Increasingly finding is it worth buying Magazines - today

magicone

Reaction score
With more and more waters banning Groundbait, Bollies, Meats and Method fishing, and more.

I increasingly finding is it worth buying any fishing magazines today, as they all show how to fish with the above methods/bait and yet they can't be used by the average fisherman.

I don't buy magazines as much as I used to do, and saving myself money.

Chefster

Reaction score
No where i fish bans any of those methods or baits,so i dont know where you fish....i do know of a couple of venues that have a ban on meat in matches though..As for magazines,i find that the articles are always a few months out of date,and of no relevance or use anyway.,i do however subscribe to pole fishing magazine..for tackle,reviews etc..Gazza

john step

Reaction score
There must be natural waters in Mons. where there are NO bans. I thought the Wye was in your neck of the woods.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Most are private or commercial waters also I don't do rivers, although the Wye, Usk and others present good fishing.

I was going to say there's your answer, but I am guessing you like carp so maybe rivers are not a option. However, find any free stretches and you save money and avoids bans. I don't know these rivers though but it sounds like you could have some wonderful fishing your missing out on.
Magazines, I buy one very occasionally if a headline catches my eye but thats it.

old school

Reaction score
I buy old magazines because..........I love the smell of them.....I do like reading them as well.Happy days.......has anyone got any for sale?

robtherake

Reaction score
I buy old magazines because..........I love the smell of them.....I do like reading them as well.Happy days.......has anyone got any for sale?

The old mags seemed to have far less advertising. Coarse Fisherman was a quality mag with great articles and few adverts, which is why it couldn't compete in the end.:( I buy Match Fishing occasionally - the articles on feeding and presentation are terrific.

ken more

Reaction score

I got a load of old Magazines from a "friend", and i'm sitting there, Rod in hand, only to find all the pages were stuck together:eek:mg::w:)

sagalout

Reaction score
I have been buying Des Shipp's think-fishing video mag thingy ma gig. I have found it very interesting and I like his presentation style.

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
I do pick up Anglers mail quite often, Something to read in bed or lunch break at work. Cheap magazine compared to some.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
I often find myself amazed that the fishing titles continue as strongly as they do, given the existence of so many blogs, websites and so on... That said, I did recently subscribe to Salmon & Trout's digital edition so...

With my journalist's hat on I think one important thing that the traditional press offers is trustworthiness - the editorial process should mean that by-and-large the people giving the advice know what they are talking about* and that those writing the articles do so in a fluid and entertaining style.

* in theory, anyway ;)

dicky123

Reaction score
I find if you keep the old ones and bring them out each year, the same thing goes around. For me it's really not worth buying any magazines, I'd rather spend it on good bait. Some are nearly £4 that's two pints of wriggly things.:)

I do use YouTube however, and find something visual moving, and talking much better, and I cannot misrepresent ideas or methods. Yep watching rather than reading for me.

Jmo.

steve2

Reaction score
Had a quick look through them in WH Smith the other day. Nothing in them to make me want to buy one.

seth49

Reaction score
Since I'm doing more
carp fishing nowadays, and got my sights on a twenty pounder at least.
I have been buying Total Carp for the last few months, quite enjoy reading it and look forward to it every month, some good articles and information.
Still get angling times every week, have done for years.

old school

Reaction score
I find if you keep the old ones and bring them out each year, the same thing goes around. For me it's really not worth buying any magazines, I'd rather spend it on good bait. Some are nearly £4 that's two pints of wriggly things.:)

I do use YouTube however, and find something visual moving, and talking much better, and I cannot misrepresent ideas or methods. Yep watching rather than reading for me.

Jmo.

Two pints of maggots for £4,happy days,Down my way its £3.60 for a pint,rip off imo

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

Since I'm doing more
carp fishing nowadays, and got my sights on a twenty pounder at least.
I have been buying Total Carp for the last few months, quite enjoy reading it and look forward to it every month, some good articles and information.
Still get angling times every week, have done for years.

Good on you boy,used to really look forward to my Coarse angling today.

mikench

Reaction score
You should have bought fishing magazines Ken!:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 00:32 ---------- Previous post was at 00:30 ----------

....and endorsing either their own products or their sponsors!