Cleaning tackle

mikench

Reaction score
I wipe down the rods after use with a towel and rinse the reel spools in warm water every so often particularly if they are covered in gb or pellets. I find the line becomes a little sticky. I do not lubricate them.

What routine maintenance/ cleaning do others carry out and how often?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on the item of tackle and the type of use it has seen. Rods and centrepins tend to get the most attention. Centrepins really need care to keep them working at their best.

Rods get attention because I prefer to keep them in as good condition as possible to make them last. They don't necessarily need the attention for them to function properly.

I'm by far from the most fastidious cleaner of kit. However, I shudder to see the states that some folks allow their kit to get into.:eek:

thecrow

Reaction score
With my tackle being on the budget end of the scale I don't bother cleaning any of it preferring to wait until it is beyond cleaning and then throwing it away :eek: I do the same with my cars when the ashtray is full :D

Really the occasional wipe over is all mine gets.

Keith M

Reaction score
I give all of my rods and reels a thorough clean, and give my reels a good oiling just before spring arrives (usually in March).

Apart from my centrepins which get cleaned and oiled regularly I will only clean my rods and other reels when they get particularly grubby.

Keith

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wipe my float rods over with a wet one and keep the guides nice and clean to allow the line to slide freely through them. My pins are wiped off after each session to keep them performing nicely...only takes a few moments and pays dividens to do so.
Saying that I keep my hands clean anyhow and so my tackle never gets full of shyte. I've no idea how people can fish comfortably with hands full of bread feed etc, it only takes a moment to dip your hands into the water and wipe wipe them off on a towel!

sagalout

Reaction score
I wipe me pole down with wet wipes before putting it away that or the bedroom curtains.

wawaw1867

Reaction score
I just leave bits of my tackle in my pockets and the wife puts then through the washer :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just leave bits of my tackle in my pockets and the wife puts then through the washer :eek:mg:

I just did that with my mobile phone....it's fooked now :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

I'm not saying anything in case tigger chirps in........................;)

I'm surprised you haven't managed to bring sensor into it :D ;).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There appears to be a spurious "s" in your post. Your Sensor only has one good day would be more accurate.;):D:p

Lol Chris, you would be right if your talking line on my pins :)....thing is, the sensor on all my fixed spool reels stays on until there isn't enough left on for peace of mind, which may well be half a decade or more, at which point I tie the tag end of a new spool of sensor and wind on until nice and full again ;) :D.......

........oh, hang on I forgot something :p:p :D

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Lol Chris, you would be right if your talking line on my pins :)....thing is, the sensor on all my fixed spool reels stays on until there isn't enough left on for peace of mind, which may well be half a decade or more, at which point I tie the tag end of a new spool of sensor and wind on until nice and full again ;) :D.......

........oh, hang on I forgot something :p:p :D

Come on, tell the truth, you may own some, but you don't actually use fixed spool reels.;):p

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Come on, tell the truth, you may own some, but you don't actually use fixed spool reels.;):p

Sometimes i've gott'a use 'em Chris, usually it's the closed river season when i'm float fishing for tinca's etc. Occasionally I use 'em when legering on still and running water also. Then there's my lure fishing sessions also but you are right and most of my fishing is with a pin.....anyhow, I think your pretty much a pin convert nowadays n'all :D :cool:.

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Yes, I know it has good days - I remember you said you bin it regularly............:)

See above post :D :w.

B

binka

Every close season I do a major where everything gets stripped down, cleaned, lubed where necessary and reassembled, the whole thing takes a couple of weeks on and off.

In between it's usually on a need to be done basis, I no longer do the 'pins after every outing as they have been used too often for it to be practical but I make sure they're generally ok.

We're coming to the time when muddy gear starts to get me down as the riverbanks will soon be inches deep in the stuff with fluctuating river levels and I often think about overwintering on a nice wooden landing stage on some picturesque lake, away from it all.

Naah, where would be the fun in that? :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Pins after every outing without fail. Nothing like a bit of sand/grit/maggot dust to ruin them. Rods gets dried off if wet....also without fail....and cleaned/wiped down if covered in tom-tit. I particularly loathe the red dyed cork handle I get if I've been on the maggot.

Other than that nothing until the close season when I can easily spend a whole day trying to get fish scales off my zander rods & reels....especially roach scales which are the very devils to 1] spot and 2] remove.

Last edited: