Clever people can you help?

dicky123

Reaction score
It's a low visibility low diameter line. Very light blue in colour, almost clear.

Brought in the last few years. Any thoughts, take a guess?

Thanks.

B

binka

If this is what you mean Richard they call the colour "weed green" but it can appear a bit blue...

:)

greenie62

Reaction score
... Very light blue in colour, almost clear.....

What b.s. Richard?

Many brands have distinctive shades for differing line strengths - sometimes even changing the shade markedly for different 'bands' of line strength - many believe this is due to sourcing the line from different manufacturers.
Also - what colour spool is it on? - this can sometimes affect the colour of the wound line.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Also - what colour spool is it on? - this can sometimes affect the colour of the wound line.

That's true, sensor looks brown on the spool but held up to the light it's green.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And on the top of the rostrum in it's rightful place.....................

Only 3.4lbs breaking strain and over 0.17 diameter...how can that be top of the rostrum?

Silstar match team at 3.3lb breaking strain is 0.12 diameter, I know which i'd choose. In 6.6lb the silstar is still only 0.18 !

Prestons is even lower diameter than that.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Only 3.4lbs breaking strain and over 0.17 diameter...how can that be top of the rostrum?

Silstar match team at 3.3lb breaking strain is 0.12 diameter, I know which i'd choose. In 6.6lb the silstar is still only 0.18 !

Yeah - but Terry Eustace doesn't tell porkies about the diameter............. :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah - but Terry Eustace doesn't tell porkies about the diameter............. :)

I've found that the silstar does feel like it's stated diameters, don't think it'll be far out anyhow.
IF I was to try a low diameter line as a reel line the silstar would be the one as it still has a decent stretch left in it.

Don't forget Prestons that has a slightly lower stated diameter to b/s ratio.

Sensor has a lower b/s and diameter than stated :D

rayner

Reaction score

Well spotted, it would stay in the shop fancy colour or not.
Without any test I would class the one pictured as tripe.
Hi tech lines don't make good reel lines.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Pro-Gold isn't a bad line, but hi-tec and low diameter it is certainly not.
That's no reason to discount it entirely as a mainline though. Hi-tec and low diameter are not the be all and end all, especially in reel lines.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Tigger is spot on. Silstar is excellent and my choice for all trotting.

9.9 for barbel.
5.5 general trotting
6.6 for commercials perch carp etc.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The ONLY hi-tech low diameter line I found that was any good was Sufix Dura flex.......and they don't make it in the low diameters anymore, or at least if they do you can't get it in the UK. It's awesome stuff and I'm not easily impressed.

I found some 0.12 diameter ( 4.4lb bs !) on e-bay from Poland. I wouldn't normally bother but this stuff is so good IMO I had it. It's almost ousted my beloved Pro Gold. 10lb DF is about the same diameter as 4lb standard mono....hard to ignore that.

robtherake

Reaction score
I've never used Gamakatsu G-Line or the newer Super-G Line on the reel, but both varieties make good, hardwearing hook lengths, so they may be worth a try. Neither one seems as if they've had all of the stretch taken out and you could get a barge in with the 6lb G-Line.

B

binka

Well spotted, it would stay in the shop fancy colour or not.
Without any test I would class the one pictured as tripe.
Hi tech lines don't make good reel lines.

It's funny, I've never viewed Pro Gold as a high tec line, more as just a good and reliable workhorse mainline.

Tripe or not it's bagged me plenty of good fish and I'm not having to change it after every outing, more once a season if that :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's funny, I've never viewed Pro Gold as a high tec line, more as just a good and reliable workhorse mainline.

Tripe or not it's bagged me plenty of good fish and I'm not having to change it after every outing, more once a season if that :)

I'm not slaggin' it off Steve, i'm saying it isn't exactly low diameter in comparison to a lot of other lines...no doubt it is a good main line.

What I don't like about expensive line is the fact that when trotting, often your chopping off line because it's been damaged on rocks etc so it doesn't take long and you've only got enough line left on your reel to trott a short distance. Then what do you do....tie on another length so your stuck with a knot on your line or pull it off and re-spool a new lot?

I've said it before, I don't need to change my line after a session. I don't change it for several or more seasons on my egg beaters. I only change it on my pins because I like the feel of new line, how it casts etc and sensor is so cheap it allows me to do it.

Keith M

Reaction score
Pro-Gold has been my favourite line when I'm after specimen sized fish for a long time (when I'm not trotting or waggler fishing for them); but as long as you can get around sensors memory problems; it does still get very good marks in many of the line tests, and being very cheap it certainly shouldn't be disguarded off hand too easily as it is a very reliable line.

If I had any severe problems trying to find any of my favourite Pro-Gold and I could only find Diawa Sensor then I would still be fairly confident at being able to land some decent sized fish in a fairly snaggy swims using Sensor.

However as soon as I could I would re-spool straight away with Pro-Gold simply because its the line I have most confidence in and which I know has excellent abrasion resistance, shock resistance, stretch characteristics, knot strengths and relative suppleness compared to a lot of the other lines out there.
Plus it's strength ratings are very under-rated; with its 6lb line breaking at more like 7lb and its 8lb line breaking at nearer the 9 and a half pounds mark etc. etc. and making 'like for like' comparisons with a lot of other lines (which often have overrated bs ratings) fairly pointless.

If (like tigger) I needed to respool each time I went fishing; around 2 or 3 times a week; then I would quite probably end up using a line such as Diawa Sensor too when after decent sized fish, because of its better affordabability and more importantly because of it's fairly good line test figures, and i'd probably learn to put up with its fairly minor memory problems, especially if It was otherwise going to cost me around £20 to £30 per week just spent on line alone LOL.

But thankfully I don't need to put fresh line on my reels every time I use them so I can afford to use a more expensive and much more trusted mono like Pro-Gold (or even Drennan FloatFish if I'm trotting or using a waggler).

Keith

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Whereas I would never pay silly money for a fashionable line, cost isn't the issue for me. It's about reliability and whether I trust it or not. PG is a line I trust100% but it's not the thinnest.....which is why it's my go to "Specimen" line but for light work I want something thinner.

Drennan FF is alright but only alright IMO. I don't like Bayer and never have though some people reckon it's the same line as FF....though im not convinced. If you can find any Duraflex it's well worth a go. I've used nothing else since I discovered this for lighter work.

The current vogue for commercial carp etc seems to have resulted in finer lines being harder and harder to find in "reel sized" spools. That's a worrying trend for those of us who don't carp fish or use poles to the exclusion of all else. Most of the widely available lines about today I wouldn't personally put anywhere near my reels....and certainly not on my pins. This is not to say they are bad lines because they are not (necessarily) but just not suitable for light work.

All IMO of course. And I am very fussy about lines because they are so important and a couple of foolish purchases have cost me a couple of very good fish in the past. Hard lesson to learn but cheap line and cheap hooks are never good ideas.