Preston bait band 4inch hooks to nylon

mikench

Reaction score
Have several packs of these in 12 ,14 and 16 but I find that the plastic band lasts just about long enough to make one cast before breaking. It maybe the water that affects the band! Also when removing the hook from the fish whether with an exceed or forceps the hair breaks! It may be me or do others have the same problem?

Went through a complete pack of 8 today!:( however that tells you either I am totally incompetent or I must have caught some fish; I did, 10 common from 5lb to 7lb whoopee !:rolleyes:

A great afternoon after a terrible morning! Indeed after 3 hours of no bites I reeled in and went to have a chat with some falconers who were hunting pigeons and rabbits with red tailed hawks; such beautiful birds!

A great day!

robtherake

Reaction score
You could buy a loop tyer, Mike, and make your own, with the band tied into the loop. That way you can choose bands that are more hardwearing and tie them to your own choice of mono, although the Preston Reflo line is already pretty good.

Are the Preston hooks-to-nylon fitted with a finer hair material than the rest of the trace? It might explain why they're so susceptible to damage.

mikench

Reaction score
I have the Maver hair rig hook tyer Rob but i am basically lazy and cannot be bothered with fiddling about. The guru equivalent is fine so will stick to those.

I do make them from time to time just to test my eyesight ;)

mikench

Reaction score
I just might during the dark winter months but then if I want to catch fish with them I might not:) A hook is about 20p ready made!

mikench

Reaction score
I have some of these (guru)and find them superior. I will acquire some more!

Last edited:

wawaw1867

Reaction score
I have a maver hook tier and try to tie as many hooks as possible when there's something boring on the telly. Usually during an England game........

rayner

Reaction score
I just might during the dark winter months but then if I want to catch fish with them I might not:) A hook is about 20p ready made!

The cost is irrelevant, I prefer to rely on my own ability not some random.
Companies can't check every hook, I check every hook I tie.

mikench

Reaction score
I have made some hooklinks using a tyer but do find it fiddly and at the moment i would rather be fishing! I might try harder in the winter months.

I do make my own sea fishing rigs but with large hooks and thick mono, it is much easier imho!

I was critical of one make of method hooks but others, like the guru, are fine as others have said. Last time out i caught all my fish on a banded 8mm pellet. All the fancy coloured boilies, soft hookers etc produced barely a knock!

No doubt on thursday, using the same tactic, i will blank but that is fishing!

rayner

Reaction score
I have made some hooklinks using a tyer but do find it fiddly and at the moment i would rather be fishing! I might try harder in the winter months.

I do make my own sea fishing rigs but with large hooks and thick mono, it is much easier imho!

I was critical of one make of method hooks but others, like the guru, are fine as others have said. Last time out i caught all my fish on a banded 8mm pellet. All the fancy coloured boilies, soft hookers etc produced barely a knock!

No doubt on thursday, using the same tactic, i will blank but that is fishing!

If you're confident using ready tied then that's the way to go mike.
The sceptic in me gives me no confidence in other people I don't know.
I have always tied my own hooks since I was a kid, I first learnt to tie dubbed hooks since tying those everything else is a piece of cake.