attachment on my chair!

It obviously is not intended to be attached to the rod or is it? How do I fit this chaps or have I bought a pup?:)

Whilst a little Heath Robinson, I have attached a circle of narrow Velcro strip to the circle end and by turning the circle so it is parallel to the rod rest the Velcro will and does fit onto the rod rest arm. It can be moved up and down and tightened or slackened at will. I will put it to the test tomorrow. If a better way can be suggested I am. Like the bug, all ears!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I know this now. I do not have a bite alarm as yet. My rod rest arm has a Gury Reaper head and I naively thought the circular ring would be of sufficient diameter to slide on the arm!!!

I do not fish specifically for carp but fancied trying a bobbin either as well as or instead of a sensitive tip. I might check out an inexpensive alarm which I can use instead of the reaper!

What a pillock I am! I have just had a eureka moment when I screwed off the Guru Reaper head and realised that the round ring on the bug slides over the thread of the head and thus connects to the arm. I didn't even have to remove the washer!. I cannot believe I did not work this out immediately. Derek Gibson writes of sublime skills and I cannot even work this out!

It is even better on the rear rest!!!

Last edited: