Deep water float fishing

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Evening all .

Had a bit of a cruise around today and looked in on what used to be a private pool now open to all this pool is how shall we put it DEEP scary in places for example 5 feet out and 12 feet deep and it dives away alarmingly to well in excess of 80 feet i know cus i used a reel with about 100 feet of line on and tried to plumb it ran the line out to the knot and was still going .

There are some very nice fish in there Carp Bream Roach decent perch and so i have been told some decent catfish , My question now has anyone used the polaris floats do they work are they worth buying i concocted a sliding float to try today and caught some of the Perch to around 1.5lb quite deep so they are there shold i buy polaris or stick with home concocted .

PG ...

robtherake

Reaction score
The problem with Polaris floats is their tendency to hang up when the line gets dirty, making it advisable to clean the line under the float every so often. Trouble is you only remember when the float's jammed in the tip ring:eek:mg:. The genuine Polaris types have two line slots, each with a different width, to accomodate different line thicknesses, which comes in handy.

Talking of Polaris, their Sidewinder is a great indicator for deep water, where a quivertip would end up at an odd downward angle.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I would use a sliding float rather than a polaris, nothing against Polaris, just prefer a Big Sliding float.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I had a mate who used a polaris a lot and it seemed to work OK but like Ray I prefer a slider as well. The problem at those depths you have to make sure the stop knot will travel through the rings. Maybe a float loose on the line, when the tackle settles, bury the rod tip in the water and wind down til the float cocks, set it up on two rod rests, depends on distances you are fishing but it will still register bites, if it pulls down or pops up and lays flat on the surface. beats surface drag as well. Not too a buoyant float maybe depending on what weight you have on the end tackle, if its a leger weight maybe OK, I suppose that would be float legering; a arsely bomb might suit.
However, I would try the margins as well, first probably and if I wasn't getting any bites go deeper, could be a case for two rods set up. Work your way out with the normal set up adjusting the depth till this became impracticable and then switch to the float/leger, sliding float or polaris, whichever you think best in that.
Its a new water so searching it at all depths might be worthwhile. Still, you seem to have done OK with your own version method so maybe carry on, just a few suggestions as to how I might try and fish it.

I remember a water like this when I was a kid, some sort of bottomless pit, only about 30 yds across, the legends it provoked, the monsters that lay in its depths....people had fallen in and got dragged under; never seen again, 1000lb Pike or some awful serpent; DONT FALL IN, LEAN NEAR THE EDGE OR DANGLE YOUR MAGGOT. NEAR THE EDGE, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN WHEN IT STARTS GETTING DARK.........

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Did you see the episode of"impossible fishing" where the 3 guys went fishing in the south Atlantic for some fish that lived at great depth. They wanted to be the first to catch one on rod and line; the problem was the fish lived over a kilometre down;)

They failed! Good luck to you anyway. I rarely get my Polaris floats to cock!:(

thecrow

Reaction score
12 ft deep 5 ft out I would be fishing the 12 ft by keeping back from the water and fishing under the rod top, at least then you would know that any loose feed not taken on the drop would be in fishable water not sunk into oblivion to be taken at whatever depth.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Ok thanks folks.

If my back is ok by sunday and at the moment it is a big IF i will give the pool a good old try see what i can winkle out of it .

I know the best place for Carp is on the far shore but you cant get near it big verticle cliff to what is supposedly the shallowest part of the pool a legde about 4 feet deep bit it is a mighty cast tp reach it .

See what happens Sundday with luck .

PG ...

flightliner

Reaction score
Try putting a float on your line bottom end only, then rig up a standard paternoster rig,
Some two or three feet above the paternoster place a number six shot to stop the free running float from tangling with the paternoster when casting.
Cast to the desired spot and the loose float will stay fairly close to the rod tip as the line runs thro the bottom ring.
Then set the rod on the rest with the rod tip some two feet below the surface at a steep angle, this will then have line from the rod tip going upwards to the float that is only some two or three feet away which then travels downward to the paternoster . Any movement on it is transmitted back to the float giving very positive bites.
It's a very efficiant rig and one that I used to use many years ago on Damflask res on the. Outskirts of sheffield --- a very very deep water, try it!.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
It's a very efficiant rig and one that I used to use many years ago on Damflask res on the. Outskirts of sheffield --- a very very deep water, try it!.

You're having a laugh Mick, only fools and PaSC try the "Flask"

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Ok thanks folks.

If my back is ok by sunday and at the moment it is a big IF i will give the pool a good old try see what i can winkle out of it .

I know the best place for Carp is on the far shore but you cant get near it big verticle cliff to what is supposedly the shallowest part of the pool a legde about 4 feet deep bit it is a mighty cast tp reach it .

See what happens Sundday with luck .

PG ...

PM me PG I'm sure I know the place you're referring to, the fish apparently are partial to takeaways

flightliner

Reaction score
You're having a laugh Mick, only fools and PaSC try the "Flask"

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

PM me PG I'm sure I know the place you're referring to, the fish apparently are partial to takeaways

Ifnc, I take your point wholeheartedly, lol. Keep my suggestion in mind tho, it does work well in deep water and its so simple.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
If I'm reading flightliners post correctly, I'm almost sure one of the old timer 'name' roach fishers (donkeys years ago) used a similar rig to catch huge roach, some well over 3lbs. For the life of me I cannot recall who it was, so when I get time I will have a look......

(Maybe Albert Oldfield? Anyway, someone of that ilk..) Very annoying when the memory lets you down!!

ps Slider fishing is an art form IMHO and a great way to catch good roach from deep water. Those Polaris jobies cost me a rod tip when the thing refused to 'slide' and jammed with a carp on the other end. Ugh !!!

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
TÇ, I had been shown how to use a sliding float a few years earlier by one of Sheffields top float anglers at the time. I had never heard of the way I describe for deep water tho, I just came up with it when I moved onto Damflask in the early sixties.
I,m not claiming to be the one who fished it first, far from it, many a method has been used by anglers in the past to overcome an angling problem before some other is credited with it's conception.
Was,nt it Albert oldfield who had some remarkable roach catches on the canals in the north west of the country in the fifties, I hope you can find the answer to your original question tho, it would be interesting to know.
Back to my original post, I forgot to mention that it's perhaps advantageous for the float of choice to be self cocking for best results.

IFNC----- it occurred to me late last night about your comments about Damflask and the PASC poor results at their fish ins.
With a glass of port in one hand , the other holding a big piece of cheese a good catch of fish isnt going to happen!:D