Winter fishing

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome back Dave, we have missed your insightful Carp fishing posts.

What a week, both Frothey and Roto posting . . . . .

Last edited:

Chevin

Reaction score
One that catches Chub. ;)

Welcome back mate:)

Absolutely, I know it is a long time since I lived in the UK but I always figured that the first frosts were the end of carp fishing for the season. I never found the fishing to be great for anything during the cold weather, but four or so days into a mild spell was a brilliant time for chub and pike so I didn't bother with carp until the warmer weather in the next season. However, in those days, the waters were natural and, thankfully, pay and catch fisheries did not exist other than for trout.

cg74

Reaction score
Rig
Reels
Bivvy
Reels
Buzzers
Stainless
Hoodie
Kettle
4g reception
Bait
Location of feeding fish

Roughly in that order.

No rod(s) or landing net?

Are you suggesting you'd use the same rig for a 25mm boilie or 3 maggots?

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
your rig will/should be determined by the circumstances you are fishing in! We all have a starting point from which we must be prepared to digress from.
Winter session fishing demands that you put your comfort first otherwise you will not think clearly and or make dangerous mistakes. So a warm, well fed, dry comfortable angler is able to put more into his/her fishing than one who is cold, uncomfortable, hungry etc.;bp

Frothey

Reaction score
No rod(s) or landing net?

Are you suggesting you'd use the same rig for a 25mm boilie or 3 maggots?

Don't be ridiculous, if you've got the others right, the make of rod and landing net doesn't matter.

And yes, choddy with a size 2 hook for both. Or maybe that's where I'm going wrong, chods are a bit 2010....

Philip

Reaction score
Winter session fishing demands that you put your comfort first

Good point. I'll just stay in bed next time. Why swap that for an uncomfortable fishing chair stuck in a frozen mud hole in the pouring rain at 6am?:D

Last edited: