What are your favourite fishing films or TV shows?

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We'd love to know what your favourite fishing tv shows and films are - do you like the more sedate and thoughtful presentations of the past, or do you yearn for action and excitement on your screens?

Keith M

Reaction score
I get most enjoyment in watching films like 'The secret Lake' which featured Andy Orme fishing in a lovely remote lake and showed all the wild life above and below the surface during a days fishing; and the Chris Yates 'Caught in time' film and 'Passion for Angling' films and the 'Catching the Impossible' films featuring Bernard Cribbins and Martin Bowler.

I would also like to see both of 'The fishing race' and 'Golden maggot award' TV series that were filmed back in the 70s. Plus a few of the old 'Out of Town' fishing sections with Jack Hargreaves.

I am not really interested in 'how to catch Carp' films or watching Match fishing films as it is often more exiting watching paint dry.

Keith

Last edited:

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
You're not a fan of the more modern programmes then, Keith, I take it!?

thecrow

Reaction score
would also like to see both of 'The fishing race' and 'Golden maggot award' TV series that were filmed back in the 70s. Plus a few of the old 'Out of Town' fishing sections with Jack Hargreaves.

Programmes that would appeal to none anglers and anglers alike imo.

mikench

Reaction score
The more thoughtful programmes are preferred by me without the hype of a reality TV show. The Matt Hayes programmes are ok as well and at least look at all aspects of fishing.

The current "Impossible fishing" is irritating and is more Simon Cowell than Jack Hargreaves!

Keith M

Reaction score
Programmes that would appeal to none anglers and anglers alike imo.

These types of fishing programme probably attract a lot more people to our sport than a programme showing someone who is just sitting there catching carp while constantly plugging their own sponsors baits and other fishing tackle.
And we do need some fresh blood coming into our sport lest it eventually dies off and becomes a sport of the past Lol.

You're not a fan of the more modern programmes then, Keith, I take it!?

Some of them are OK but equally for some of them; I wouldn't be too upset if I missed them Lol.
Having said that; if I was a complete novice then I would probably enjoy them a lot more than I do.

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I liked the Passion for angling series and then catching the impossible... both series filmed by Huge Miles.
I need to see the videos made by Paul Witcher after seeing the trailers of them, they looked very good.
I also liked the old John Wilson programes.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I enjoed Passion for angling and the two the Matt Hayes and Mick Brown did

I can't stand those that start with some bloke saying

I'm here on a 400 acres lake that hold 40's and I'm putting in 5k of boiles to start then a spod mix that costs over 20 quid and I'll top up every few hours with another kilo of boiles

for me that not the sort of fishing I do

rayner

Reaction score
I have a dislike of angling programmes/films.
The enjoyment for me in angling is in the doing, I'm not a fan of watching.
The only TV with regard to angling I have watched is Fishomania, only because I have a bet.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree with Lord Paul about the excesses of carp fishing. Recently, whilst bored with the footie, Sons of Anarchy and everything else, i watched with the wife an episode of thinking tackle. We both watched incredulously whilst the expert mixed up his spod mix in a bucket, his ground bait in another bucket and something else in a third. The tins and bottles he had on his peg would have had me thrown out of both my clubs and must have cost a packet.

I had to reassure her that my endeavours were much more conservative and cost next to nothing!;)

On thursday it is going to be me, a rod and reel and some worms and nothing else!:rolleyes: Say a little prayer for me!

Last edited:

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
I had to reassure her that my endeavours were much more conservative and cost next to nothing!;)

On thursday it is going to be me, a rod and reel and some worms and nothing else!:rolleyes: Say a little prayer for me!

Our thoughts are with you!

It is really interesting to hear that people prefer the less technical stuff. Something we are coming to learn is that around the world there's a huge variety of formats and styles!

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Like others on here, "Passion" and "Catching the Impossible" rate highly, I enjoyed Matt and Mick's Great Rod Races and some of the early John Wison programmes. A few years back "A rod and rucksack" was promising but never got a second series:confused:

theartist

Reaction score
When you think about it there's been quite a few fishing programmes, How many canoeing,horseriding or hiking shows have there been if we were to compare other past times?

The modern ones hold up pretty well with the classics despite offering different formats and styles. It's refreshing that there's quite a few on mainstream tv and primetime as well.

mikench

Reaction score
Some technical stuff is good to see but the recommendations and advice is hardly impartial when the programme is provided by Korda, Diawa or other major sponsor. The same goes for articles in the fishing magazines written by a variety of highly skilled and experienced fisherman who are either out to promote their sponsors tackle, their own brand of tackle or their tuition/away days/coaching days! Is such a writer going to report that his rod is ****, his floats are expensive and you don't need 20 varieties of the same float or his pupils blanked completely and had a miserable time! Er i think not!;)

Fishing is a wonderful pastime and one to relax at and enjoy! Fishing programmes should be the same imho. However you can make whatever programmes you wish and I can switch over;)

john step

Reaction score
Anything atmospheric. What turns me off and I suspect many others is the loud shouting and exaggerated artificial excitement that some recent offerings have given.

Having said that my non angling daughter watches Robson Green but as an angler I detest his programmes.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I liked the Passion for angling series and then catching the impossible... both series filmed by Huge Miles.
I need to see the videos made by Paul Witcher after seeing the trailers of them, they looked very good.
I also liked the old John Wilson programes.

I also liked the Passion for angling series and catching the impossible. You can watch the complete series of aPFA on youtube either on your (smart) tv or laptop/pc, etc.

I've got Paul Witcher's 4 Seasons on the Hampshire Avon and Magical Waters Ian and they're both very good..........

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Did like the early series of John Wilson, the ones directed by Peter Akehurst. Basically they got me started fishing enthusiastically back in the mid/late 80's. Down on the Avon, Weirpool Magic, those sort of ones.

I always wanted to do a spoof show where he slips up in cow sh*t on the way to the bank, comes rushing out of the bushes pulling up his trousers with loo roll in hand etc all with the trademark laugh.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I also liked the Passion for angling series and catching the impossible. You can watch the complete series of aPFA on youtube either on your (smart) tv or laptop/pc, etc.

I've got Paul Witcher's 4 Seasons on the Hampshire Avon and Magical Waters Ian and they're both very good..........

BB, feel free to lend them to me if you so desire ;).

robtherake

Reaction score
The presenter needs to be at ease in front of the camera, but most of all he/she needs to be a very good natural angler with a keen, yet quiet enthusiasm that comes over well on screen. Many programmes have had the right idea but were severely let down by a lacklustre front man.

I have to say that I prefer the rose-tinted view of "A Passion..." and series' in similar vein, but I'll watch anything as long as it's reasonably well done.

My favourite TV moment was supplied by John Wilson, in the form of a boomerang-shaped pike that flapped free of his grasp and smashed his rod in two, with John exclaiming, "Well, that takes the bloody biscuit..." to the sound of the lake's duck population "laughing" in the background.:D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Apart from the old Hargreaves stuff and 'Passion' I seem to have missed most of those mentioned above. Never heard of the two series Jerry mentions but they do sound interesting if the titles are anything to go by. I have a few Cd's (yes, that old!) of Wilson and they're okay as long as I can get past his laugh...

I had hoped Hugh Miles might do something else, but.......................

Still, at least I have my books and a good imagination..

ps Jerry..............I take it the ones you mention are no longer available??