thermal trousers

john step

Reaction score
Its that time to start putting warm clothes on for fishing. I have noticed adverts appearing for thermal lined trousers and joggers.
I was almost tempted, then I thought surely its easier to do what I normally do and use long johns and layer my clothes.

I then use a bib and brace which is much easier than struggling with a one piece or "cooking suit" as I think of them, as often one minute its cold then the sun warms everything up and you boil.

I buy thermal gear at the end of the winter in the sales. Funny how the prices are sky high at the start of winter.

Anyone else layer or just pile on a thick suit?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was almost tempted, then I thought surely its easier to do what I normally do and use long johns and layer my clothes.

I'll be stood mid river this weekend and that's exactly what I do, I wear an ordinary pair of jogging bottoms or trousers and a pair of thermal long johns underneath them. I wear an ordinary pair of socks and a over the knee pair of woolen socks over them which are pulled up and over my joggers and thermals. I find it much more comfortable to gear up like that and wear a pair of breathable waders than wear neoprene's...I hate neoprene waders lol.

If it's seriously cold and i'm on the bank I might wear the same gear but obviously without the chesties. Normally I just wear my normal gear with no thermals etc, just an extra hoody and tee shirt and a decent beanie to keep the heat in.Head, feet and core are the main parts to keep as warm as poss...especially the head!

flossy

Reaction score
Layers is better ,add as you need it , I've never been cold doing it this way

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Definitely layers.......Always thermals next to the skin, then add whatever extra I need on top of them to suit the temps.
A good hat and never without my snood, plus Muck boots and quality socks.

I wore this on Tuesday when it was very chilly in the wind, and the only time I felt cold was when I got home and took it all off!!

At 73 (and a half) the above is fine all through the winter, although if we have silly temps I stay home...................

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Layers many and thin .

I use thermal long johns and top (roll neck) then whatever other layers are needed as per temps outside if it gets proper cold then out comes the Korum two piece but it needs to be cold for that talk about wearing your own sweat box ..

PG ...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: The image that conjures up :eek::eek::eek:

John....calm down bud, we don't want you havin' a knee trembler at the thought of Binka in his sexy tights, basque and wellies LOL ....I think he might be pm'ing you for a session on the Trent :eek: :D.

B

binka

I am browsing through the X-rated Damart collection as we speak :)

Mind you, I can see the logic in it but some of the stuff is just downright weird...

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Until it's really cold - and I seem to feel it more than most - a bib and brace over my regular fishing clothing is all that's needed. Mind you, the one I'm using's from an old Sundridge Siberian two-piece that was complete overkill when jacket and pants were worn together. The jacket gave up the ghost years ago but the bib and brace seems to be impossible to wear out.:)

greenie62

Reaction score
I was given a pair of Asda Ski Trousers last summer - "Try these Greenie - they're too big for me - they might fit you ya big fat git!":rolleyes: - lined, waterproof trousers like a bib n brace without the bib but with built in elasticated braces. I started using them this autumn - excellent! Very comfortable but sometimes too hot! - they have zip ventilator slots on the knee-thigh area to provide a bit of cooling to one's nadgers.

The waterproof leggings are useful when removing hooks from fish in the net balanced across your knees - when the wet net tends to drip down your leg:eek:

Just checked the Asda website - they don't seem to have them in stock this year - maybe we're not in Ski Season yet!

Keep your eyes open for these Ski Trousers for autumn/winter fishing at the supermarkets - Aldi/Lidl tend to have some good deals on Skiwear at reasonable prices/quality too when in-season!

rayner

Reaction score
I wear all the same clothes year round. The only change is my bib and brace (sundridge) in cold weather and a warmer water proof coat, plus of course hat and neck gear.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am browsing through the X-rated Damart collection as we speak :)

Mind you, I can see the logic in it but some of the stuff is just downright weird...

I think it looks quite good Steve, the solar panel's a nice touch :D and the footwear is pretty much like some nice ones I have already :cool:.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
The sundridge sleeper suit..2 piece is fantastic.

Also I buy the German army camo gortex bib and jacket.
You can buy really thick liners for them also on ebay.

iain t

Reaction score
In the colder weather i may wear a thicker coat and a pair of my old TFG thermal boots but except for them i just wear my normal fishing gear. It has to get way below minus figures of temperature for me to start layering up. Am still wearing shorts and t-shirt at the moment. I do get some strange looks in December dressed like this whilst everyone is wrapped up.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I picked up a set of fleecy thermals in go outdoors a few years back.... designed I believe for skiing.... I think I paid just under £20 for the two part set. They've been a real blessing on a couple of winter days. Even been known to don them as late as April in and easterly breeze.

Other than that, it's layers for me. I also have a Sundridge "sleep skin" top that came free with my Igloo coat. That certainly takes some beating on a cold winter day, however the issue then is what to wear as you're walking to your peg. If it's any distance at all, I will fold up as many layers as possible in my chair and only put everything back on once I've cooled down a bit from the walk.