Porridge!

B

binka

As the cooler weather is fast approaching it's time for me to break the habit of going fishing on an empty stomach and start having my bowl of piping hot porridge before venturing out.

You can have the best winter clothing that money can buy but if you've got no fuel providing you with a hot core to keep you fired up then you're starting off on the back foot imo.

What's your favourite winter starter for keeping you warm well into the day?

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Whatever you choose don't take a flask of noodles.
It will carry on cooking til you're left with a mush you wouldn't dream of eating unless you were down the cut on a November morning.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bacon and eggs, full pack of bacon and six to a dozen eggs fried in olive oil or butter.

All those carbs in that shitty ready breck won't do you any good, it'll just make you hungry in a little while and fatten you up like a christmas turkey lol.

mikench

Reaction score
If it is really cold I will have kippers and a few slices of nice bread lightly buttered. As for fishing forget it!;)

B

binka

Bacon and eggs, full pack of bacon and six to a dozen eggs fried in olive oil or butter.

There's absolutely nothing better when cooked by the water on a biting cold winter's day, usually when piking in my case...

I've yet to venture into frying an egg (in my entire life!) and was thinking of pushing my boundaries a little this winter.

What are the chances of ME getting one to the river without breaking it? :D

mikench

Reaction score
Steve if you provide grub like that I will come with you brass monkey weather or not!;)

robtherake

Reaction score
There's absolutely nothing better when cooked by the water on a biting cold winter's day, usually when piking in my case...

I've yet to venture into frying an egg (in my entire life!) and was thinking of pushing my boundaries a little this winter.

And that was all for you?:eek: I'd get three meals out of that little lot once it had bread wrapped round it.:D

Breakfast is when hunger strikes, which is usually mid-morning or thereabouts. A tuna butty or something along those lines, washed down with plenty of tea. When it's bitter I'll take a couple of flasks of tea - keeps the inner man warm and thaws out yer claws, too.:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Steve, that's great but your lacking in the egg department, drop em in quick and they'll be ready as soon as you've shoveled the bacon and sausages down your neck.

bracket

Reaction score
What a load of self indulgent wimps you all are. I just get up and go, no food or drink required. For me fishing is the luxury to be enjoyed whilst you can. Food and drink is for afterwards and readily available at any time. So just get your priorities right out there. Pete.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Have plan B at the ready.........scrambled eggs.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Porridge . . . . unfit for human consumption IMHO.

Remember, 95% of all Oats grown in the UK is sent for animal feed, the rest is wasted in making porridge.

Having worked in Aberdeen for a number of years and experienced many of my co-workers eating the stuff in the office was enough to make me certain never to eat it, ever.

Now, before venturing out for a day fishing I need a proper breakfast inside of me, none of that nancy muesli muck thank you very much.

My choice is always a full English breakfast, eggs, bacon, sausages, fried bread, mushrooms, baked beans and sautéed potatoes.

I don't eat if all that often so it makes a nice change and something special to add to the day's fishing, and it sets me up for the day ahead.

trotter2

Reaction score
All this talk about fried breakfasts had got me taste buds tingling .
Off to the shop smoked bacon and eggs this morning
Blinka this is your fault should be some law for posting pictures of that nature first thing on a morning

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
That looks great and makes my mouth water. Should keep Binka going until lunch!:)