Carbon washers.

robtherake

Reaction score
For some time I've been meaning to make some carbon washers (from carbon sheet) to replace the original drag washers in some of my older fixed-spool reels. From what I understand - and the source is a talented reel technician - big improvements in both smoothness and power are available.

Has anyone else done this kind of conversion, or anything like it?

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Sorry Rob - am going to be no help at all. But if you make some, please can you make a reasonable batch as I'd be interested in purchasing a few for an old Mitchell 440 I have :)

robtherake

Reaction score
Sorry Rob - am going to be no help at all. But if you make some, please can you make a reasonable batch as I'd be interested in purchasing a few for an old Mitchell 440 I have :)

If it works, Hugh, you're welcome to some, FOC. As it happens, my own 440A, 810 and a pair of 308s will be the first to get the treatment as it's a simple matter to take the push-button spools apart to get at the plastic washer. It's meant to be a profound improvement for the old Mitchells, with lower start-up inertia, smoother release and a much higher maximum drag pressure.

Some older Shimanos are due a service - the drags have become a bit sticky - so they'll be next on the list...

This is the stuff I've been looking at: 200×300×0.5mm With 100% Real Carbon Fiber plate/panel/sheet 3K plain weave FT | eBay

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Nice one - thanks Rob! Mine is a 440a but I lost the paper / plastic washers on one spool after undoing the drag too far and it all coming apart. The reel itself is actually ok although I'm worried about using it in public. People might think I'm one of those cane-rod type herberts.

robtherake

Reaction score
Nice one - thanks Rob! Mine is a 440a but I lost the paper / plastic washers on one spool after undoing the drag too far and it all coming apart. The reel itself is actually ok although I'm worried about using it in public. People might think I'm one of those cane-rod type herberts.

Mine gets most use on a local water where the majority fish for the carp. They see me using a float rod for the excellent roach and perch that live there and you can see them shaking their heads and nudging one another, so I'm already a Herbert as far as they're concerned. Hanging an old Mitchell on my original Drennan Waggler rod (with sliding reel fittings) only confirms their suspicions.:rolleyes:

Having said that, they still ooh and ah whenever I land a decent one, so they can't be all bad, and they took it in good grace when I bagged a 15 pound carp on floatfished worm and three pound line.:D

mikench

Reaction score
How many reels do you have Rob and how can you use them all? Do you decide on a particular reel before you set off?

I am about to inherit several 80's reels from my sister plus rods. If I can put up a pic I will. They may all be well past their sell by date!:)

So busy reading the posts I burnt my croissants!

http://s1378.photobucket.com/compon...=/albums/ah117/mikench/image_zps9huxiac5.jpeg

Do any of these bring back(happy) memories Rob?

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
How many reels do you have Rob and how can you use them all? Do you decide on a particular reel before you set off?

I am about to inherit several 80's reels from my sister plus rods. If I can put up a pic I will. They may all be well past their sell by date!:)

So busy reading the posts I burnt my croissants!

http://s1378.photobucket.com/compon...=/albums/ah117/mikench/image_zps9huxiac5.jpeg

Do any of these bring back(happy) memories Rob?

Mike, you need the IMG link from Photobucket to get it to display properly. If you've clicked on your chosen pic you should see it on the RHS of the screen. Just click on it to copy it direct to your computer's clipboard, then paste it into your post.
As to how many reels...I dunno...thirty or so, all set up for different jobs. Some are semi-retired and are just back-ups, others (like the Mitchells) only get an airing now and again, but they all get used at some point.

The best of those 80s rods - used in the right circumstances - are extremely good tools, even now. Now, why don't you repost your photo link so I can see what you've got!:D

mikench

Reaction score
Hi Rob, I use an iPad which is hit and miss when it comes to copy and paste!

I have put up some pics earlier on another post entitled Tricast rods; have a look!

Mike

sam vimes

Reaction score

The Daiwa on the left is still in the Daiwa catalogue. It has been for the best part of thirty years. It's pretty well unique these days in having an auto bail arm. I believe that they should have updated it years ago as it's rubbish by modern standards. If they'd make a modern reel with the auto bail, I may actually buy a Daiwa for once.

The Mitchell on the right was ok in its day. Unfortunately, it came at the fag end of Mitchell's heydey. They were desperately trying to respond to new competition, primarily from Shimano, and they didn't quite cut the mustard.

robtherake

Reaction score
Just to update - waiting on the arrival of some 0.5mm carbon sheet to make washers with. Hopefully, it'll be possible to dink them out with cylindrical metal punches. Failing that, I have some cylindrical tile drills that may suffice. I'll report on events...

greenie62

Reaction score
... I have some cylindrical tile drills that may suffice. I'll report on events...

Rob - Please do this in an adequately ventilated area, safety goggles and face mask. There are some very real concerns over the ingestion of CF dust - some fear it could be the modern-day equiv of asbestos dust!:eek:

robtherake

Reaction score
Rob - Please do this in an adequately ventilated area, safety goggles and face mask. There are some very real concerns over the ingestion of CF dust - some fear it could be the modern-day equiv of asbestos dust!:eek:

Thanks for the heads-up. I had a look on Youtube and found an easy method that shouldn't generate too much dust, but I'll be careful anyhow.:)