Changing times.

dicky123

Reaction score
Derek raised an interesting thread about multi rod use. It brings me to a pet peeve of mine.

While I don't wish to offend anyone, what really gets me going is the way river fishing, specially barbel fishing is turning into a long term waiting game.

Some swims are occupied 24/7 with anglers pitching up in bivvies for the long haul. It's just my own view but I think river fishing should be restricted from dawn to dusk, if only to rest swims, and give others a chance.

It's been happening for years now, guys camp out days on end, catch a big fish then think that's how it's done. It's the guys that work full time, have family commitments and run a hobby around all that, I have admiration for, especially ŵhen they turn up a whopper whiskers.

Also why would anyone set up a bivvie just for daytime fishing, I really don't get it. But again it's could just me, I'm old school. No offence to anyone.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Having all the time needed to do the long stay thing, but little of the inclination, I have a slightly different perspective. I can understand the way you, and no doubt others think, but it can smack a little of green eyed monster. No one forces particular lifestyle choices on anyone, so if a job or family gets in the way of fishing, it's no one else's fault but the individuals. Moaning at long stayers is not a huge step away from moaning about the retirees, bereaved, wealthy or persistently single that have fewer limitations. I don't much like getting out of bed, but I don't moan about those that get up at the crack of dawn to bag the best swims. Good luck to those fortunate enough to be able to go when they want for as long as they want coupled with adequate finances to make the most of it.

However, some long stayers do seem extract the urine when they are allowed to get away with it. If it's a genuine issue, rules can be implemented by the controlling authority to limit the problem. It certainly doesn't have to mean the implementation of dawn to dusk fishing. Implementing dawn to dusk fishing doesn't necessarily make a popular peg any easier to get on anyway. I know of syndicates, clubs and day ticket waters that have rules in place to limit the activities of "time bandits".

With regards to rivers, I can only think of one peg, on one river, that is invariably taken, until it gets a bit nippy/flooded at least. That peg is rather unusual in that respect. The one I have in mind may well be the one you are referring to. I have fished it myself, with no luck in getting on it involved. There are ways and means to get guaranteed access to it if you really want it. However, it's not the be all and end all. Plenty of people don't have the gear to fish it really effectively. Some of the anglers in that one (a;)) peg would actually be better off fishing somewhere else. Most of the rest of the stretch concerned is excellent and often all but deserted. Even at the busiest of times you can get a peg somewhere.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
If its the( one ) I too think it is then just let the circus get on with it as Sam says there are miles of bank available nearby.

I stopped going there ages ago when I started getting crowded out. There are just so many places where big barbel haunt and you have hundreds of yards to yourself.

Who wants to fish cheek by jowl anyway.

mikench

Reaction score
Agreed. An empty water is lovely; of fellow anglers I hasten to add!:)

I hate a crowded lake where you are watched, cannot just cast where you want and where you feel that every move is being noted and inwardly commented on! I usually go elsewhere.

Keith M

Reaction score
Derek raised an interesting thread about multi rod use. It brings me to a pet peeve of mine.

While I don't wish to offend anyone, what really gets me going is the way river fishing, specially barbel fishing is turning into a long term waiting game.

Some swims are occupied 24/7 with anglers pitching up in bivvies for the long haul. It's just my own view but I think river fishing should be restricted from dawn to dusk, if only to rest swims, and give others a chance.

It's been happening for years now, guys camp out days on end, catch a big fish then think that's how it's done. It's the guys that work full time, have family commitments and run a hobby around all that, I have admiration for, especially ŵhen they turn up a whopper whiskers.

Also why would anyone set up a bivvie just for daytime fishing, I really don't get it. But again it's could just me, I'm old school. No offence to anyone.

In my view; most of the time when you see someone on a smaller river use a bivvie Its Carbelling not barbelling, they often use Carp rigs and leads that wouldn't be out of place on a large lake, while they sleep in their bivvies and leave their tackle to fish on its own in freespool mode, and then wonder why they are not catching many barbel, and the ones they do hook have taken them through tree roots or around rush beds etc.

Most thinking anglers wouldn't dream of fishing for barbel on a smaller river in this way. although I see nothing wrong with someone using an alarm on very low volume or on remote vibrate.

On a river that I fish which has a couple of very popular barbel swims we have a mini draw in the car park at dawn to decide who will fish the best swims so everyone gets a chance.

A lot of the time these very early risers seem to pack up at around 5 or 6pm anyway so if like me you mainly fish during the evening hours then you will get a fair chance of dropping your baits in at some of the most productive times anyway.

Keith

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
With regards to rivers, I can only think of one peg, on one river, that is invariably taken, until it gets a bit nippy/flooded at least. That peg is rather unusual in that respect. The one I have in mind may well be the one you are referring to. I have fished it myself, with no luck in getting on it involved. There are ways and means to get guaranteed access to it if you really want it. However, it's not the be all and end all. Plenty of people don't have the gear to fish it really effectively. Some of the anglers in that one (a;)) peg would actually be better off fishing somewhere else.

Great peg for a game of five aside football while waiting for a barbel to come along.
Good for firework displays as well!.

dicky123

Reaction score
Sam, guys.

It was written to be a little toung in cheek. I too can fish anytime as I'm retired, so I'm not in the least bit jealous, or green eyed!

Let me give you an idea of what I'm on about.

