Winters coming

steve2

Reaction score
Where have all the fish gone, last week the river appeared to be full of Roach, Perch , and small Chub. Now not one to be seen in the lock cuts, the shallows, the deeper parts. I can only imagine that the change in over night temperature as moved them off to their winter areas, which is normally the out of bounds marina.
Anybody else noticed that the fish think winters coming?

john step

Reaction score
There has been a sharp decrease in temperatures and the colour dropping out of the water in my parts. The fish need time to adjust. Dusk would be a good time perhaps ??

B

binka

Dusk would be a good time perhaps ??

I think that is the key at this time of year when we're at that low, clear point in the rivers before they start to take on a bit of extra water and colour that the cooler months inevitably bring.

I wouldn't have entertained the swim I caught a nice perch from at the weekend in clear daylight but in the half light of dawn the fish were actively sweeping into it and feeding on the smaller prey fish before disappearing for the rest of the day once the sun got up and the mist burnt away.

No doubt to deep and darker retreats and areas which provide some cover well away from their predators.