Baitrunners

mikench

Reaction score
In what circumstances would you always use these type of reels. I know about using with an alarm for say carp, but would you use them for other species?

Keith M

Reaction score
You don't always have to use the free spool mode when actually fishing; I use it when I'm initially setting up and threading my line through the rings; rather than having to have my bale arm open or trying to cope with the anti-reverse off and constantly getting tangled.

It also sometimes comes in handy when I need to move a netted fish onto the unhooking mat in a tight swim; before unhooking; without also having to move my rod round with the net.

I also occasionally set my reel in freespool mode whilst I'm having the very occasional pee so that my rod isn't pulled in before I can reach it.

NB: I do also use normal non-freespool reels as well of course but if I am bottom fishing for chub, barbel, pike or carp I will nearly always find myself using a freespool reel :)

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Keith that all makes perfect sense to me. Do you use it when you are fishing with a tip in freespool mode?

---------- Post added at 09:00 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

Is a straight lead the same as a bomb?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll generally use a baitrunner for all forms of legering. Whether I actually engage the freespool is another matter. On the rare occasion that I chuck a pellet waggler about on a commercial, I'm not averse to using a baitrunner. It allows me a bit of leeway to put the rod down, stretch, scratch my nuts, have a cup of tea, tie a hook, have a sarnie etc without worrying about the rod being dragged in.

robtherake

Reaction score
Any legering method for big fish entails a level of risk - anything over a couple of pounds is capable of having your rod in if your attention has wandered. The baitrunner negates the risk factor, although it isn't a panacea and it's irresponsible to use a runner next to snaggy areas, for example, where immediate control is needed.

So in answer to your question: yes, it's sensible to use a baitrunner when you're quivertipping for big fish, particularly with any kind of bolt rig. Even more so if you like to take in the scenery now and again.:)

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks Keith that all makes perfect sense to me. Do you use it when you are fishing with a tip in freespool mode?

Yes I still use a baitrunner when I'm Quivertipping but I only use the freespool mode if I need to take my attention away from the rod tip for a few seconds; or if I'm using two rods and get a take on one of the rods, I then switch the other rod into freespool mode until I can get the fish under control and can either submerge the other rod tip out of the way or get a friend to wind the other rod in for me.

NB: I will have my 'freespool adjustment control' (in front of the drag) set tight enough to not release the line too easily when in freespool mode.

Is a straight lead the same as a bomb?

Yes when I used the phrase 'straight lead' I did mean a bomb.

Keith

Last edited:

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Use baitrunners for my catfishing and pike fishing.

When I was getting my gear together for a Mahseer trip a few years ago ,most of the articles I read suggested using multiplier reels, but I wanted to use reels that I was used to using so bought two big shimano long cast baitrunners and used these , they were great .

robtherake

Reaction score
Use baitrunners for my catfishing and pike fishing.

When I was getting my gear together for a Mahseer trip a few years ago ,most of the articles I read suggested using multiplier reels, but I wanted to use reels that I was used to using so bought two big shimano long cast baitrunners and used these , they were great .

Were you successful, Simon?

keora

Reaction score
In what circumstances would you always use these type of reels. I know about using with an alarm for say carp, but would you use them for other species?

I use a compact version of the baitrunner when float fishing for pike. Most of the time pike pick up the bait and move off fairly slowly, and I will see the movement and strike before the freespool starts turning. They're good reels.

rayner

Reaction score
Baitrunners are on my feeder rods. I never use the baitrunner when fishing.
The only time I use it is after I've netted the fish to give free line as I pull the net back.

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Were you successful, Simon?

I fished the River Cauvery ( before they banned fishing there ). We fished from coracles , the river and wildlife were exceptional and I caught plenty of Mahseer though no monsters , had a couple of 20 lbs fish , biggest 24 lbs. I loved fishing from coracles and fishing with so much wildlife around me on a legendary river.