Yesterday, I arrived at the river and fished a peg some 150 yards downstream from the only other angler. For the next 4hours all I could hear was his buzzers, constantly ringing out. In the end I walked up to see just how many he had. His reply was none. So I asked why ( in a polite way)his buzzers were so active. It seemed he was fishing with maggot feeders that were too light, so they constantly rolled across the river, causing the buzzers to ring out on every tiny movement. Why they didn't drive him as crazy as me I'll never know.

Is that being antisocial, me or him. I genuinely cannot see a need for buzzer fishing for barbel on a river. At night were it is allowed ok, fine, but it seems to me the current modern anglers simply want easy fishing, even if it disturbs other anglers.

To be fair after that things did quieten down, and we didn't fall out, in fact we had a nice five minute chat. Skill can catches fish, not every little modern item of tackle.

sam vimes

Reaction score
We've had many such conversations on here. Sadly, there are plenty of inconsiderate idiots that indulge in all kinds of fishing. However, your latest post bears little relation to the original post.

An individual being inconsiderate/stupid is not a good reason to ban methods or items of tackle, nor is it a reason to impose dawn to dusk fishing. If the guy had fished an appropriate feeder, or simply turned down his alarms (or put them on silent using a vibrating remote), from 150 yards away you may not even been aware he was there.

I sometimes fish alarms and have done so when chasing barbel in the past. However, I'd be mortified if anyone in the next peg could hear them, let alone 150 yards away. In the waking hours, the heads will be on silent and remote on vibrate. At night, the heads will usually be on silent and the remote just loud enough to wake me from my slumber. The truth is that I'd sooner avoid alerting everyone to the presence of fish in my swim. To do so simply invites people to set up close to you.

benny samways

Reaction score
I've being having this debate with myself recently.

A few big barbel have come out of the G.Ouse to anglers bivvied up for 3 days at a time.

Nice captures, nice fish, but not for me. I fish on my terms, and like to catch fish quickly. Not waiting till one decides to roam through my swim 2 days later.

Rarely, up untill this season, have I seen anglers on the bank for 3 days at a time.

To me, if you want to fish at night for barbel you stay awake and hold the rod, look at the tip. I thought everone had the same ethics/view point but obviously not.

Everyman can do as he pleases, its only fishing. I understand the hypocrisy in what I am saying as I am prepared to do 3 days at a time on lakes after carp!

But, to me, bivvying up on small rivers for barbel is just not cricket.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'e nothing against overnight fishing, often it's the best option but I m against people camping for days on a river river swim....out of effin order for other members of the club who've paid a membership and want a session on the swim.....especially for the first few weeks of the new season!
I'm only a member of two clubs and one of them has a no bivvy on their rivers rule, and a 12 hour limit stay on a peg, personally I agree with that, especially through the earlier summer months. Lets face it if no one else comes and you want to fish longer then you can pinch a little extra time but to hog a swim for long periods of time is out of order imo.

john step

Reaction score
The questions of alarms on a river.
I cannot see the objection to alarms on rivers as long as they are quiet enough not to annoy others.
I had a few days on the Swale this year and wouldn't dream of using one on such a small river where you can fish and watch the rod easily.

However I use them (quietly or on vibrate) on the Lower Trent for barbel which is a different kettle of fish . Pun intended.

The flow and distance often requires heavy leads/feeders and a pointy up rod.
To senior buffers like me this is most uncomfortable giving a crick in the neck.
An alarm gives me a moment to react during those moments of inattention or impending sun blindness whilst staring into the sky.
It doesn't mean anglers using alarms are not sitting next to their rods at the ready.

Philip

Reaction score
Ok I know I will probably get laughed at here but I got fed up with lugging buzzers around & have recently started to use those bells that sea anglers use on their rod tops.

Honestly for short sessions using bolt rig tactics close in they are absolutely spot on. I recon they will make a come back.

They weigh zero, cost literally nothing and do the job. Bet Nash or Korda will market one before too long.

You heard it here first ! ;)

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I'e nothing against overnight fishing, often it's the best option but I m against people camping for days on a river river swim....out of effin order for other members of the club who've paid a membership and want a session on the swim.....especially for the first few weeks of the new season!
I'm only a member of two clubs and one of them has a no bivvy on their rivers rule, and a 12 hour limit stay on a peg, personally I agree with that, especially through the earlier summer months. Lets face it if no one else comes and you want to fish longer then you can pinch a little extra time but to hog a swim for long periods of time is out of order imo.

tigger

I quite agree with you, but I think the onus is on the clubs to make rules prohibiting long stays on the rivers.

In the past I have Carp fished on rivers, but only river where it is allowed and they had 24hr only stay rules.

It's completely inconsiderate on small rivers, but on big rivers like the Thames or Trent I'm sure there is room for everyone > ?

Bob

Philip

Reaction score
Once they've decided whether to put a £24.99 or £29.99 price tag on it to justify the camo finish! :eek: ;) :D

Precisely. I even thought of a name for them..."Margin ringers"

philip-albums-misc-picture4333-rod-bell.jpg

Vibration sensing technology for instantaneous audible and visual bite indication night and day for the serious angler in a featherlite nano sized package cleverly designed to fit to any rod on the market in seconds and without the need for batteries or external power supply. Available in a choice of colors. They will take your angling to the next level.

Only £24.99 (+P&P) or £29.99 for the limited edition “stealth” camo version.

PM me if your interested…. ! :D;)