Smelly landing nets

mikench

Reaction score
I know that sunshine eradicates the fishy smell and I use this method. However are some nets better than others for removing the smell of fish(bream) when there is no sunshine?

I have 2 nets at the extremes of size . The small one is a Greys 14 inch spoon with rubber mesh and the other is aDinsmore 26 in standard deep mesh. It is this that stinks. I may buy one in between if I can avoid the lingering smell!;)

thecrow

Reaction score
I give mine a rinse with the garden hose and then peg it on the washing line, gets rid of any bream smell should you be unfortunate enough to catch one or god forbid two :eek:

seth49

Reaction score
I have one of the korum 26 inch latex nets,I find it's very good for not getting smelly with bream slime, it comes with its own stink bag which it goes into when rolled up.

Makes a big difference to the car stops the wife complaining as much too.when the car doesn't smell the day after a fishing trip like it did.

john step

Reaction score
Tesco and others do very cheap disinfectant. Usually pine. I use an old plastic storage box to rinse landing net and keepnet in a dilute solution.

Then dry it thoroughly. They can hang outside till they are dry.
If the weather is wet they stay hanging until they do dry.

I have many alternative nets so there is no chance of spreading fish disease.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Rubber mesh nets are the ones if you want to avoid the stink. Whatever net I use goes straight in the garden as soon as I get back and stays there until it's dry or until I go next. No stink.

But as Jerry says if you want to avoid stinky nets don't put brim in them. I've still not had one this year but if I am unfortunate enough to hook one that won't shake off its not going anywhere near my landing net !

Chefster

Reaction score
Just keep them in a stink bag!I dont understand why your landing nets smell anyway,i usually fish 2-3 matches per week,and none of my nets,keepnets or landing nets smell!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As already said, hang your nets in the garden between trips.

I fish several times a week so I always wash mine with a power spray as soon as I get home and then let it dry. Never had any smell problems.................Obviously, if you leave them in the car and allow them to dry there, well yes, they will stink to high heaven!!
I also use a light disinfectant from time to time - -the same one I use to clean the bird feeders.....

Good luck with the wife - she has my sympathy!!!

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks gents! I do hose them down and leave outside to dry and this work when there is sunshine.I guess I will have to be fastidious in the darker months! I will get another so I can always have a couple drying out.

I have forgotten them in the car on occasion ! I do not even like the smell of poaching salmon so a smelly landing net to me is best avoided!

seth49

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I do hang my net in the garden to dry, also turn the stink bag inside out to dry as well.

flightliner

Reaction score
Graham, I used to be in a well known pike anglers carp n pike syndicate.one day we were having a chat and I said it would be a good idea to put some bream in the pike lake as they would be a good addition to the pikes diet and any that survived would maybe be worth fishing for. He said the exact same you! :D

rayner

Reaction score
Hang em up till they dry, if they don't dry take another.
When they show signs of wear I buy another, the old ones are in my shed. They make good spares.
I don't bin them until they rot.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
OH DEAR!!!!!!!!!!! I had two today........BY DESIGN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a perch challenge. How about a pervert/brim challenge. Anyone admitting it??

I dont mind catching Bream they may not be the hardest fighter but ..

Might be an interesting one for next year a Bream Challenge

PG ...

fishplate42

Reaction score
I tried all sorts of things when I first started fishing to eradicate the smelly net problems. Like you say, bream smell is the worst but just dank river/lake water does not smell very nice.

I now rinse my nets in clean water when I get home and leave them out in the sun to dry (when available!) I then soak them overnight in a week solution of washing powder (Persil or the like). Rinse in the morning with cold water and allow to dry. The nets are odourless.

I also rinse out the stink bags and the fabric ones are turned inside out and hung up to dry.

I know, I'm a nut-case, but I just don't like dirty gear.

Ralph ;)