Water for your GB and pellets

mikench

Reaction score
I mix on the bank in smallish quantities at a time. Do you use tap water or lake water? Being from Cheshire I have been using Badoit or Perrier but it seems to have little effect:rolleyes:

greenie62

Reaction score
Having recently performed some analyses of water samples from local rivers - for Nitrates, Ammonia, Phosphates and Foecal Coliform levels - I would say that you shouldn't use the river water since technically you would be adding a pollutant above the levels of permitted discharge levels!:eek::eek:mg:

See MBRT map: http://merseybasin.org/water-blitz-23rd-july-2016/

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
If I mix at home I always use tap water, never had a problem. I do know a few that steer clear of tap because of chlorine.
On the bank I use pond or canal.

rubio

Reaction score
Only mix up at home if I'm using groundbait with larger particles in it, like Gros Gardons, and I want those to stay on the deck. In that instance I use rainwater. I've no evidence to say tap water is contaminated but I don't like the idea much.

mikench

Reaction score
Said like a true yorkshireman:) in truth a very good use of an important resource and the added taste and goodness can only enhance the GB!

Who remembers drinking cabbage water as a kid?;)

Keith M

Reaction score
Ive never mixed my groundbait before I go fishing; it's darn too heavy for me to carry.
I always use water from the lake or river.

However I did try using some drinking coke once as an experiment and if I'm adding some tinned sweet corn to the mix I will often add any juice or corn syrup (or whatever it is) in the can.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
My Gran swore by it and I was forced to drink it. Hated it but I am still here and have a lovely complexion;)

B

binka

I've got no preference for tap or venue water and I usually mix my groundbait the night before a session.

Like Keith says it has the drawback of being heavier to carry but for me is less of a faff on the day itself, especially the riddling.

mikench

Reaction score
It might be good in GB! Anyway I now have a yearning for bacon and cabbage with lots of white pepper like my Gran used to make; love it!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer to mix my ground baits and moisten pellet at the venue using the lake or river water.

I find it better and fresher that way and the weight difference is important to me too. Also,you can mix the right amount as needed at the venue, and it only takes minutes to prepare more in necessary.

Back in my match fishing days a good few of my team mates would keep large buckets of water in the garage with aerator's bubbling away for ages to liberate the additives that the water companies put into the supply.

lutra

Reaction score
If you mix groundbait with tap water, it will be nearly impossible to stop any chlorine in the water from dispersing into the air.

Next thing you should worry about if your balling loads of groundbait in is pH, as fish can be very sensitive to changes in that. :eek:

rayner

Reaction score
Cabbage water makes Brill gravy all the taste you gain .

PG ...

Me and all my siblings used to drink cabbage water as kids, our mother used to tell us we would never get spots if we drank our share.
This proved to be the case, we never had the spots other had. The cabbage was dire, all the goodness was in the water.
Cabbage water with white pepper, lovely.

PS tap water for cabbage.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Next thing you should worry about if your balling loads of groundbait in is pH, as fish can be very sensitive to changes in that.

Hence my preference for Badoit!:rolleyes: