Do fish know when you are pouring a coffee?

mikench

Reaction score
Had an enjoyable but difficult day yesterday with only 3 mirrors and 1 common just under 9lb. They were all caught on a different bait the last being a bit of Babybel on the hook and using a pellet waggler rod!

The first two came after sitting there with not even a twitch on the quiver but as soon as I had got the flask in one hand and the cup in the other and started to pour, the rod nearly came off the rest! The third time I thought shall I go home or have another coffee and guess what , it worked again and what a vicious take! I had hot coffee all over my shorts!!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fish have a second sense that kicks in whenever an angler either: pours a cup of tea or coffee; eats a sandwich or lights a cigarette . . . . or indeed turns to answer some daft question from a bankside noddy dog walker . . .

The only time that this is not evident is when some bloody stupid paddlers come through your swim regardless of the fact the the river is 40m across.

In that situation the fishes second sense seems to depart for about an hour . . . . .

Keith M

Reaction score
It also happens to me fairly often when I'm dying for a wee and decide to have one behind a bush without bothering to wind in. I usually end up with a wet leg Lol.

I think It's called 'Sods Law' :)

mikench

Reaction score
.....also known as Murphy's Law I think !

My memory is not what it was but don't ask me how I know!:)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It sounds as though there are some chub in your lake ; they are famous for teaching carp how not to get caught (Or carp are good at watching chub and learning from them).
Elsewhere I wondered whether "chub 'know' the damage they can do if they bite while you are pouring hot coffee from a glass thermos into a cup held between your thighs.

(Do you suppose chub have a scoring system?
Missed bite - 1 point
Swore - 1 point
Blasphemed - 1 point
Dropped mug- 2 points
Dropped flask - 2 points
Broke flask - 5 points
Wet trousers - 5 points
Scalded Legs - 5points
Scalded Danglies - 10 points
Ingested Broken flask fragments -50 points
Died of same - 100 points
Developed hypothermia due to wet legs or lack of hot coffee - 50 points
Died of same -100
Caught Weil's disease off dropped mug -50/100 depending on lethality.)"

greenie62

Reaction score
.....also known as Murphy's Law I think !.....

The main difference between Sod's Law and Murphy's Law is that Sod's Law appears to be British whilst Murphy is from the other side of the Atlantic - AND - the qualifiers applied to "If anything can go wrong - it will go wrong":
Murphy's: ... " eventually!"
Sod's: .... " at the worst possible time!" or " in the worst possible way!"

Finagle's Law (much quoted in SF) appears to be a combination of both!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Missed bite - 1 point Swore - 1 point Blasphemed - 1 point Dropped mug- 2 points Dropped flask - 2 points Broke flask - 5 points Wet trousers - 5 points Scalded Legs - 5points Scalded Danglies - 10 points Ingested Broken flask fragments -50 points

Chub silently lurking in binka's swim waiting for him to break something . . . 4,000 points

;)

wardalan1987

Reaction score
I agree I'm sure they do!!!

To be honest if I'm having a particularly difficult day I will purposely do something that would make a bite inconvenient just to try and turn my day around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
........and invariably by the operation of one or other of the above laws it does!:)

devon stalker

Reaction score
think it must be something they learn early on in fish school or from their parents as they have been doing it to me for best part of 50 years now :rolleyes::D:D

caelan

Reaction score
ha ha ha
me and my fishing partner used to make cups of coffee for a fish to pull our floats under when the fishing was bad at blenhim palace

flossy

Reaction score
I call it switching off , I'm being serious here ,i do quite a lot of stalking for carp on a centrepin and short stalking rod ,if i sit their holding the rod, nine times out of ten, the take will come as soon as i put the rod on the floor beside me ,as i relax for a minute .Now if i haven't had a take with in 40 mins thats what i do .