Frustration with birds

thecrow

Reaction score
Swans are imo the most stupid of feathery creatures that swim on the water but there really is no need for this kind of thing, if they are bothering you there are several ways of dealing with them none of which involve hitting them with a stick.

Maybe he was an EE who having failed to catch any fish for his dinner decided that swan would do just as well :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully someone will dish out some payback to the hard man.....stamp on his head a few times would be a good start!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
If it was Canada Geese i could understand it but Swans hope he gets his bits tweaked so to speak .

Wonder if he even realises that all Swans are Property of HRH The Queen .

PG ...

wawaw1867

Reaction score
If you're fishing a pond or river where birds are a problem I was told by another angler to go to an area away from your peg and chuck a couple of loaves in to pre - occupy them. If there is only a few this will fill them up and they'll not bother you. However I get a feeling that if I did this it would attract every aquatic bird in a 20 mile radius so not tried it myself.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
not all swans - only mute swan and only those on the Thames -

Yes, that is another "pub' fact" that is not entirely true.

HRH only has ownership and protection rights over Swans in the Thames valley, while in other locations titled families have laid claim to their ownership for centuries.
Although as Swan became unfashionable to eat, and other poultry became popular, then many such claims have fallen into a void.

The Queen's Swans are administered by the Honourable Company of Vintners and Dyers but only in a purely ceremonial manner.

B

binka

It's hard to comprehend that anyone calling themselves an angler, and appreciating all of the non-angling things that go with it such as the countryside and the wildlife, would be capable of such a disgraceful act.

I hope someone gets to hear who it was on the quiet and administers a more fitting kind of justice than any that is likely to be handed out by the courts in the unlikely event that the idiot responsible is caught.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
It's hard to comprehend that anyone calling themselves an angler, and appreciating all of the non-angling things that go with it such as the countryside and the wildlife, would be capable of such a disgraceful act.

I hope someone gets to hear who it was on the quiet and administers a more fitting kind of justice than any that is likely to be handed out by the courts in the unlikely event that the idiot responsible is caught.

too right .......................

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
No excuse for harming any wild bird like that, but swans are way down my list of feathered friends. Not quite as bad as geese though - which make an awful racket as they are always fighting and they cover the banks and pollute the water with poo.

Ducks on the other hand are great and truly silly birds. When i have been out on my own at a water for too long i have sometimes invited them over for a chat and a quack about the latest gossip.

Keith M

Reaction score
Abusing any wild life is a crime in my book; that total pleb needs locking away

Keith

Last edited: