Bream

mikench

Reaction score
Having had a good day last week catching Bream and skimmers ( for me at least)
I was struck by the lack of fight in reeling them in. Even the biggest i caught at 4lb gave little or no struggle. I believe this is normal! A few caused the quiver to swing round , stop and for the line to slacken! However there was a fish on the hook! Odd!

Do really large bream ie 10lb plus struggle a bit more?

xenon

Reaction score
That was my experience too on the Fens and elsewhere-proverbial wet newspaper-like fight.
More recently caught a few decent sized ones on the Thames at Kingston-I can tell you they definitely pull back!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Mostly they can just be persuaded in on roach kit, but in the spring, they sometimes leap, which can be a bit of a shock. Especially when you hook them in eight feet of water and they can get a real run-up.

Every now and then you meet a "no surrender" one; **** Walker gives an account of one in "No Need to Lie", and for years, my best bream was a 5lb 9 oz tidal Thames fish which must have been training with the barbel, 'cos it just would not come off the bottom. Once it had given up running around, it just plodded upstream and down again, about a rod's length each way, with the rod hooped and line singing for what seemed like ages. I was expecting a decent carp, and almost joined it in the river when I saw what I was actually playing.

On reflection, it still is my "best" bream, though my biggest is now around 9.5lb.

Bill Taylor, who wrote "The Competent Angler" and had loads of huge bream bags around Oxford, reckoned that when you hooked one of these, that was your last bream of the day, and wondered if they were the "Boss" fish of the shoal, without whose leadership the rest would clear off sharpish.

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

P.S. If a shoal of fun-sized bream turn up in your roach swim, just a couple of rods out, try to unhook them in the water. If you can do this without any fuss, they tend to swim off again merely puzzled, and not shoot through the shoal in an I-have-seen-the-world-above-and-it's-horrid panic, taking the rest with them.
Of course, only try this if you want to catch a few more...

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies; it is as i thought.

Peter i was using an elasticated feeder on the method and it had hooked itself( which is what is supposed to happen is it not) but i was a little slow and the quiver had reverted to straight with a slack line! I then reeled in to verify if a fish was on. It was and perfectly hooked!

A carp would have continued to tug the rod sideways!

An interesting experience for me and a novel one!

---------- Post added at 05:29 ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 ----------

Alan how do I unhook in the water without getting in?:rolleyes:

greenie62

Reaction score
.....Alan how do I unhook in the water without getting in?:rolleyes:

Hi Mike,
I think in the context mentioned that Alan was talking about rivers where you can kneel down on the shingle - reach down to the line and follow it down the hooklength - and remove the hook manually.
The other way is to slacken off and the fish will often release itself from a barbless hook! - many anglers prefer to use this method when bream fishing so that they don't get the net snotty!:eek::eek:mg:

You may become an expert in this technique with practice - in that as soon as you realise you've got what seems to be a wet plastic bag on the line - slacken-off straight away and perfect the distance-release unhooking method!:D - just don't make a habit of it with other fish though!:D

mikench

Reaction score
A wet plastic bag is a very good description!:) They lie in the net as though dead and even when released they lie motionless in the shallows. I thought oh my god this is the first time on this water and I have broken a rod tip, lost a feeder on the island and killed every fish I have caught!:(

I am going again;)

Rog Hill

Reaction score
I've got just the swim for you Skippy on the Lower Itchen next month, guaranteed bream and eels. Don't worry if you're alone though we wouldn't wish to cramp your style.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Re unhooking in the water - as Greenie said, though I first discovered this at a lake with low platforms covered in float-eating chicken wire (a bit silly as there wasn't a float-eating chicken for miles) and it was cheaper to kneel down, hold the hook (barbless, natch)or run a disgorger to it and gently push...
First ensuring that nothing expensive is in your breast pocket ... phone, f'rinstance...

I blame carp for all this anti-bream feeling. Back in the days of proper angling, when the strongest gut broke at about 6 lbs and was so thick you could spear minnows with it, a decent bream was most people's only real chance of catching a "big" fish on their roach kit, and they were given due respect.

Nowadays you can't even fish for gudgeon with less than 3lb line in case of carp, and a poor ol' bream has no chance, though they're just as well-meaning and obliging as they ever were. Fickle,moody, ungrateful lot, anglers - ask any bream.

robertroach

Reaction score
I used to catch a few on the Hampshire Avon near Ringwood. These river fish are are almost a different species - hardly any slime and they really do pull back strongly in the current. Handsome fish too.

thecrow

Reaction score
Big bream can be very difficult to catch, I once spent one and a half seasons after some on a large reservoir, saw them most times I fished but never did contact one, the reservoir went on to produce fish over 15lbs.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Good sized river bream can give a decent fight, kiting around in the current and hugging the bed as others have said. They also seem to have less slime than their lake brethren.

Its the smaller stillwater bream up to about 3Ib that are most disappointing. A 6oz Perch would put most of them to shame.

The lying motionless in the net thing when you get them on the bank is useful though. Quite civilised really.