Winter clothing

flightliner

Reaction score
I purchased a thick "huggy bear" Regatta fleece from boundary mills last winter, its one of the best items of winter clothing I,ve ever purchased, really snug n warm, like it so much I wish I'd bought two when they were on offer, love it!.
I have a thck loose fitting snood for my neck that is big enuf to enought to pull oer my head to protect my cheeks and ears if its a bit raw!.

trotter2

Reaction score
standard sports cap
woollen hat
fleece deer stalker in that order.

rayner

Reaction score
A few years ago my Daughter bought me a very warm ear flap hat, coupled with that I have a fleece polo neck that covers my shoulders. I can't remember what it was called.
Then my thermal water proofs.
As for foot wear I bought a pair of hiking boots, got them in the sale from Sports Direct. The best 35 quid I have ever spent.
Made my mates laugh as walking unaided is a challenge for me.:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fleece hat but for when it's cold what head gear do you wear
I've got a fleece balaclava and it's get too hot , anyone recommend something in between

Depends on how cold it is LPS.
Usually I swap and change but for the majority of cold weather it'll be a beanie or a green version of Sam Vines hat (just feel like deputy dog in that lol).
The shemag's are nice and warm round your neck in windy conditions or wrapped around your face and head on frosty days......

Tactical Keffiyeh Shemagh Arab Scarf Army Military Shawl Neck Cover Head Wrap | eBay

If the armed response turn up don't blame me though lol.

This would probably frighten the armed response off though....

SAVAGE GEAR SKULL BALACLAVA FISHING SNOWBOARDING MOTOR BIKE HELMET | eBay

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I don't suffer unduly from the cold, BUT like everyone else I do everything I can to keep warm(ish). This means I always go for layers of clothing starting with quality thermals, lined trousers building up to a wool jumper under my Paramo walking jacket and Muck boots. Head gear is my Tilley hat along with a large snood, the best item of clothing I have ever bought and perfect for keeping the gap twixt head and body warm. In really cold weather when, say, I need to break ice (not too often these days!) I do have chemical hand warmers as a standby....

I also have loose fitting quality ski gloves that can be easily and quickly removed for those occasions when I'm sitting behind rods for any length of time and when bites are more from luck than judgement ! Other, tighter gloves are used if float fishing.

On very cold days I will always wind in and walk up the bank for 10 minutes just to get the circulation going and inject life into my feet, BUT IMHO I see no other alternative to carrying plenty of hot WATER in my two flasks, with which I can make a variety of drinks, as the main means of instant heat and that feeling of wellbeing, if only for a short time....

I suppose the long and short of it is that I don't allow myself to get that cold that I'm not enjoying the session, and if that starts to happen I will come home. At 73+ I cannot afford to take unnecessary risks................

All in all I love winter fishing, with the cold just another challenge similar to that of being too hot in summer, and experiencing a lovely fish sliding over the net is worth all the discomfort. Nothing to beat it IMHO!!

To anyone trying it for the first time I can only say give every aspect of your comfort a lot of thought and perhaps try it during a relatively mild spell, first off. No real need to go out at the crack of dawn, as fishing either side of midday 'possibly' the best time to fish, BUT no set rule around this !! I would say 9am to 2/3pm ideal to begin with - that's my opinion anyway !!!

Good luck !

ps I don't know if anyone watched the prog on BBC4 last night about the climber Mallory and his team, attempting the first climbing of Everest which eventually cost him and others their lives. Wearing the best clothing of the day in -50 temps was never going to work......Our bit of chilly weather pales into insignificance, by comparison...

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
I've got one of the barbour felt bush hats.nice and warm and a good wide rim to keep the rain of my hearing aids, together with a Shimano snood round my neck, which will pull up round ears etc if needed.

I sent of to America for a hat band with silver conchos on it, so it's one of a kind too.:)

mikench

Reaction score
Last Xmas I bought my wife, amongst other things , a Zippo hand warmer to keep in her car( my fishing vehicle) just in case of emergencies ! I hope to put it to good use this winter!:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No idea, but they were on MoD issue in both green/black and desert colours.
British Army Issue Shemagh Brand New

They are nice and soft and do keep you warm, I think I only paid a couple of quid for mine, there's loads on ebay with varying prices. I got it for when I was recovering from a cold but still had a nasty cough which the freezing air triggered off when breathing it in. Wearing the scarf like a cowboy who was robbing a bank filterd the air through the scarf and stopped it from making me cough. The scarf combined with a hat was a great way of keeping warm.

slaphead

Reaction score
I wear on of those Peruvian type jobbies with the ear flaps. I find they keep my head nice and toastie. (Still wish I had hair, though). :rolleyes:

rayner

Reaction score
Never had the need for gloves.
To keep my hands warm I rub Vaseline into them, get a big blob and rub in till it disappears. The main thing is it keeps my hands dry.
Hot flask is the best way to warm up, clothing then gets a chance to work.

greenie62

Reaction score
I wear on of those Peruvian type jobbies with the ear flaps. I find they keep my head nice and toastie.....

It's not the ear-flaps that do that - it's the shuffling up and along with the pan-pipe playing! :D