Chasing big fish.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
For those of us that pursue this particular branch of angling it comes as no surprise to realise that along the way ''blanks'' will be inevitable. Especially if you are targeting a water with little or no track record to speak of, other than the odd snippet of info to go on.

Some guys on here have endured constant blanks in order to achieve their goal of taking a large fish.Many have succeeded and this is justification enough to inspire them. It's hard work but enough to discourage many.

Could you undertake such a venture given the above? And if so do you think your resolve would be strong enough after experiencing a string of blanks.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I could, and actually . . I did.

Virtually all through the late 80's I pursued big Carp to the exclusion of nearly all else.

I fished all sorts of venues from the early "commercial" lakes to a few very old estate lakes that took many weeks or months of research to get to fish them.

Even though in the first couple of years when there were more blanks than fish I kept the "faith" and slogged on searching for my 20 pounder.

Whether or not I cold repeat those feats these days I am very unsure about as there are just so many other challenges that take my fancy. Also, when I look back on the sheer single-mindedness of those years, and the self-centred attitude that I nurtured I am not sure if I really want to re-live that again.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Yes Derek,

I have and I still do, Perch from the Lea above 4lbs are my currant target and although you see plenty of 4lb + Perch from the Lea, they are usually caught by a few very good anglers.

In fact they are exceptional angler and I admire them a lot, as far as I know they all work for a living and it's early mornings and late nights that reap success.

It's not long term camping that brings success with these angler or with Big Perch, it's doing the homework and treading your own path.

Working hard on converting takes onto fish on the bank, which requires considerable effort on the rigs and presentation.

Bob

flightliner

Reaction score
Most, tho not all of my target fish have fallen to my rods over the years, one last winter finally some thirty five years from starting off my hopes for it. Maybe it could have come a little sooner but I allways tended to blow a little hot and cold in its pursuit as many of the waters I fished simply didnt contain one at the desired size. Maybe it was my philosaphy that "It'll find me before I find it" held sway for so long before I finally settled on a venue that gave me half a chance, even then it took me five years of trying some three or four trips each winter, so maybe It did come down to fortitude after all.
The only fish I need now is a double figure Tench, I've had a 9-8 so maybe as it was a northern fish I should settle for that as any long distance travelling down south these days is a bit daunting.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes, in my younger days I fished Billing throughout the 60’s and early 70’s. Anyone who’s fished it during the period will know what the feeling was like just to catch a couple of decent carp during a season. Also my son and I spent a few years during the 00’s on the hardly fished 98 acre Burghfield lake, not for the ‘Common’ – we left that to Terry;), but for the few elusive resident large tench and were rewarded with five good doubles. (My target now is a male tench double before Flight gets his female double;)) - so far it's 8.15 and hoping:))

There are quite a few others as well but the above will always remain in memory for the utter joy in catching just a few ‘special’ fish.

flightliner

Reaction score
Yes, in my younger days I fished Billing throughout the 60’s and early 70’s. Anyone who’s fished it during the period will know what the feeling was like just to catch a couple of decent carp during a season. Also my son and I spent a few years during the 00’s on the hardly fished 98 acre Burghfield lake, not for the ‘Common’ – we left that to Terry;), but for the few elusive resident large tench and were rewarded with five good doubles. (My target now is a male tench double before Flight gets his female double;)) - so far it's 8.15 and hoping:))

There are quite a few others as well but the above will always remain in memory for the utter joy in catching just a few ‘special’ fish.

Jerry, I had an 8 plus male tench, some twenty years back-- cant remember the ounces without checking my notes. :w
Ar'nt you in the right county now to up yours ?.

mikench

Reaction score
I live in hope rather than expectation! Size is relative!

At the moment I would love a 1lb plus roach and a 5lb plus barbel. I may have to be content with a special haddock but loads of mushy peas:rolleyes:

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Same to you Mick:D Sywell Reservoir is just down the road but not my sort of water. I much prefer the peace and quiet of our club's uncrowded gravel pits...that's if I can be dragged off the rivers..................
ha ha ha, Jerry, you saw thro my post---- classic! I take it you also fished the lake at Bletchley park !.:D

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
ha ha ha, Jerry, you saw thro my post---- classic! I take it you also fished the lake at Bletchley park !.:D

Didn't know you could fish it Mick, never managed to crack the code on the gate. Thought it was a medieval stock pond............:)

wawaw1867

Reaction score
I like to mix it up a little. There's no greater feeling than a rod bending double on a carp water or a barbel spot on the river but at the same time I love flicking a float out and a few of maggots into a canal or river, hitting "fish a cast" roach or skimmers. Then there's my club water which is great if you just want to sit on your chair all day staring at water :D I've recently decided I'm going to start river roving by joining Matlock angling club. They have stretches of the river Derwent with Chub, barbel, roach, trout, perch, grayling who knows what fish will bite, as well as a few ponds. I know where to go if I want a session that gives me arms like popeye, but sometimes it does get a bit (only a bit) boring, knowing what you're going to catch!!!

peterjg

Reaction score
Chasing big fish does not have to be slog, even the blanks can be enjoyable. Choose a target fish that you really want, fish a water that interests you and preferably has a bit of mystery to it and then just go for it! For 38 years I mainly fished for carp (mainly in the warmer months), now I fish for, but don't very often catch, big roach - which are much harder than big carp, it's enthralling.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Still trying on one water. The target is a double figure Tench from this pit, had some good fish and getting close. Endless amounts of blanks, but thats part and parcel of fishing these kind of waters.

It's more fun as I haven't got any info on the water, so it's doing all as i go along, thats what i like most. I don't want to turn up at a water knowing all the swims bait, etc etc.

It doesn't bother me if I blank when i set a target. Many of my mates just want to go and catch whatever comes along, i also have days when i will fish like that.

Also fished Burghfield lake back in the 80's for Tench, and Barbel on the Kennet.

terry m

Reaction score
As others have said, I have and I still do.

Strings of blanks can get you down if you are not careful, especially when the consecutive blanks creeps into double figures.

But the end usually justifies the means, well it has for me.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Well sort of!

I do fish certain venues that can and do hold fish of specimen size. My efforts in late Autumn/Winter are centred on chub from the Dorset Stour and grayling from the Dorset Frome. More specifically, my much preferred method is trotting a float with a centrepin. That doesn't preclude a lot of smaller fish but the definite aim is to have the big girls slide over the rim of the landing net.

My last fish of last season was a 7lbs 11oz chub from the Stour and I will be back again very soon. There are bigger fish in there!

My heaviest grayling last season was just shy of 3lbs and although I've had bigger from other rivers, a 3lb+ grayling is the definite target from the Frome.

Both "quests" are heavily influenced by prevailing river conditions but that just makes rivercraft that more interesting and important.

The only other time I've really chased big fish in a concentrated way is stalking double figure trout. Several seasons of very concentrated effort with lots of blanks ( very difficult to blank on a commercial trout fishery :) ) saw plenty of huge trout come to my net. Rainbows to 19lb+, Blues to 15lb+ and then finally the one that "cured" me of the bug, a Brown that weighed 21lbs 04oz.

I still go stalking once or twice a year but the days of "nothing else but" are long gone :eek:mg: