Which Baitrunner?

craftycarper

Reaction score
I had some Shimano Aero Gt 6010s for a few years and after a while they started messing me about.so i ditched them and got a cheap replacement 18 months back which have done a job but are not really up for much more.

Nobody else seems to have ever had problems with Shimano so im probably going to go back to them.I dont need much line capacity or need to worry about 100 yard chucking ability.

Which one's should i go for between the£45-£65 bracket?There seems to be quite a few similar models thats all!The 5000 re's seem a good bet reduced from £75 to £49.99.

How do these compare to the old series?or is there a better baitrunner out there from a different manafacturer?Is it worth me spending an extra tenner?

Second product request in a week,i know i knowim pushing it sorry /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Ta very much and tight lines.

Rory

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Go for second hand Shimano 8010 baitrunners or thereabouts.

All black reel, single handle, with no bling on them.

craftycarper

Reaction score
Baz what was the difference between the normal aero6010/8010 and areo GTs?Was it literally the double handle and spool type or mechanics inside?

Im thinking that technology has advanced and therefor the newer models are going to be better for your money.The above reels in thier day were over 100 kwid but i should be able to spend much less now and get the same if not more.

Im just a bit tentative over the older models after the difficulty's i had with the drag not being smooth enough.i sent them away to shimano and they said they were fine??!

Ive seen the original Baitrunner R has been re-launched,£90's the cheapest ive seen them.could be an ebay job?

Just wondering how much difference there is between the models with actual ball-bearings and those with 'the power ball equivelant of 5 ball bearings',that sought of thing.

Confusion seems to be the best method of selling things now days,choice and technical gobbledy-goop that probably means little difference,but may not!

craftycarper

Reaction score
5000 gte-c looks pretty damn good for £80 from fosters(£95 rrp).but are these significantly better than 5000 re's considering i fish at short distances?i wanna put my money into a top quality drag,thats it.

gte-c range seems to have something called the 'micro-click' system which i presume means it is better than the cheaper models.i wonder how this compares to the drag on the old 6010's i had?

bloody el its 10.45 i do have a life honestly just i have money now and i dont see it being there for much longer and want to get kitted out soon!more importantly i want to have the confidence to fish!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The Gte's have more bearings as well as a spare spool.

I would keep my eye out for a secondhand 5000 gte's. You can pick theses up for around 50 quid.

If anybody as a couple of spare spools they don't want for the 5000 i will gladly take them of your hand.

R

Roto Fryer

Okuma

the biggest reel manufacturers in the world./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Seaspins, the original ones or later model. Line lay not as tidy as some but will last the term and with a good front drag too. A mighty fine reel.

Paul C

Reaction score
I wouldn't so much assume that newer models are better.

The older Shimano's were made in Japan. More recent ones are made in Malaysia. It's believed by many that the Japanisemodels were a far better build quality. Those reelsback then often sold for a lotmore than thecurrent cheaper versions and it maybe due to cheaper materials as well as cheaplabour bring the price down?

I have a Japanise 5010 GT and two newer 5000 GTE models. The older 5010 is head and shouldersmy favourite real above the newer ones and the clutch in particular is far better and smoother. Yet it's been used and very much abused for 12 years or so and hasn't been serviced beyond a clean and squirt of oil from me, in all that time.

You will also find the Japanise Shimano's sell for big money second hand on ebay and fetch more than some brand new Shimano's cost.I sold a 10 year old stradic on there last year and got over £80 for it! You can get a new one for less than £70.

R

Roto Fryer

It is my understanding, gained from living in the far east, that most, if not all Shimano reels are now made by sub-contractors and that many different name baitrunners are made in the same factory (they look like shimanos) and sold for half the price.

JUSTIN ACKROYD

Reaction score
I wouldnt get the 5000 if your trying to get some distance. ive been using 6000 RE for 2 years. No probs at all and got 3 new ones for 105 notes.

Ive been in the same quandry as you over the past few months i wanted my reels to be able to cast further. The advise i have been given by many is to get some 10000's or 8000 if i cant afford the 10000.

Chased em on ebay for quite some time, couldnt get one for under 60 notes, so i got a 8000 gte-c double handle 45 quid inc. post & spare spool.

But beware, ask if the baitrunner works fine, my reels spot on except for the baitrunner, you cant tension it as far as it should go. Bloke i got it off wont reply, so a bit miffed !!!

But have u seen the new shimano biatrunners the st-ra, youcan get a 10000 for under 50, i belive it the same as the old x7 baitrunners

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Just had a quick squint and I can say my old seaspin 4500's are Malay made, as are the newer 4500B models. 20 years difference separate the models. The 'Big Baitrunner' models are Malaysia made too. What models are manufactured in Japan?

Where are Okuma manufacturing their reels?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
JustinRory said I dont need much line capacity or need to worry about 100 yard chucking ability in his opening post. So 5000's would be fine.

Bentley

Reaction score
Ive just been looking at the new shimano 6000 st ra reel to use on a quivertip rod and would like your opinions please. I already own the aero gte 5000 b which I think is good value and use it on my float rod

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Crafty

personally, with 50 quid or thereabouts as the budget, I'd be more inclined to by mid/top of the range okuma than the bottom of the range shimano. Epix Pro baitfeeders are £49 a pop (some places will do you 20% discount if you buy two or more) - check these side by side with similarly priced shims and you may be in for a surprise

Rich Hallam

Reaction score
Ive just got 2 shimano 6000 re reduced from £90 to £39.99 at climax fiching tackle (they do mail order) and there sound

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Roto I am not sure if I can agree with that statementtotally. Sure Okuma look a far better value for money ie they are cheap. But I have found that the Big pits when used for heavy spod and marker wokr get very tired almost rattly quickly compared to Shimano or diwa reels I have used for the same purpose. However they have a market sector to fill and they do it very well.

I wont however be getting any Okumasin the near future. My Local tackle shop has got a massive tub full of returned Okumas waiting to be returned.

Tight Lines mate

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
That means nothing roto. we make over 300 difrent rubber orings rangeing in price from pennies to thousands for the same size ring. All made in the same factory. Even the same tool. Its the quality of materials and quality acceptance levels.