A day to forget

mikench

Reaction score
Weather wise it was fabulous today and even though I had to come home early for the sake of matrimonial harmony, I enjoyed the day. We will not have too many sunny and relatively warm days now until next year!

Fishing wise I blanked( 2 hook pulls at the net, lost 2 loop tyers , got a float caught in the tree above my head and spilt a container of GB all over my peg. My phone had no power and whatever I tried failed!:( whilst of little consolation nobody else did either, even the bailiff , who after a mornings work fixing pegs, decided to show the novices how it was done. He blanked too. He and his colleague were moving around pegs that are always in the shade and which needed some tlc. They clearly have an engineering background and insisted on using technical terms for the state of the pegs: " this one is f****d too"

God bless 'em! I had high hopes for today but it wasn't to be! There is always next week:)

thecrow

Reaction score
No matter how long anyone has been at this game the angling gods always have a little nip to remind us it sometimes isn't easy :D happens to us all Mike better luck next time :)

john step

Reaction score
Yup...As the water cools it can get harder. Just adjust your methods/target species and your expectations.

Winter fishing can be very good at times but at other times a good day will consist of getting bites from anything, no matter how small.

If fishing was as easy as it is in the warm months there would be little variation.
I look forward to each season for the difference it makes.

Tight winter lines:)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fishing wise I blanked( 2 hook pulls at the net, lost 2 loop tyers , got a float caught in the tree above my head and spilt a container of GB all over my peg.:D:)

Congratulations. You have just become one of the renowned "Crabtree Bad angling award" holders....;)

mikench

Reaction score
If the prize is a centre pin reel just say and I will give you my address;)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I went fishing this afternoon with high hopes too

On a pond that usually produces I caught a bream of about 1lb and a carp of about 2.5lb in 3 hours

The bites where 4all day
Two bites didn't produce and two produced my two fish

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As others have said, blanks are part of fishing as you well know. Personally I think having a blank session is good and providing you leave the water having learnt something or with some idea what to change next time then nothing is a waste of time.

Winter is fast approaching when blanks are always on the cards and although I try to avoid them altogether I know they will occur. Having two blanks in succession - now that is a totally different matter!!!

Good luck on your next session.............................................

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I had 5 fish followed by 2 blanks sea fishing, its the way it goes but I still enjoyed myself. There's always plenty going on, bird watching, helped a couple of novices out, met a couple of people, one from my old town, a walk past the fishmongers on the beach to see whats coming in on the boats. A pot of tea outside on the beach on the way home in the cafe - You have to take from the day what you can.
I don't know if you river fish Mike but chub are always a good bet in the winter, they will feed all year round. I always found lakes harder than rivers when the water cools down.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As the colder weather approaches then you need to fine down your main line and end tackle as far as is safe to do so; switch to smaller hooks wherever possible and cut down on the amounts you are feeding.

In the colder weather you may only be fishing for a handful of bites in a day so make sure that your hooks are sharp and everything else is to hand.

Good luck.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Peters right, fish for bites and sharp hooks, I think I have missed a few lately through bad hooks. The other thing is these colder night temperatures and warm sunny days changing the water temperature all the time, fish don,t like that; they have to keep adjusting and I think they stop feeding. A spell of steady temperatures gets them acclimatized and they switch on again.

B

binka

Just wait until January when we're looking for that hour window around early to mid-afternoon which triggers a brief response before the temperatures begin to drop again :(

Although personally I've always found dusk to be a good time of day even in the coldest weather and looking on the bright side at least we'll soon be able to fish dawn and dusk within a few hours of each other :)

mikench

Reaction score
I intend to be far more ruthless with changing hooks and I will discard those that have been used even if only the once. I was using a new size 14 guru something or other 4" pellet band as it was. The mirror fought like stink and after several battles when it avoided the net, it was almost in when the hook pulled. I looked twice in the net just to double check so convinced was I that it was in.:)

I was very disappointed at the time and those few spectators hearing the splashes and lunges were urging me on and were astounded when i lost it! That's fishing!

I must be a bit miserly!;)