Binka proof.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
After all the tales of woe, and the tales of destruction can technology come to the rescue and develop items of tackle that are guaranteed Binka proof.

Or is that a bridge too far?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
You must be 'avin a laugh!!

Lovely idea as it would set the standard for all us normal fishermen - I can see the little labels on items stating same - but I just can't see it...

Think of all the time saved when you go to buy something when all you need to do is check for the 'Binkaproof' label....Think of all the money he'd make in royalties - he could fish EVERY day!!!
Oh, he does that already, you say !

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
After all the tales of woe, and the tales of destruction can technology come to the rescue and develop items of tackle that are guaranteed Binka proof.

Or is that a bridge too far?

A bridge too far?
Operation Market Garden would seem like a stroll in the park by comparison . . . .

I reckon that to make anything "binka-proof" then you would need the assistance of an Elijah Price who would probably have to spend the rest of his life working on the problem.

Mind you, if successful then we could replace words like, indestructible, infrangible and shatterproof with . . . Binka-Proof

:)

rayner

Reaction score
"Binka proof".
Ok he may have the odd mishap but truth be told nothing fishing related or not is built to last.
It appears we are in the throw away age.

B

binka

If the magic formula is ever found could we start with a decent pair of river rod rests please?

Anyone doing any amount of river fishing in the 80’s will be familiar with ones like below, solid alloy frame with a decent heavy duty bit of tubing. Some even had a central ‘V’ insert in the middle with metal inside the tubing to keep the shape on the front rest and a solid brass angle tilt block with brass locking nut.

Others were less elaborate but just as robust and invaluable when wading whilst doing a bit of trotting in a fixed pegger…

The nearest I seem to be able to get nowadays is this woeful plastic rubbish…

And yes, this comes straight off the back of yet another broken one!

I barely touched it… :confused:

john step

Reaction score
If the magic formula is ever found could we start with a decent pair of river rod rests please?

Anyone doing any amount of river fishing in the 80’s will be familiar with ones like below, solid alloy frame with a decent heavy duty bit of tubing. Some even had a central ‘V’ insert in the middle with metal inside the tubing to keep the shape on the front rest and a solid brass angle tilt block with brass locking nut.

Others were less elaborate but just as robust and invaluable when wading whilst doing a bit of trotting in a fixed pegger…

Yes...and those rod rest heads that are plastic and you try to push them into firm ground.....they snap and the sharp hard jagged plastic cr@p cuts your hand to blazes:(:(:(

sam vimes

Reaction score
God knows what Mansfield is like these days since I retired!!!. :eek:mg::eek:mg:

An enormous pile of scrap fishing gear I should imagine.;):D

One item of Binka's gear that I always keep my eyes on is the Hardy Conquest centrepin. So many folks have blathered on about the weak plastic ratchet/ratchet lever. I've had no issue with mine, but felt sure that Binka would find the problem in short order. So far, he's been singularly unsuccessful as it still appears to be in one piece and functioning.

B

binka

I knew I was tempting fate!:D I do suspect that the reel is likely to suffer a catastrophic drop before the ratchet lever fails. Amazed it hasn't already.

I will have you all know that they're both in unblemished working order and I intend things to stay that way :p

smudger172

Reaction score
After reading the question i decided to call a mate who works for NASA. Explaining i was looking for an unbreakable material for the manufacture of fishing tackle. Using the full NASA development program he came up with a new material guaranteed to be unbreakable. This should fit your needs for anything fishing, but one word of advice there is a bloke who lives in Mansfield, dont let him near it, its not Binka proof.

True story: omg:

robtherake

Reaction score

Boyes stores stock a rest much like the ones in the top pic. It's about 15" wide and costs a whole English pound.:) You can bust as many as you like at that price.:D