Multi rod use.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
For many years it was the norm to see both Carp and Pike anglers employing two and three rods. But how different today, multi rod use appears to have crept into many branches of the sport.

This is not a criticism, more of an observation based on recent events. Certain branches of our sport seem to remain constant, for example Fly fishing, trotting the rivers and lure fishing ''from the bank''. But in almost all other instances multi rod use seems to have become the norm, fair enough.

But where do you draw the line?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For many years it was the norm to see both Carp and Pike anglers employing two and three rods. But how different today, multi rod use appears to have crept into many branches of the sport.

This is not a criticism, more of an observation based on recent events. Certain branches of our sport seem to remain constant, for example Fly fishing, trotting the rivers and lure fishing ''from the bank''. But in almost all other instances multi rod use seems to have become the norm, fair enough.

But where do you draw the line?

Unless your fishing a vast water with natural levels of fish density then there's no need to use more than two rods, better still one rod....I don't think anyone should fish more than three rods anywhere....jmo ;).

thecrow

Reaction score
I have used 4 rods on a very low density gravel pit and had no problems (not many bloody takes either :))

Now I fish one when float fishing (no sleeper rod left to fish itself) on rivers it could be one or two depending on the swim I am fishing and daft enough which way the river is flowing, left to right seems easier to fish two, Small rivers I fish one rod for obvious reasons.

On high density waters I think two should be the maximum although at times one is enough but individual anglers should be able to make that choice as long as the rods are under the control of the angler

mikench

Reaction score
I struggle with one rod at a time! I always have a wry smile when i see 3 or more identical rods, with identical reels alligned in a perfect parallel only inches apart at the waters edge! I am in awe of these guys. My lines would all be crossed, I would pick up the wrong rod and inevitably;) fall over all 3 and end up in a mess!

I am limited to 1 rod at a time on all of my waters and that suits me just fine!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I draw the line at rivers. I'll use a max of 2 rods on stillwaters but I don't really like it. For some reason I get in a right old 2 and 8 if I'm lucky enough to actually hook something. This would only ever be 2 rods on alarms....never a float rod and a "sleeper". That way lies madness !

Very,very,very occasionally I have been known to use 2 rods on a river when barbelling but only when barbelling and only when I can fish one up and one down miles apart. Don't like it at all though.

rayner

Reaction score
One rod or pole does me just fine.
I used to fish a week every year through the 80s until 95 in Ireland and on the loughs I started to use two feeder rods for bream. I soon discovered when a shoal turned up one rod was more than enough.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It all depends on the water concerned and the technique being employed.

For many years I didn't use more than one rod. On changing techniques and venues I sometimes employed two rods and then, eventually three. I'm quite comfortable using two rods and eventually became comfortable enough using three. On the rare occasion that four rods have been appropriate and allowed, I have tried, but find that, though I can manage, I can't really get comfortable with four rods. As I prefer float fishing, I still tend to spend the bulk of my time using a single rod. While I can understand up to four rods in the right environment, I can't get my head around float fishing with a rod/pole on a commie whilst having another leger rod set up as a sleeper. I've seen that lead to far greater trouble than four rods on a big low stock water.

There are an awful lot of people fishing multiple rods because they can, not because they should.

mikench

Reaction score
I am a one rod man ! Anymore is just greedy:rolleyes:

One float to keep an eye on is enough!

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm perfectly happy to use a sleeper rod (with a baitrunner) as long as there's room in the peg to do it and there are no snaggy areas for a hooked fish to make for. The term "sleeper" is actually a misnomer, as this rod is fished just as actively as the other. It's usually dropped in the margins, so the feeding is easily managed alongside the more intensively-fished float outfit.

If two leger rods are employed it's no longer a sleeper - just a second rod fished in a different area. If things become hectic I'll reel one in. I don't fish any low-density waters so have never felt the need to add a third rod.

mikench

Reaction score
That makes sense Rob. I am stuck with a one rod rule! I think all my waters are low density; plenty of fish in them allegedly but all non too keen on fishing;)

Keith M

Reaction score
I will only fish with 2 rods if I am having to wait a fair time in between takes, and I never use more than two rods.

If I am after barbel I will hardly ever use more than one rod as I'm always either trotting a float or touch legering.

If I am float fishing I never use a sleeper rod simply because I am spending all of my concentration on my float and don't want to be hindered by having another rod getting in my way as I search the swim with my float.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Mainly one rod as most of my fishing is on the smaller rivers and streams (trotting/spinning/running lead(feeder). I do use two rods on some of the large, low density, gravel pits for tench and carp.

trotter2

Reaction score
On rivers I have noticed if I use more than one rod strangely I don't seem to catch any more.
The amount of fish I catch is more relevant to the peg and how many fish you have in front of you. I came to the conclusion you can only catch what is in the swim.
And for me one rod set up correctly can do that for me ok.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As a famous fisherman once said, if the fish are feeding one rod is enough – if not one rod is too many......................:)

B

binka

A bit of a mix for me depending on what I'm doing.

Generally one rod is the norm and two can sometimes feel like a bit of a job but pike and zander always tends to be a two rod affair unless I'm live baiting when it's strictly back to one.

I do some winter big pit fishing where I will use a two rod setup for perch.

Basically it's the balance between stocking density, probability and keeping things nice and relaxed but each to their own :)

chrissh

Reaction score
I always take two rods with me and set both up but only fish one at a time, feeder rod & float rod and swap between throughout the day depending on the day and the venue

flightliner

Reaction score
Float fishing then just the one but feeder/ ledger then often as not it's two.
Used three on occasions when pike fishing long ago but am happy with two these days.