Florescent float tip paint

Chefster

Reaction score
Hello there,after some info,i know a lot of you make your own floats..a lot of my pole floats,have had the tips blackened at various times,and i,d like to restore some of them to the original flouro orange,to a degree,i can clean the black off,but they need repainting...So what paint do you guys use please???all the best Gazza:D

sagalout

Reaction score
In the same kind of dilemma I have used humbrol acrylic paints, they are hard and water proof once once dry but not as good as the original float tip colours.

I have now resorted to making me own using bits from the float store on ebay, works out about 55p per float using the foam (h160) bodies, fibreglass stem and the latest quality eyes. Because the foam is water proof no paint is needed. The green tips are an excellent colour choice for my shagged out old eyes.

I have made the mistake of buying tips and eyes at 1.7mm thinking that 1.7mm is nice and slim for sensitivity but a 1mm stem in black kind of shows through so you don't get the best flouro effect. I am about to re-buy tips and eyes at 2.5mm.

The fibreglass stem glued all the way into the tip makes the float really, really tough, although the foam bodies suffer when they hit the platform at speed after a pull out, simple to remove and replace keeping the same stem, tip and eye. Cheap floats for misers like me.

iain t

Reaction score
I buy fluoro paint from hobby craft. Can't remember the name of it but it's from America. Comes in Yellow, Orange and red. Doesn't need to be vanished after but i have always used their semi matt gloss. I don't paint the tips just dip them it . Seems to get a better finish. Lasts for years

ian g

Reaction score
I'd advise a quick dip with white acrylic paint before painting with another colour . It seems to make the colour stand out better . I generally use acrylic paint from the Range , I think it Reeves.

Keith M

Reaction score
Revell do fluorescent enamel paints for model makers in matt orange, matt yellow and matt white in 14ml size which should also be fine for floats.
NB: they cost £1.70 for a 14ml tin

Keith

Last edited:
B

binka

I've been using non-flouro acrylics for mine.

Back in the day I used Sensas in those tippex type of bottles, still got some in fact but I wouldn't entertain buying 'em again having seen how cheap the flouro acrylics are in my local craft shop... Around £2 for a similar sized bottle.

rubio

Reaction score
As an alternate strategy you could use black silicone over the float tip when you need it rather than permanent marker. I try to keep a selection of red, yellow and black. It can obviously increase the diameter of the tip and reduce sensitivity potentially, but there are ways to adjust for this. I've got a few bits of thicker diameter black tubing for my wagglers too when I feel the need. Pop them on and off as needed. They take bristle grease well which helps to balance things out.

Chefster

Reaction score
As an alternate strategy you could use black silicone over the float tip when you need it rather than permanent marker. I try to keep a selection of red, yellow and black. It can obviously increase the diameter of the tip and reduce sensitivity potentially, but there are ways to adjust for this. I've got a few bits of thicker diameter black tubing for my wagglers too when I feel the need. Pop them on and off as needed. They take bristle grease well which helps to balance things out.
HAHA-ive actually got the drennan sight viz sleeves,but ,rather than get them out ,i just quickly mark with a black pen,when fishing in a match,i always think,i shouldnt do that,but ,i do:D:D

rubio

Reaction score
I think those are the ones I have. Use all sorts of other makes and brands but the sizes are good for just about every pole float I use. I can still sit for hours straining my eyes before I remember to change the tip tho. I've often been slow to learn, and now I'm ever more slow to rememeber.