When grass crunches underfoot.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It can't be far away now, don't ask me why as it's difficult to define. But as far as I personally am concerned light frost's herald some of the best of the seasons fishing. It goes without saying my own targets will be Pike and Perch with the occasional Zander sortie.

I have already targeted several venues that ''don't'' involve long walks, and I have great expectations, wish me luck.

Does anyone else feel the same, for whatever species?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To my mind when the grass crunches underfoot I turn my thoughts to Roach; the larger and fatter the better.

Most of my better river roach have all come in the colder months but I have also had a good few (side) catches of perch when targeting the roach too.

Very close in second place (only by a whisker though) comes the Grayling. A late autumn or winter fish that never fails to please and is usually very obliging to boot.

Luckily here close to the Hampshire Avon we have some really good fishing for both roach and grayling so I don't even have to roam too far from home either.

Good luck Derek, and to all danglers though who will venture out in the colder months . . . . . .

mikench

Reaction score
Good luck to both of you! I plan to try my luck throughout the winter as now, even with cold hands , I at least know what I am supposed to do!

As it is 25c here in France at the moment frosts seem a remote prospect;)

seth49

Reaction score
Yes will be nice to go trotting for grayling and chub on the ribble and hodder again.
Also will be going for roach and perch on the Stillwaters I fish.
Do prefer warmer weather these days though, but I can pick and choose which days to go now.

Keith M

Reaction score
I will be targeting big Roach and Chub mainly during the colder months but I will also target Barbel during any settled periods that we have.

However having now reached the old codger stage in life; I will most likely only be fishing on the days where the temperature doesn't freeze my holly hocks off LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
You can keep hard frosts as far as roach are concerned; OK for grayling though. Lower water temperature can help to keep the tiddlers from being active but a temperature of around 48 to 50 F suits me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Frosts where always looked forward to for hunting and shooting but i've never really liked freezing conditions for any fishing other than grayling, and even then I only like the early morning frost with rising temp's after daybreak. There's nothing worse than line freezing in the rod guides!....except when there's a wind to accompany the freezing temp's !!!

mikench

Reaction score
......or in other words when it has frozen off the proverbials from the brass monkey!:rolleyes:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek,

Perch and Chub for me, the first frost herald the dying down of the weed, cleaner rivers and better fishing.
Unfortunately it also foretells the wet winter weather, cold and the rain, a really sad start to the to some great fishing.

can't wait !!

Bob

terry m

Reaction score
Just got back from a very hot Barbados so crunchy grass is a rather inviting proposition.

Will be dusting down my pike gear over the next week or two.

Looking forward to it.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well "If" you take too much notice of some forecasts in 6 weeks time we will be in a total whiteout of snow .

Have noticed a couple of nights the temps are dropping a bit so crunchy grass may not be far off .

PG ...

mikench

Reaction score
At the moment it will be more like "grass squelching underfoot". It is pouring it down!:)

B

binka

I wish all that crunched under my feet was grass, I would be two landing net handles to the better in the last ten months alone :eek:mg:

swizzle

Reaction score
I wish all that crunched under my feet was grass, I would be two landing net handles to the better in the last ten months alone :eek:mg:

I would love to feel anything crunch underfoot. It's normally that unmistakable slide of shog dit for me.

robtherake

Reaction score

It was never a problem with a telescopic ally handle, but Hardy don't make those, do they?:D